1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/13/20 1:28 p.m.

Painted the seats, and tried to get the look of the houndstooth on my Delica. It came out terrible. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/13/20 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

If it's any consolation, there's no way I could pull off a complex pattern like that either. Actually, what you did achieve is a kinda tiger-stripe effect that looks cool.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
4/13/20 2:00 p.m.

Got the engine painted and assembled. That was fun. Ferrari flat 12 cylinder engines are a pretty cool design.

Only took me 4.5 hours with a bunch of google images of the real thing for reference. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/13/20 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Jeff Mosing :

As a kid, I had both 1/43-scale and Matchbox-sized versions of the Starsky & Hutch car--even though I was too young to get the show. (And if undercover cops, why the flashy car?)

Cannot wait to see how this build turns out, and thanks for sharing. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/13/20 3:49 p.m.

I think this color is going to turn out nice.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/13/20 5:42 p.m.

Well as of now I am stuck for supplies. I have Molotow Chrome on the way. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/13/20 6:23 p.m.

After some light sanding, I laid down my first coat of color on the outer pieces tonight. The paint is much more metallic than I was expecting, but after a few coats, I think it should look pretty good.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/13/20 6:25 p.m.

Another update, bunch of littles details where add and I drop the body on frame (just resting, not final position) to have an idea of final product...

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/13/20 6:49 p.m.

Well better late than never we are doing a build too! Should go twice as fast having a second set of hands yeah even if they belong to a 3 year old?

hope it turns out as it's been about 15 years since I've built one in school

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/20 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Yelo :

Please tell me you have some RWB decals for that!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/13/20 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

It's like being 14 again. 

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/13/20 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Yelo :

Yes, very RWB.  Just needs a bigger front splitter making it almost totally undrivable... :)  Looks great though!

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/13/20 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

Put a black wash on the silver parts and a gray drybrush on the black parts and it will really pull out the details.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/13/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry! I don't...

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/13/20 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Benswen :

Thanks! The splitter is not install yet, but it won't be as big as RWB does...  RWB cars are a lot wider than that too, the wheels I have are for an RWB car, I had to cut almost 3/16 of the outside of each to make them fit this car.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/13/20 8:55 p.m.

I haven't even thought about building a model since...well since I got my driver's license. Someone bought my 6 year old this for Christmas. He got pretty bored pretty fast but helped as much as a 6 year old can and is excited to display it in his bedroom.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/20 10:03 p.m.

Primed. 

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/13/20 10:11 p.m.

Well the excitement sure died with my little girl when it was opened and nothing looking like a car was peaking out. Looks like I'm in this for the week now so hope to have it finished!

what is everyone using for glue? The tube gel like one or the liquid jar glue?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/13/20 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Kanek :

I generally prefer the glue that's gel-like, so it stays where you want it and doesn't make a mess.

4/14/20 12:04 a.m.

Trying to match the terracotta interior color.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/14/20 7:05 a.m.

Facebook link, so it won't be here long (screw you, Zuckerberg!). Just needs bumpers and decals. Revell Boss 302. Lots of positives with this kit and a few minuses. I'll make a review video of it sometime this week.

I was pretty nerve-wracked about the 2-tone on the hood but it came out perfect. I used some leftover 1:1 pinstripe tape to get the crisp edges, better than masking tape. Not yet sure if I'll bother with the narrow stripe decals as there are 'issues' using them.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 9:31 a.m.

Man, you guys are killing it, super impressed by all the artists here. I'm going to have to step my game up if we have another round. 

Got the decals completed and a little touch-up painting done last light on the Focus RS.  Learned a few things in the process.  I still really berkeleying hate the decals, and if the kit has sat around for 8-10 years those same decals get brittle.  No amount of water soaking will help either.

Oh well, I'm just going to keep telling myself it's a rally car, and it should have a little wear and tear.  I think I'm going to attempt to give it some road spray/dirt today.  It will either be a great success, or a total failure!! 

4/14/20 9:37 a.m.

In reply to carczar_84 :

Remember to mask off where the wipers go before you weather and that a little goes a long way!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/14/20 10:12 a.m.

Might wanna put some scrapes on the roof too, since it's McRae's car and all. laugh

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 10:27 a.m.
slowbird said:

Might wanna put some scrapes on the roof too, since it's McRae's car and all. laugh

I had some "issues" with decals on the rear wing and the front bumper, so yeah, they are going to get a few scrapes, haha!!

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
efWwaE9CK9DRNLC71qy6UKbNeptospovUvKaQ3ef0jGU2LDVrpqfidHWXGN8YSrV