1 2
Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
1/9/18 12:47 p.m.

This morning I pulled this Abarth 750 out of a shipping container where it has sat for a bit over a year. It has been raining and in the mid 40's for the last few days. The container did not leak but anything metal inside was wet. The interior and exterior of this car was wet. Condensation in the gauges and beaded water on the inside of the glass level of wet. 

The container has vents on the sides. I would say a fan forced system would be crucial. I will also say it was quite unpleasant to get around a car even this tiny to push it out.

jstand
jstand Dork
1/9/18 12:53 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I know that would be the case in my yard. When I put my fence in I hit water at 6" when working in the lowest corner of the yard, 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
1/9/18 1:01 p.m.
jstand said:
D2W said:

One of the things we do at work is fab shipping containers into custom containment for other things. It's very easy to add ventilation and/or dryers to a unit. Getting in and out of your cars would be a pain. I would probably suggest adding some access doors. They are tough and would last forever. They can be moved very easily if needed.  They are also ugly sitting in your backyard. With all that said I wouldn't do it, there better options for storing a car.

I wonder if in the right location you could bury it to make underground storage for your car. you'd need to make a ramp and also have the right soil/water table conditions.

Once you have the ramp made you could build a small shed to hide the ramp, ventilation equipment and keep out the weather.

Bonus points if you can sneak it by your HOA.

If you had a hillside I think you could bury any number of containers, and make a killer shop by cutting out sidewalls and attaching them together. You could even stack them for multiple levels, or higher ceiling heights.

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/9/18 1:45 p.m.

Jumper, what kind of vents does yours have?  Mine has the spinning ones that the wind turns.

Containers have zero side load capacity, buried the soil will crush them.  There is really not a good affordable way to get them to work underground.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/9/18 2:10 p.m.

As an additional bonus, they will float.  For a few minutes anyway, then they go down.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
1/9/18 4:19 p.m.
8valve said:

Containers have zero side load capacity, buried the soil will crush them.  There is really not a good affordable way to get them to work underground.

Not true. The corrugated sides are made from heavy gauge mat'l, and can take a substantial load. Again I build things out of them. Think about the twisting loads put on the container when you load 40K lbs inside of one and then pick it up with a forklift or crane.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
1/9/18 5:04 p.m.
8valve said:

Jumper, what kind of vents does yours have?  Mine has the spinning ones that the wind turns.

It had a 12X24 louvered panel on the back upper right and another on the front left side. Both were welded in about 12" below the roof line.

It was just one that someone was using for storage. I don't know anything about how or why it was done.

jstand
jstand Dork
1/9/18 5:31 p.m.

If you’re going to do it, you should buy them now.

They are going to be the next big thing for hipsters:

Container park in Las Vegas

SWMBO and I were in Vegas in the fall and walked around this place. It was pretty neat what they could do with shipping containers. 

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/9/18 6:09 p.m.
The corrugated sides are made from heavy gauge mat'l, and can take a substantial load. Again I build things out of them. Think about the twisting loads put on the container when you load 40K lbs inside of one and then pick it up with a forklift or crane.

I'm no expert, but folks can search "bury shipping container" and see for themselves how that works out. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bury+shipping+container&tbm=isch

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/19/19 8:52 p.m.
SVreX said:

I rent a 40' Conex.  I've got 3 cars in there, plus parts.  They are just as wide as a car trailer.  

No issues sweating, etc.

Curtis said:

I did this exact thing in L.A.  The parking lot was big so the owner let me put a 40' container on it which I used as a garage/storage.  When I left for the summers I would put two cars in it.

In L.A. it wasn't bad because it didn't rain much.  The containers don't leak but they're far from sealed.  When its rainy or humid, the air inside gets just as humid as outside and then its partially trapped.  It can get musty but its honestly one of the best storage options.  A vent fan is recommended for areas that are rainy or wetter than southern CA.

I have choice of container or open parking lot space. I prefer shade. Price is same. I can fit two cars in a 40 ft container. However, this is in So Cal. So it gets hot. Do you see any issues? I can take it out once a month if needs. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/19/19 9:09 p.m.

is this out Agua Dulce way ?  Where its 100F  5-6 months of the year.....just sayin :)

We packed a full size Dodge van in a container and i drove it in , crawled out the window and slide under the van to get out...... 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/19/19 9:10 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

is this out Agua Dulce way ?  Where its 100F  5-6 months of the year.....just sayin :)

We packed a full size Dodge van in a container and i drove it in , crawled out the window and slide under the van to get out...... 

Rates localy so far for 2 cars:

indoor - $500 a month

Outdoor - $380 a month.

If I go to Agua Dulce - outdoor $120 a month.  40 foot container - $180 a month.  

I am looknig for 6 month storage only, because my location where I store 4 cars, is going through reneovation, and I will complete that around June. in the meantime, I don't want to street park. My neighbors already hate me, because I don't have a G Waggen or a Range Rover and my cars are cheaper than what their gardeners/pool boys drive. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/20/19 12:09 p.m.

It is very expensive to move a shipping container.  The people who sell them will delivery them, and then you have married it.

A built some sheds to store my cars,  they were very cheap to build.

Perhaps you can gut a motorhome and store it inside, it can be moved easily (if it runs) and motorhomes are allowed.  Paint it camo.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/20/19 12:24 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Crap, I was hoping you were still in GA -- I need a solution like that ASAP!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/20/19 7:06 p.m.

A friend's mom offered, side of driveway (behind closed door). 2 cars for $150 a month. I am debating that vs a closed container. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/20/19 7:35 p.m.

Have these cars lived out in the rain before ?

I assume the roof will  dump the water on you cars , unless there are gutters.....

But that's a decent price :)

Good luck

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/21/19 7:49 p.m.
nderwater said:

In reply to SVreX :

Crap, I was hoping you were still in GA -- I need a solution like that ASAP!

No, I am outside Columbia SC

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/21/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

She offered it for 120$ a month. None of my cars have ever seen rain or weather. But these 2 will have to for next 6 months. Made agreement with her, will be dropping them off tomorrow 

there are roof gutters. She said I can make my carport if I wanted. Wonder if I can do two cheap carports - 30 feet is what I need 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zt1MfY3YGTUgSWY3sP7ik5ZqlW6bEOe3KgZGfuXgHWwZ0KvIJGFO1bvXaofCuHYL