1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/21 11:31 a.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

The Covette is BY FAR the better car, but I'd bet the Cobra is a whole lot more fun, even just driven normally, to ice cream and back.

Automobile Magazine did a comparison test between a continuation 289 Shelby built by the guys at Shelby American and one of our V8 Miatas. Most of it was driving around the beautiful mountain roads near Boulder. The Cobra overheated cruising at 40 mph and had to take a half hour rest at the side of the road. Needed a little more work before you'd take it on an ice cream run :)

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/21 12:08 p.m.

Sounds like a personal priorities decision. "What am I going to like more? This classically cool hot rod that will draw attention and take a lot of input on the track to dial in- or this polished modern car that will do insane things and not be temperamental- but won't attract as much interest on or off the track?"

EDIT: Friday night I did a point-by for a C7 as we approached some turns. A few seconds later as he blazes thru everything in sight you can hear me in the video "SHHHEESH THAT'S A FAST CAR!"

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Keith, do you have a link to that? That sounds like a good read

Keith Tanner
7/18/21 12:23 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

It's not a great article, unfortunately. Possibly because it had to fit in the magazine. The little Cobra lie-down was not mentioned, but I got some great pictures of the Shelby as I got left at the side of the road with it while the others took off in the Miata :) The conversation around lunch was really good though.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/v-8-roadsters-flyin-miata-habu-and-shelby-amercian-cobra-csx8000/ 

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/18/21 1:07 p.m.
Trent said:

I have worked on and driven 3 Backdraft roadsters. All had the Roush 427 motor and were based on BMW suspension components.  Every time I am excited by the prospect of BMWesque handling in a gorgeous retro body with surplus power. Every time I am fatigued by the exhaust volume in less than 10 minutes and never get the chance to have any fun with them.  They make hooligans with unmuffled Harleys seem quiet and reserved.  The only things louder on the streets are lifted diesels. Kids with straight piped VQs bow before the king of annoyingly loud that is a "cobra"

Someone earlier mentioned running a quieter exhaust under the car. There is simply no room under there.

I have lost over 40% of my hearing to decades of work in industrial manufacturing,  I don't have enough left to sacrifice in the name of cars. If a car makes my ears ring I won't drive it, period.  

Lots of options to quiet down a FFR cobra.  First, I ran a 302 with cats instead of a 427 with long tube headers.  The cats help noise/smell a lot and IMO 427 power is only for car show bragging rights.  I prefer usable, under control power.

Then you can use a quieter muffler design like this one:  Boig Motorsports Quiet Pipes

I've seen other options like turning the exhaust exit down, adding supertrapp mufflers to the exits, adding a crossover H-pipe, etc.

P3PPY
7/18/21 1:10 p.m.

You're right. Reads more like ad copy than a comparison/review. They could have done a lot more with that. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/18/21 1:10 p.m.

I'll just drop this here. :-)

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/500000-miles-in-a-factory-five/

Keith Tanner
7/18/21 1:14 p.m.

It was just a fun mention - everyone loved the way the cobra looked and sounded and smelled, but when you refer to another car as a modern Cobra you acknowledging that the original is not. 

P3PPY
7/18/21 1:18 p.m.

I can only imagine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sNODRbEiVj1GXzuRdywaPVNF9sf3we5MVo3Ex2pIWFDWZdKicy7MVkgZhhtrS8PX