singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/17/17 1:40 p.m.

I lowered my volvo PV544 3" and need shorter shocks.The eye to eye length of the stock front shock are 11".The stock rear shock measures 18" from eye to stem.The car weighs 2200.Given this information can you help me pick them.Not a lot of options for the 544 shocks.A shock from any vehicle application that'll work for me is great.Thanks in advance.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/17 1:52 p.m.

I read that as short socks and I was very confused...

Burrito
Burrito Dork
5/17/17 1:54 p.m.
grover wrote: I read that as short socks and I was very confused...

Are you suggesting he find a pair of crew shocks?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
5/17/17 2:03 p.m.

These two links might give you a good start. Looks like you'll need to know both the extended and compressed lengths, too. For weight, I'd cross check the part numbers with what vehicles they are designed for and look for something near (or a bit heavier for stiffness) to what your PV544 weighs.

Monroe Shock PDF
KYB Shock Lengths

-Rob

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
5/17/17 2:08 p.m.

Depending on how they attach, upper and lower, you could look at the shocks that were used on the mid-sixties torsion bar front suspension Mopars.

We've used these on the drag car because they have a rapid drop rate with good rebound. As I recall, the collapsed height is around 10/11" and an extended height of 17/19".

Might be just what you need, worth looking into, again, depending on the upper and lower mounts.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/17/17 2:25 p.m.

S10 blazer 4x4 second gen.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/17/17 2:54 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: S10 blazer 4x4 second gen.

Ouh Ouh, I got Just started parting out my 99 4WD blazer

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/17/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

The front shocks top and bottom mounts have "eyes" that a bolt goes through to install them.

The rear shock has an eye on the bottom of the shocks a bolts goes through to mount it.The top mount is a threaded shaft that goes through the body and is held by a nut screwed on from the top.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/17 5:11 p.m.

If you're looking for performance shocks, AFCO will happily make you custom ones to the exact dimensions and damping capabilities you need. That's what I did on the MGB.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/17/17 5:43 p.m.

In reply to singledownloop:

Assuming the front shocks still use the same mounting (eyelet on the bottom, stud on top), I might have something that could work for you. A few years ago I bought a pair of Spax adjustable (spring perch and damping) racing shocks. They happen to be 11" from the lower eyelet to the grommet mounting point.

I bought them for a Spitfire, but they are considerably shorter than stock and I don't want to lower the car that much.

They are old (blue paint instead of the more common yellow), but they have never been used. PM me if interested. I didn't pay much for them and I really need to reduce my crap-level, so I'd sell them cheap.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/17/17 5:47 p.m.

Keith i'm looking for a shock I can walk into any parts store and purchase.I am looking at American compact cars as well as foreign cars that we have a lot of,datsun z,rx-7,etc.for a possible solution.I'm cheap so budget doesn't allow custom ones.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/17 5:50 p.m.

That's why I specified performance shocks. If you're just looking for something that fits, I'd start with the Monroe catalog posted earlier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7c5B3ZkeCzz3uAX5TV7aGIjBISLEpkv2LWNFasDsaZRFpiZ73plJTLODiQQmtZLj