1 2
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/9/14 6:19 p.m.
Will wrote: In reply to Duke: What year? Could be a V1 vs. V2 issue. We had another local guy running a V1 for a while and he never had any problems either.

This is my question as well. So far I've only seen that one video of the V2 wagon. Regardless, fuggit, I'll be there Sunday with nanny aids OFF. ;)

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/14 8:34 p.m.

Dude, just pull the fuse. There are tons of people with eye-witness accounts of the airbag deploying, why take the risk when the fix is so easy?

Airbags are expensive. Pointless risk is pointless.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
7/10/14 9:36 a.m.

I autocrossed the V for a full day at turner field in Atlanta with the Startingline special. All the videos Ive seen of air bags deploying are V2's. Not V1's. It was a good time and look forward to doing it again in the V. The video link below is synonymous to how I felt Autocrossing the Caddy.

http://youtu.be/IYYJ8ZG-HK8?t=45s

Big girl can move!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/14/14 6:50 p.m.

Great weekend. All nanny-aids off. Car was surprisingly neutral. Throttle modulation cured all driver-sins. I still have airbag burns on my anus tho.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
7/14/14 7:16 p.m.

Good to hear! Its a fun time

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/15/14 3:26 p.m.

i've never heard it called an air bag before, but thanks for the compliment!

Will
Will SuperDork
7/15/14 3:36 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Great weekend. All nanny-aids off. Car was surprisingly neutral. Throttle modulation cured all driver-sins. I still have airbag burns on my anus tho.

Sorry I ended up missing it, but I'm glad it went well. FYI, we just lost that lot effective immediately. We're searching for a new venue.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/14 3:37 p.m.

Probably poopy and his anus burns are to blame for that.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/15/14 5:15 p.m.
Will wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Great weekend. All nanny-aids off. Car was surprisingly neutral. Throttle modulation cured all driver-sins. I still have airbag burns on my anus tho.
Sorry I ended up missing it, but I'm glad it went well. FYI, we just lost that lot effective immediately. We're searching for a new venue.

(I know nothing of your group or that lot)

Why?

Will
Will SuperDork
7/15/14 7:26 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

I don't think I want to get into that here, but I will say in 4 years of running at this venue, we've never had a safety incident, insurance claim filed, or (to my knowledge) complaint from the neighbors.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/16/14 12:31 p.m.
Will wrote: In reply to mtn: I don't think I want to get into that here, but I will say in 4 years of running at this venue, we've never had a safety incident, insurance claim filed, or (to my knowledge) complaint from the neighbors.

For the record, for once, I can honestly say I'm pretty sure I'm not responsible for this.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/16/14 12:44 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Will wrote: FYI, we just lost that lot effective immediately. We're searching for a new venue.
(I know nothing of your group or that lot) Why?

Because, unfortunately, for the average venue owner there's almost no advantage to letting autocrossers use it, while there is a very large perceived risk in doing so.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/16/14 4:56 p.m.

Well, it happened at today's autocross: side curtain airbags deployed in a 2013 Camaro. Smooth course, no violent maneuver or terrain. He just over steered a little - just a wiggle in a slalom - and there was a loud POP. Driver came to a stop in the next turn because the car shut down. Both sides deployed, but not the forward ones, luckily.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/16/14 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Duke:
So, who pays to replace the airbags?
Car warranty?
Insurance claim?
Out of pocket?

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
8/16/14 5:10 p.m.

That sounds like what happened when I was at willow springs last year. I think it was the last turn on the big track and a camaro cut it just right and POP. Side curtains.

I didn't actually see it but the event organizer is who I heard it from.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/16/14 6:19 p.m.

Heh. He better file an insurance claim. That ain't warranty. He can try to go after GM but rotsa ruck wit dat. The insurance company is gonna squawk too, with no police report.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/17/14 9:14 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to Duke: So, who pays to replace the airbags? Car warranty? Insurance claim? Out of pocket?

That's the big question. Frankly, if it was me, I'd go to GM first. The trigger was nothing more than might have happened pulling out of Wal-Mart a little enthusiastically after a milk run. Yesterday's autocross was on a tiny lot and it was right after a tight 180. He couldn't have been going more than 30 mph, if that. I don't know how much telemetry they can pull from the ECU for the preceding 30-60 seconds of driving.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ipp2CwEnmiv6gctpOZwvfn7ET5WgpobiXr1R5pxsLPgtiA72ZPCDmskFKvjNAuUR