1 2 3 4
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/23 8:06 p.m.

A buddy is selling a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII coupe that was his father's until he passed away.

Specifics I know:  75k, mild cosmetic damage on the front right fender, but haven't seen it yet.  It has one electrical gremlin that he's trying to sort out - the power seat doesn't like to work until you use the power steering wheel tilt.  One owner, garage kept, a stack of dealer service records, yada yada.

What should I look for?  Do the car 4.6s have the same self-destructing exhaust manifold as the trucks?  97 should be a single coil - no COP, right?  I think these were the ones with the plastic intake that liked to crack, but Dorman has me covered there.

What are some other common issues?
He just started researching pricing so he hasn't come up with a number yet.  How much would you pay for it?

KBB says $2000-3500 PPV depending on options
NADA (which is now JDP) only lists retail, which ranges from $2100 up to 9200.  Thanks JD Power... for nothing.

Blunder
Blunder Reader
5/25/23 8:26 p.m.

I believe the suspension on these are a little pricey when they go out if you want to keep the air ride. Pretty sure a manual conversion on these is decently documented. Just saying!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/25/23 8:38 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I’m thinking someone on here has one of these and maybe a build thread?  That should be the 4 valve 4.6 in that, it looks cool as heck.  $4K? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/25/23 8:46 p.m.

The rear suspension is air ride.  When that fails due to age the economical replacement is traditional coil suspension replacement.  Look to see if that has been done.  

Offered from '93-98 and over the years they got a bump up in HP.  This being a '97 would be the max HP.  Just like 10 or 20 hp more than the early ones but its something. 

I like these cars and my initial reaction is to tell you to get it if you like it.  But, don't pay to much.  These, surprisingly retail for much less than what you might think.  Sedans have gone out of vouge and 2 door cars (that are not real sports cars) have gone even more out of vouge.  

I'm convinced that asking prices and actual selling prices are very far from each other.  Like a Maserati BiTurbo, the sellers think they have something special and it was very special to their grandfather who bought it new and buffed it with a clean diaper.  But, finding a buyer is much harder.  

We ran one is 2015 Challenge in The Aristocrats Class because even then you could buy them as cheap horsepower.  When I say "we" ran...this car made no less than 20 drag passes at the Challenge in the hands of no less than 10 people.

Parking Lot Build, Aristocrat Lincoln Mark 8

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/25/23 8:55 p.m.
Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/23 9:00 p.m.

I had a 1993. It was awesome. At 50k the trans E36 M3 the bed. Sad to see it go. Super highway car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/25/23 9:10 p.m.

He's a buddy - cut you a deal.  $2500

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/25/23 9:17 p.m.

Check the code dates on the tires.  This is afterall a 25 yr old car driven only 75k.  The tires could easily be 15+ years old.  Factor the cost of tires into the equation if you plan to DD it.  

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/25/23 9:18 p.m.

Sweet. We these the ones that lowered at speed? 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/25/23 11:08 p.m.

I really liked those when they were new, kind of an exotic car for the time. I'd take one today.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/25/23 11:49 p.m.

Can I get the same deal if you pass on it? 

5/26/23 9:24 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Sure.

5/26/23 9:28 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I helped a buddy change his over to coils many years ago.  This was on a Navigator, but I assume it's a similar process.  I think he paid $1300 for all four corners and we were able to do it in a day in his driveway.

I think if he hits me at $3k I'll buy it.  He's a good friend and has mentioned he wants to get a good price to help his mother, so part of me is thinking this is an opportunity for a cheap car, and part of me is willing to go $500 or so higher to help his family.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/23 10:10 a.m.

This would be a wonderful car for a distinguished gentleman who might be accompanying a beautiful lady to an evening at the theater for a gala/benefit.   

It will also run 14.8 in the quarter if you remove all the interior!

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/23 10:17 a.m.

$2700 would be my ceiling if you were looking for one prior, $1800 would be the cap if you weren't. 

Mention the challenge and running it if they want more than $2k. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/23 10:52 a.m.

Oh, it's a coupe. Yeah, just buy it.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/23 10:58 a.m.

My brother-in-law was fond of the say that "Two elephants for a nickle is a good deal but, only if you have a nickle and only if you need two elephants."  I feel like that might apply here.  Buying stuff just because it's available and affordable can be a slippery slope. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/26/23 1:00 p.m.
APEowner said:

My brother-in-law was fond of the say that "Two elephants for a nickle is a good deal but, only if you have a nickle and only if you need two elephants."  I feel like that might apply here.  Buying stuff just because it's available and affordable can be a slippery slope. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/26/23 1:04 p.m.

Love these things.  I would call them the modern(ish) day Ford Fairmont.

Go over to the You Tubes and watch Tony Angelo on his channel "Stay Tuned" and see what he's been doing with his Lincoln.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/26/23 1:04 p.m.

Oh, and there are two answers on this forum: "Yes" and "Miata".  I don't see anything about a Miata. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/26/23 2:27 p.m.
APEowner said:

My brother-in-law was fond of the saying that "Two elephants for a nickle is a good deal but, only if you have a nickle and only if you need two elephants."

This is hysterically funny, and I can't help but think that it might apply here.  That said, if such a car was offered to me for a good price, I'd almost certainly buy it.  The Mark VIII has always kind of appealed to me in a way that I don't fully understand.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/26/23 5:01 p.m.

Looking at them on marketplace in my area; they're CHEAP! 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/26/23 5:29 p.m.

I'd drive it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

5/26/23 8:41 p.m.
APEowner said:

I would agree if that were the case.  I've been looking for a second car for years now.  I had my hearts set on an X308 XJR, but the ones in my price range kept slipping away before I could put my butt in them.  Then the pandemic happened and prices went nuts.  I'm still looking, but the right one hasn't presented itself.

I had asked the question years ago on here (which led me to the Jag and the outside possibility of an older S-class).  Basically I'm looking for something with some class and cush that isn't going to break me with repairs.  Something I could pick up a date or attend one our black tie fundraisers without driving in something that screams "Molester van."

Above all, I also want something that gets better than 15 mpg on days when I don't need the van for van things, as well as something I can drive if the van is in the shop

But, you're right.  A nickel for two elephants is a great deal... because I have a nickel and I actually want the elephant.  (the elephant being a car that might fit the bill of something reliable and has a little swank to it.)  I never set out to look for a Mark VIII, I set out to find a nice luxo cruiser.  Hence why I was asking about some experience with them before I drop coin.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
5/26/23 8:47 p.m.

Definitely a car that is pretty cool to those who know what it is, but most people won't see it it as anything more than some old blobby 90s car.

See also: late 90s Buick Riviera

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EHFSxfMkv3WQeBkYLaTBXmqN7hc4GTO00P0kTF8bwhAioXukkbKPsKUJMP1n6oeY