1 2 3 4
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/26/23 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I can't imagine getting better than 15mpg on any older gas S-class. Diesels sure but they're slow and loud. Possibly the inline 6 W140's? 

Have you looked at Lexus LS400's and SC400's? They're common and really good at everything without being high maintenance and troublesome. They stole so many sales from BMW and Mercedes in the 90s. Lexus is the reason that Mercedes unsuccessfully went to cost-based engineering in the mid-90s to early 2000s.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/26/23 10:24 p.m.

That thing is freaking cool. Don’t overthink this, buy the damn thing! laugh

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/23 6:56 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I would agree if that were the case.  I've been looking for a second car for years now.  I had my hearts set on an X308 XJR, but the ones in my price range kept slipping away before I could put my butt in them.  Then the pandemic happened and prices went nuts.  I'm still looking, but the right one hasn't presented itself.

This one has presented itself with some needs that you could certainly sort. Is it an X308?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/23 8:16 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Definitely a car that is pretty cool to those who know what it is, but most people won't see it it as anything more than some old blobby 90s car.

See also: late 90s Buick Riviera

I'm 53.  It took me years to do it but I finally quit giving a berkeley about what other people see or think.  It's liberating.

BUY IT NOW.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/23 8:59 a.m.
yupididit said:

Have you looked at Lexus LS400's and SC400's? 

I have, and I personally don't like them.  The engineering part of me loves them.  The designer part of me says "oh, that's precious... an accountant tried to design a luxury car."  

The driving experience is about as joyful as an Accord, and the styling.... let's just say it doesn't appeal to me.

5/27/23 9:01 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I would agree if that were the case.  I've been looking for a second car for years now.  I had my hearts set on an X308 XJR, but the ones in my price range kept slipping away before I could put my butt in them.  Then the pandemic happened and prices went nuts.  I'm still looking, but the right one hasn't presented itself.

This one has presented itself with some needs that you could certainly sort. Is it an X308?

It's an X350.  Not a bad car at all, but not my first choice

Will
Will UberDork
5/27/23 9:23 a.m.
John Welsh said:

A Lincoln Mark 8 build thread:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-lincoln-log-daily-driving-a-23-year-old-luxobarge/185135/page1/

Hey, I recognize that car/thread. If things go well I'll be lowering it this weekend. Holler if you have questions about Mark VIII life. IMO the 4.6 is more or  less indestructible if you follow basic maintenance. But make sure the headlights work--the only replacements are junkyard units. And it's not a deal-breaker, but check the trunklid neon. If it's bad, you can get a new ballast on ebay for $100 or so.

5/27/23 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Will :

Thanks, Will.  I read through the thread and it looks like a solid bet.

I'm assuming the shortblock (aside from being aluminum) is standard mod motor?  Is it basically the heads that make it an InTech?  If so, I've seen 4.6s go 350k, and two of my own going 250k without much complaining.  Initial research shows an 8.8" IRS and 4R7oW, so those are pretty easy.

I will have to shop for wheels.  Not a big fan of the chrome apple pies on it.

5/27/23 9:42 a.m.
John Welsh said:

This would be a wonderful car for a distinguished gentleman who might be accompanying a beautiful lady to an evening at the theater for a gala/benefit.   

It will also run 14.8 in the quarter if you remove all the interior!

But then where would that beautiful lady sit?  

Part of me would love pulling up to a black-tie event in a caged turboed challenge car.  Anyone have an LS swapped Pinto I can borrow for our next event?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/27/23 9:49 a.m.

Must be a photoshop.....this looks like Curtis in a suit with that pretty lady.

5/27/23 11:24 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Right?  It's been over a year with her and I'm still smitten.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

And not even a good photoshop.  "Black tie", indeed.

The Lincoln has a certain appeal, that's for sure. I don't have much to contribute -

(pause for laughter)

- but would be especially conscious of the fact that you are looking at a Ford product that is nearing thirty years of age. That's not a particular slam against Ford so much as an acknowledgement that most products from domestic brands of that era aren't known for high-quality materials or longevity. I'm picturing dried-out and splitting leather, sagging headliner, cloudy headlights, yellow plastic bumpers showing through worn spots in the paint, etc. Granted, this is all a lot less likely on a garage queen than, say, an unloved Aerostar marking its spot at any given 7-11, but still.

Aside from visuals, Ford isn't known for keeping spare parts on the shelf any longer than necessary to get through the warranty period. On a car that is relatively complicated and relatively low-volume, but also doesn't have a dedicated enthusiast community, that might become a consideration.

Alright, that's enough fatherly advice. That would make a fine Gentleman's Express if a guy wanted to hot rod it a little, and it looks like a nice going-to-town rig just the way it sits. I can see how it would make a feller feel pretty good about himself. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/27/23 12:19 p.m.

I did read the headlamp balests are no longer made but I also read that with some slight rewiring past the ballast new LED s bulbs can be fitted

I don't fear engine parts because it later went into the Navigator also

Will
Will UberDork
5/27/23 1:22 p.m.

"Intech" was just the name for the Lincoln version of the DOHC mod motor. These cars have a Teksid aluminum block. The rotating assembly is very similar (but not identical to) 16V mod motors. The heads are "B" heads, which are fine and the same as on the 96-96 Cobra, but that car had better cams/intake.

Mine has just over 200k on it now. The 16V mod motors run forever, so I have hopes for this one, too. 

I've personally never had a problem with sagging headliners on Fords of this era. That seems to be more of a GM problem in my experience. The seat trim and window/lock switch buttons are fragile and tend to break (cosmetically, not mechanically). If they do, assume you'll have to pay through the nose for replacements or find them at the junkyard. The door panels are also frequently broken because people don't know how to remove them correctly. Yes, the headlights yellow, like most domestics of the era. The housings are as unavailable as the ballasts outside ebay/junkyards.

Never heard of a problem with the exhaust manifolds on these. 

But I can't think of any availability issues with mechanical parts outside the headlights. Finding performance shocks is an issue. Konis and Bilsteins used to be available, but now there's nothing better than Monroe, KYB, etc. These are mostly parts-bin cars (though there are some quirks). Between these, the T-Birds and Cougars of the era, there are enough still running that I've never had a problem getting parts to keep them running. And I've owned this and four MN12 T-birds since 2001. 

The wheels on your car (and mine) are called Octastars, and if you replace them, you can probably find a buyer for them. Octastars were optional and some people really like them.

5/27/23 5:08 p.m.

Octastar.  Interesting.

I'm thinking BBS RS if I can find them in the bolt pattern.  Polished lip with charcoal centers, perhaps.

Thanks for the info.

yupididit
5/27/23 5:39 p.m.

Would the bbs wheels from the grand marquis fit? 

Will
Will UberDork
5/27/23 7:27 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Not without a hub swap or adapters. Mark VIIIs are 5x4.25; most other RWD Fords are 5x4.5.

After I lower my car and get it aligned I'll be doing a hub swap as part of my build thread. It's not hard, but it's way more expensive than just getting 5x4.25 wheels.

yupididit
5/27/23 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Will :

So lincoln ls and jaguar wheels will work

5/27/23 9:10 p.m.
yupididit said:

Would the bbs wheels from the grand marquis fit? 

Unlikely.  They would probably be 5x4.5 and I think this is 5x108

5/27/23 9:15 p.m.

Here is a bigger list of what fits.  Some cars in the FoMoCo/Jag lineup, Land Rover, a couple boring Mopars, and a bunch of Volvos

That's at least what fits the bolt pattern.  I haven't dug into hub bores and offsets yet.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/27/23 9:33 p.m.

Oh, you’ve bought it? devil

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/28/23 12:15 a.m.

You can swap hubs from the 1999-2003 Mustang Cobra to get the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. That will open up the wheel options. 

5/28/23 12:59 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Oh, you’ve bought it? devil

Not yet.  This will likely be a slow process.  He's trying to close his dad's estate and there are some hoops.

5/28/23 1:01 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

You can swap hubs from the 1999-2003 Mustang Cobra to get the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. That will open up the wheel options. 

Indeed.  That might be the ticket unless I find some good looking Jag or Rover wheels to use.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
5/28/23 1:16 p.m.

It's V8 and RWD and posh at a reasonable price.  You can't really go wrong.  Buy it, play with it, enjoy it, and if it loses its' luster, move it along.  I don't see you losing a lot money on this adventure, so jump right in!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qode365gNFCtVXcXFwdhMS0V2tA1yhqqWX46wysiDq80XLFcsnAfTfpsCCd07B4B