echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
3/26/16 2:23 p.m.

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/auction/yahoo/input?AuctionId=s484504159&recommend=view&title=TRD+機械式LSD+OH済み+スターレット+ヴィッツ+カローラ

this LSD never made it to the US so its kinda rare, cause it only fits Tercel, Paseo, Echo, and early FWD Starlets. basically FWD toyotas with weak 6 bolt diffs. its a Mechanical(clutch) TRD LSD, my question is it worth paying $144 USD shipped from japan? the description kinda sucks so I dont know how much life it has, it is rebuildable but the kit is just as hard to find as the LSD

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/16 2:29 p.m.

For that price, why the hell not. Even if you let it sit on a shelf for a decade then just re-sell down the road, it will probably be 1 of 1 for sale in the Western world and turn a profit for you.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/26/16 2:30 p.m.

Do you want or need an lsd? If so, order it and the rebuild kit. If they are truly that hard to find, will you be able to get one any cheaper?

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
3/26/16 2:34 p.m.

In the last 3 years of looking, ive only seen 3 for sale. they where around the same price but the others where helicals. I think Im going to buy it unless the bid goes up.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/16 3:17 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: For that price, why the hell not. Even if you let it sit on a shelf for a decade then just re-sell down the road, it will probably be 1 of 1 for sale in the Western world and turn a profit for you.

In a decade will anyone want it?

I have bits to put a high performance clutch and aluminum flywheel in a V6 Tiburon. Exactly nobody plays with those anymore, they all rusted out or electronically failed themselves to the scrapyard. The time for them has passed and now they're dust colelctors.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/26/16 3:19 p.m.

What year tiburon? I always liked them.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/26/16 3:45 p.m.

For that price you should be able... to overnight parts... from Japan

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/16 5:05 p.m.

In reply to iadr:

I bought the parts for a friend's car. Those weren't the issues it was having, there were a lot of problems related to the alarm system randomly going off. And then the timing belt jumped time (probably not coincidentally shortly after the harmonic damper separated). He took it to the dealer to have the belt replaced and it jumped time again within a week. Then he was out shopping for other cars and Ford offered him something crazy like $2500 or $3500 for a non running 10 year old Korean piece of crap so he took it and ran. And I don't blame him one bit.

I notice that Tiburons used to be common as dirt although most were 4cyl, a few GT V6 models were around. Now, they're just... gone.

iATN searches re: Hyundai electrical problems is comedic. They simply had no sense of error tolerance. My absolute favorite is the way they didn't bother to build rationality checks into some circuits for a ground/power loss. Like, say, a TPS's normal range is .5-4.5v on a 5v reference. If voltage ever drops to 0 or goes to 5v, then there is a wiring problem and that sensor will be ignored. Not at Hyundai, at least not in that timeframe. Lose the ground on the TPS while rolling, the trans controller sees WOT (5v) and it will kick you down to the lowest gear possible. The car just about puts you through the windshield when it finds 1st gear at 35mph...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/27/16 6:11 p.m.

That Echo will decimate all.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
3/28/16 10:59 p.m.

I lost the auction by 4000 yen which is about $40 USD lol

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
3/29/16 12:19 a.m.

Rare jdm parts are awesome, it's the closest to a one off as you can get. Think I'll make a thread about this...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TzYibamwtCG5bHxGDbWv0f2H9L1JWdn58mPUwkZDrcKQkUMT1UNVHALeqeRwayRI