oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/7/14 2:28 a.m.

Reading through the owners manual for my new Mirage and there are a dozen or so features that can be configured as desired, but apparently only by the dealership. Things like whether the intermittent wipers are speed adjusting or how long the headlights stay on after the car is shut off. Nothing major, but I would like to change or disable a couple of them.

Do I have a leg to stand on for getting the dealership to adjust these things at least once for free? Seems like I should have had the opportunity to choose when they prepped the car for delivery, but maybe I'm expecting too much?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/14 4:46 a.m.

It wouldn't hurt to ask. When we got the Fiat the salesman took us out and set up the Bluetooth for our phones and showed us how to set everything up. For maybe 15 minutes of his time he made sure we had everything set up how we wanted it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
2/7/14 5:33 a.m.

The mazda dealer I bought from had no clue how to reset the tpms. Hope your dealer at least knows what they're doing.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
2/7/14 5:42 a.m.

Somebody bought a new Mirage?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
2/7/14 5:50 a.m.

Do they have to? No, problably not.

Would it be smart business sense to spend the 30 minutes? Hell yeah.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/7/14 6:09 a.m.

Since the car left the dealership already, they may hit you with a $50 hookup charge. When I bought my CPO E46 that's what they did, but they didn't charge me for any of the 20 minutes or so configuring the settings.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/7/14 6:11 a.m.

Have you filled out the post sale survey yet? If not they'll probably be wanting to ensure your happiness.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/7/14 6:41 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: Have you filled out the post sale survey yet? If not they'll probably be wanting to ensure your happiness.

This. See your salesmonkey, tell him you'd like to change etc and wonder aloud when you'll get a survey.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/14 6:48 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Somebody bought a new Mirage?

No, it's just an illusion.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/7/14 8:00 a.m.

BTDT on a new Caravan once. Customer wanted DRL's on all the time plus something with the locks. Took scantool and within 10 min had the vehicle back to the customer.

PITA? Sure, but what can you do if you have the "power" to make it happen?

Yani
Yani Reader
2/7/14 8:34 a.m.

When I bought my VW the salesman went over every feature on the car. He wasn't as technical as I would have liked, but he wasn't an engineer and 99% of people that buy one probably aren't engineers either. I would have much rather played around with my new toy and Gasp read the owners manual, but there were a number of VCDS/ dealer tool features that required coding (DRL toggle, Lighting preferences, etc.)that they took care of out of the box. It was like sitting there as a little kid, while someone else unwrapped your Christmas presents and started playing with them. It was a nice gesture, but I would have preferred to figure it out myself.

cwaters
cwaters Reader
2/7/14 8:55 a.m.

The answer is yes. That's something they should do on check-out.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
2/7/14 3:11 p.m.

When we got the wife a new Subaru Legacy last year the salesman spent a 1/2 hour going over everything and setting up her Bluetooth, radio presets, etc. When we got her previous car (2000 Buick LeSabre) I ended up setting all that stuff up myself. And I had to do it twice. Once for her key fob and once for mine. But it was nice that if she unlocked the car with her fob everything(seat, radio presets, etc.) was set the way she wanted it and when I had the car my fob would change it all to the way I wanted it.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/7/14 4:52 p.m.

The survey would be leverage if needed, but I hope to heck it wouldn't come to that.

Of course, I find it pretty annoying that there would be any end-user-preference type settings requiring a dealer to set them. That seems destined to result in aggravation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NnwJfY0E6VzRzHIhRoOpyE5SMJU9Gw1uk2N259Cx0tgcinafcajqjFqLb6Y7V8Hu