1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/8/22 11:29 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I know you think she can't handle some of these basic transportation decisions. What you seem to be missing is that she ALREADY HAS.

She's driving your truck. It's in decent shape. Gets her where she needs to go. And it's FREE. 

See that?  She solved all those problems. (Probably not the way YOU would have solved them). 

If the truck is no longer available to her, she will solve the problems again, a different way.  Maybe Uber.  Maybe a scooter.  Maybe ride with a friend.  

I know this is uncomfortable, but she doesn't actually need your help. She is very capable.

Young people solve problems differently than you and I did. I always had a car. My kids don't care.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/22 11:30 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

This is where you teach her the care and feeding of an automobile. So when strange noises come from under the hood, she knows what to do and how to handle it without stress or panic. While she still has you around to teach her these things and answer her questions. 

The other way forces her into the mindset that new cars are the only reliable cars. Where she thinks that the endless cycle of automotive debt is the only way. 

I sent my daughter to school 2 hours from home her freshman year in a 15-year-old (edit: it was more like 21 years old), $1500, Camaro. To go with the car, she got a AAA card. She survived it and learned knowledge that school will never teach her including how to change the clutch in a 1994 Camaro. I am confident that she will never be at the mercy of an automotive repair shop or a car salesman for her entire life. 

20160416_170244.jpg

You do you. I hope it all works out for the best for your granddaughter. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/8/22 11:37 a.m.

This is all useless arguing. The family has no money, and low enough income to qualify for food stamps. No magical, low interest loan, for a new car is showing up. It's a moot point. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Ahh, but we can get the required loan.  Our granddaughter, The 16 year old has been working at our house cleaning it for over 2 years.  We pay her $300 a month what a new Bolt will cost after the the tax credit.  

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/8/22 11:50 a.m.
I think his threads are more about him bragging about his last 70 years of accomplishments and his life. Even if the this concerns another person who isn't Mr Frenchy D. Ask for advice then argues against provided advice by bringing up how he did this and that over 40 years ago that isn't at all relevant to the topic. Y'all keep falling for it lol

Now remember, we're not supposed to "dump on" Frenchy... even though he baits us all the time. I cannot figure out if is baiting on purpose, poor communication abilities, or both. I'm trying to learn not to keep falling for it, but im a slow learner. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 11:55 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I know you think she can't handle some of these basic transportation decisions. What you seem to be missing is that she ALREADY HAS.

She's driving your truck. It's in decent shape. Gets her where she needs to go. And it's FREE. 

See that?  She solved all those problems. (Probably not the way YOU would have solved them). 

If the truck is no longer available to her, she will solve the problems again, a different way.  Maybe Uber.  Maybe a scooter.  Maybe ride with a friend.  

I know this is uncomfortable, but she doesn't actually need your help. She is very capable.

Young people solve problems differently than you and I did. I always had a car. My kids don't care.

Actually it was my idea to use my truck.  
    Next I have another idea to get to Jan 1st.   Then we will make the decision.  
   I'm still considering a used Volt hybrid,  I personally don't like it. But it gives her options a EV doesn't have.  It'll be her choice.     

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/8/22 11:56 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Ahh, but we can get the required loan.  Our granddaughter, The 16 year old has been working at our house cleaning it for over 2 years.  We pay her $300 a month what a new Bolt will cost after the the tax credit.  

You know it's a tax credit, not a lower price right? Show the math. Show me where it's a $300 payment. 2 pages ago you were not getting the loan, you were co signing, now you're getting the loan?

If YOU are getting the loan, the car must be in your name, not hers per bank requirements. Buying a car in your name for someone else is called a "straw deal" and is bank fraud. There's so much here you don't know, it's embarrassing for you. 

Humor me, show me the math. 

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Dork
9/8/22 12:02 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Depending on your extremely generous wages for her car payment is a little scary - what if, God forbid, something happens to you and she can't depend on you for $300 a month? What if she moves away for college and can't clean your house?

Just buy her the car and call it good, everyone will be much happier that way.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/8/22 12:02 p.m.

Why not just gift her the new car?

Everyone wins........

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/8/22 12:03 p.m.
The other way forces her into the mindset that new cars are the only reliable cars. Where she thinks that the endless cycle of automotive debt is the only way. 

But... but... that's what everyone does. It must be right!!!

One of the least dependable cars I've had was my wife's 07 Chevy truck. I know plenty of good ones, but hers was not. We went quite far up the GM corporate chain about it, but thy successfully stone walled us till we sold it for payoff, and bought a used truck for saved up cash. Have never regretted that one.   
The most dependable car I have EVER owned, is the current grand marquis I'm driving. If I had a choice between being given SV reX's Merc, or a brand new bolt, I'd take the Merc. Would likely cost MUCH less to own for next 4 years. 
But that's not what the public opinion teaches us. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/22 12:19 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Obviously you did the math and know what you are talking about.

Please enlighten us, or me at least, on how you came up with $300 and what does that include. Break it down please, including taxes and all, like if you were talking to a 16 year old.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/8/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You are 74 years old. Your granddaughter's sole source of income is your generous payment to her for cleaning. 

You are suggesting she pay 100% of her (undocumented) income for a new car payment. 

What happens if you die?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/8/22 1:29 p.m.
frenchyd said:
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

That's naive. 

She knew you would offer that. So she allowed it. 

If you didn't offer, she would still be getting to school. With or without your truck. 

Know why?  Because she is driven, smart, and capable, and she's gonna be a doctor. I GUARANTEE she would not have dropped out of school if your truck wasn't available. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/8/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

One day, you will die. 

When you do, your wife will finish Timberella's Castle. (Not the way you would have)

Someone will finish your Jaguar. (Not the way you would have)

Your granddaughter will continue her education, and will solve her own transportation issues (Not the way you would have)

And the GRM crowd will still be taking Jag V12s out and replacing them with Chevy engines. 

These decisions will one day be made without you. 

Don't try to control the people around you and make their decisions for them. Instead, offer them the only thing you have to offer. YOU. 

I know you are trying to be a good guy. It's time to let go of the reigns. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 2:43 p.m.
SV reX said:
frenchyd said:
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

That's naive. 

She knew you would offer that. So she allowed it. 

If you didn't offer, she would still be getting to school. With or without your truck. 

Know why?  Because she is driven, smart, and capable, and she's gonna be a doctor. I GUARANTEE she would not have dropped out of school if your truck wasn't available. 

Well I completely agree with your last paragraph.  

However she was hoping to get my wife's Honda which is little used since she works from home.  
     My wife didn't agree so I offered. 
    It's really not about me. It's about helping someone worthy.   

I came on this site hoping to get some good feedback and There have been a couple of good suggestions offered. 
   More protesting the idea of a new car when a cheap used one is so much cheaper.  

I hope I've given a few of those something to consider. But I've always tried to respond politely. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/22 2:44 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Dude, you got tons of good feedback. It just wasn't the feedback you wanted to hear. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 2:54 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

One day, you will die. 

When you do, your wife will finish Timberella's Castle. (Not the way you would have)

Someone will finish your Jaguar. (Not the way you would have)

Your granddaughter will continue her education, and will solve her own transportation issues (Not the way you would have)

And the GRM crowd will still be taking Jag V12s out and replacing them with Chevy engines. 

These decisions will one day be made without you. 

Don't try to control the people around you and make their decisions for them. Instead, offer them the only thing you have to offer. YOU. 

I know you are trying to be a good guy. It's time to let go of the reigns. 

My wife has definitely changed my plans for the house ( In retrospect I believe for the better)  and we continue to move forward together.  

We work together, argue a fair bit but there is real love and kindness between us.  
  As for my wife outliving me?  It will be close.  I'm older but her Diabetes is a major handicap.  We jokingly have agreed that she will precede  me by 30 minutes so she isn't left to finish everything up.   If I do precede her I understand dumpsters will come and everything  in the shop ( and the Billiard room ) will be hauled off.  

I hope to show the latest advancement  soon.  Right now it's just scaffolding and tarps. But progress is moving forward and one of my visions is coming alive.   This is a big part of my whole vision.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 3:03 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Dude, you got tons of good feedback. It just wasn't the feedback you wanted to hear. 

I got a lot of response.   And I'm grateful  for all of it.  Some I differed with and hopefully gave clear reasoning why.  
     I started out thinking as most who responded did. There were real bargains to be had in Used cars and I was smart enough to pick the good ones.  
   In My youth  that's what I did.   When exactly  my thinking changed  was caused by a beautiful Boat tailed Buick Rivera.  
    A Chevy Vega proved new was better. ?!?!   

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 3:09 p.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

You are 74 years old. Your granddaughter's sole source of income is your generous payment to her for cleaning. 

You are suggesting she pay 100% of her (undocumented) income for a new car payment. 

What happens if you die?

Well I'm not immortal.  Nor do I know for sure I'll live another 6 years. 
  But as had been said,  she's really smart.  
         She will figure it out.  
      But what we pay her is about the market rate for house cleaning.   Her work is absolutely top notch and she is extremely diligent ( and sweating ) from the hard work she puts in. 5500 sq ft 3 floors is a lot to clean.  
   With my wife's handicaps from Diabetes  she can no longer do that work.   So it's a fair bargain.  Hard work for fair pay. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/22 3:56 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

So, what if 7 months from now she decides she doesnt want to clean the house for $300 a month anymore. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/22 4:11 p.m.

Another thing to consider is a point that Steve made earlier. If she is 16 it will be hard for her to get a loan with you co-signing. The loan needs to be yours, if it's yours then the car is in your name. If you were to pass while there was still a loan on the car it would go to your estate to settle, not to her even if she paid every payment. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I guess we'll cross that bridge if we ever get to it.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/8/22 4:49 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

a Chevy Vega was never a better idea.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/8/22 4:49 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

According to the terms of our will my wife would have tittle,  I'm sure she'd make it right.  
    If we both get killed by a random meteorite my Daughter and her son  ( her father). would make it right. 
 If I win a big lottery. I'll buy her a Rolls Royce or whatever she wants.  
  Hey! I get to inject a little levity in such a gloomy subject.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/8/22 4:52 p.m.

If she has been making $300/month for 2 years, she should have a nice nest egg saved.  

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
NelPqrTGWv6wMqOKglhdbgTQAzmDwNRhXNRQBIAuEAx28lGOTcwXjST7A8Rfi7ob