1 2 3 4
unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/8/14 6:12 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: How do you people get anything done in all that clutter. My OCD would go nuts.

For me, at least, sometimes there's not an option. I've got so much going on these days, I've just got to roll with it and try to get whatever done I can.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/14 7:32 a.m.

I took this pic right from the center of my "garage:"

So you can see why I pay shops to do a lot of work. It's a lot less pleasant before sunset.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/8/14 7:35 a.m.

In reply to HappyJack:

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/8/14 7:59 a.m.

My Flickr just has a "share" button but it lists FB and such then "Link" "HTML" and "BBcode". None of them seem to work, at least not in my previews. Using four different URLs above in the hopes one of them shows up when I post. Here is my link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdveray/14983806507/in/set-72157647327592111

Hope it works.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/8/14 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

If you use the BBcode, it will have the http ... .jpg hidden in the jumble of code. Paste the whole mess into the comment section and copy that URL, delete the rest of the garbage, and paste the URL into picture button popup window as per usual.

I was using IE on Win8.1 and couldn't find the share button in the corner until I switched over to Firefox and then it was there. WTF. Its there on IE for Win7.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/8/14 8:22 a.m.

Junkyard Dog:

Here you go

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
9/8/14 8:25 a.m.

From this weekend. My brother tinkering with his Votus, and me doing a brake line upgrade on the 308. The Guzzi usually lives between the M3 and the 308, but it has to be rolled out to make room for wrenching. It's tight, but it works.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/14 8:41 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: How do you people get anything done in all that clutter. My OCD would go nuts. This is the worst photo I could find so I could fit in.

I was OCD with my cars and car spaces before we had children. Then I gave up. Our garage is a now a dumping ground for whenever we "clean out" the cars. We have folding chairs, beach chairs, old schoolwork, baseball gear, golf gear, wagons, scooters, bicycles, and a mini basketball hoop that somehow made it up from the playroom. With three children under eight, I have to choose my battles

I could really use a shed to free up some garage space, but that's likely at least a few years off.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/8/14 8:47 a.m.

2nd pic is old because the workbench is in there now.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
9/8/14 8:52 a.m.

Just for wearymicrobe, to show what a real mess looks like:

It got cleaner after that

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/8/14 8:56 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Just for wearymicrobe, to show what a real mess looks like: It got cleaner after that

"In chaos there is always some order for the man who caused it" Would drive me nuts, but as previously established I am nuts.

solfly
solfly Reader
9/8/14 1:23 p.m.

this is the only pic i can find, from when we moved in 22x20 uninsulated

gets the job done for now

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/8/14 1:25 p.m.

TVRs and a Solstice. Cool. Me too, although not at the same time.

solfly
solfly Reader
9/8/14 1:25 p.m.

here's another

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/14 1:42 p.m.

Mine is three bays, but this is where the party starts.

photo MaxJax004_zps14637b10.jpg

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/8/14 1:45 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: How do you people get anything done in all that clutter. My OCD would go nuts. This is the worst photo I could find so I could fit in. Other side.

i would go nuts if i had a washer, dryer, and water heater taking up valuable space in my garage.. and i tried organizing and labeling my toolbox drawers like that once, but that only lasted a couple of weeks before i just defaulted to putting everything where it was before so i knew where the hell it was without thinking.. other people have a hard time finding stuff in my toolbox, but i know where it is... unless it's on the floor or workbench where i left it when i decided to stop working on something at 4 am or whatever, then i might forget where it is..

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
9/8/14 1:51 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: How do you people get anything done in all that clutter. My OCD would go nuts. This is the worst photo I could find so I could fit in.

My garage is just as cluttered as a bunch of the ones shown, but I'm not happy about it. I think its also a matter of cost of storage vs worth of parts. If, like me, someone is constantly doing something in there, there is value in having a bunch of crap that you can salvage pieces from for various projects. Keeps me from having to run out to the hardware/parts store.

I suspect it would cost you a lot more to have the spare square footage to store a bunch of junk than many of the rest of us, so it makes a lot of sense for you to keep a cleared garage, versus paying a significant sum to gain some more space. In essence, for a bunch of us, the garage becomes the first "hardware/parts store" we visit when looking for something for our projects.

...and part of it is my latent hoarding tendencies, which I try to fight, but it keeps paying off to have all the stuff laying around.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
9/8/14 1:55 p.m.

Freshly graveled workspace. I have a 10x10 room in the basement as a shop and a rusted out Arrow metal shed in the back.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/8/14 2:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: Mine is three bays, but this is where the party starts.  photo MaxJax004_zps14637b10.jpg

How do you like the lift Woody? I read about you choosing it and what not, and right now it's at the top of this list for the grosh.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/14 2:51 p.m.

Old one:

More recent one:

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/8/14 7:44 p.m.

The attached garage. 2 bays of mostly storage. A large portion of it should go to the dump. We are working on that. The back of my truck is full of boxes of books that are going to charity tomorrow. The Abomination will be moving up here in a few weeks to make some more space in the shop.

The shop in the back yard is where the fun happens. 26' X 26', with an amazing array of tools, parts, projects and stuff to build things. (assuming I can find it) It's usually in a major state of disarray, but is slowly coming under control, as things get organized. I've hauled 3 loads to the scrap yard and several more to the dump in the last couple of months. It's taking a while, I keep getting distracted by the fun stuff.

I don't have any good overall pictures, but you get the idea.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/14 7:53 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Woody wrote: Mine is three bays, but this is where the party starts.  photo MaxJax004_zps14637b10.jpg
How do you like the lift Woody? I read about you choosing it and what not, and right now it's at the top of this list for the grosh.

The short answer is that it works well for my needs. One of these days, I'll get around to doing a full write up on it. I investigated a dozen different options and came close to buying at least three other types, but in the end, the MaxJax was the best available solution for me and I'm glad that I chose it.

cemike2
cemike2 New Reader
9/9/14 9:37 a.m.

Just getting moved into a new shop.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
9/9/14 10:42 a.m.

I'm jealous of most of you. No garage, but at least I have a big shed to put my tools/parts. Shed does have an overhang, that I can nose a car under for under hood work.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
9/9/14 10:48 a.m.

Ive got some serious envy going on now. My garage is barely big enough for my 280zx. Luckily my grandparents only live about 10 min away so thats where all of my wrenching gets done. Its also where my 240 lives

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V05NdfIWzU1jqszNWd21V6RDbdmilXsvsB47X7JLKN3oZNvAHJFMFA3CceIkC7Rk