Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/1/18 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I wish I had time to get all my own projects done!  cheeky

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/1/18 10:09 a.m.

120mm M-256 Serial No. 9; a NATO weapon we stole from the Germans.  Because it was prototyped, we each got one gun to walk through, start to finish.  Had to make all our own tooling.  It was exciting, scary, fun, rewarding.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/18 12:55 p.m.

Does a semi plug and play stand alone engine management system for a Porsche count?  Currently off the car as I am looking for a new chassis. At over 350k my current Porsche is a bit floppy and needs either a new motor or a complete motor rebuild. You know it is getting bad when you start looking at motors as ware items. LOL. 

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
12/1/18 1:12 p.m.

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
12/1/18 1:13 p.m.

Made this out of one sheet of plywood as a Christmas present for my youngest daughter a couple of years ago

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/1/18 1:43 p.m.

In reply to SaulGoode :

Cool!! Did you do it from plans or from your own head? Looks great either way. 

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
12/1/18 1:58 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I did it from plans.  I bought them from England.   If anyone wants to borrow the plans and templates that I made, just let me know.  It is hollow inside, so you could put a time capsule in it for your kids if you wanted to.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/1/18 5:10 p.m.

I am pretty proud of this Nash-Healey chassis I made, been like a year and I haven't heard back from the customer. I hope all went well.

Joe giving a walkthrough

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
12/1/18 6:07 p.m.

Wow!  So many cool builds!

I created this for a gift for my kids.  I took it to a craft show and sold 970 of them in 4 days.  That was 1993.  I turned the banks into my business. 

I've been working for 2 years on my car build.  I created the plug.  I had a fiberglass company make molds. Today I picked up 2 bodies and my plug on my rolling frame.  Now I can start to build it.  Having fun.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/1/18 6:35 p.m.

I don't have pictures of my mistakes and bad decisions handy.

freetors
freetors Reader
12/1/18 6:44 p.m.
jmc14 said:

That is an impressively beautiful body!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/18 6:56 p.m.

I built this today. Fuel cell mount for a new Lemons car. Yes I know the battery location sucks. It will be moving. 

I built this with the help of a lot of family. 

I built this a lot of years ago. 10kw diesel generator. 

I also built this. 

I have built a pile of stuff over the years. Building stuff is my my primary hobby. Cars are a distance second. Mostly I build stuff and buy tools. 

weedburner
weedburner Reader
12/1/18 6:59 p.m.

Built this sbc to Ford Toploader bellhousing from scratch...

Also built this dirt late model car from scratch, needed something to put my homemade 4 rotor rotary engine into...

Link to the 4 rotor dirt latemodel build... http://grannys.tripod.com/4rotor.html

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
12/1/18 7:01 p.m.

I'm amazed by the talent here

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/18 7:32 p.m.

It is significantly simpler than everything else posted here, but I’m proud of this little piece just the same.  It’s a mounting bracket for the remote brake fluid reservoir on my buddy’s Cobra replica:

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/18 8:20 p.m.

Toyman's JETBOAT! I love that build! (not to detract from any other builds.)

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/18 11:06 p.m.

I made these sub enclosures a few years ago from 12" Sch 40 PVC pipe.  I cut a 3/4 piece of MDF to slip fit inside, then another 3/4" piece laminated with epoxy to the outside.  I cut a wee groove in the edge of the MDF and a wee groove in the inside of the PVC, then mixed up some epoxy with microfiber powder and glued it in the ends.  That is 1-1/2" of MDF baffles in Sch 40 PVC which has 1/4" thick walls.  Heavy, but they sound AMAZING.

No automatic alt text available.

I also made these:

Image may contain: makeup

Which went inside these:

I also built this 468 BBC

Image may contain: 2 people, including Curtis Mittong, people smiling, people standing, people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: motorcycle

Which went inside this

Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

I helped to build this

Image may contain: car and outdoor

And don't get me started about the sets I've built.  Here are a few.

Take note that the following set below was constructed on a raked stage with an 11.4 degree angle.  All of those bloody cuts.  Yikes.

Image may contain: outdoor

Or how about a 28' turntable with 91 casters that I had exactly 3 days to build

Image may contain: one or more people and night

Image may contain: indoor

Or this set that occupied every single flown pipe in the theater, including some that we added.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and concert

Image may contain: 1 person

Or this Brooklyn Brownstone with translucent muslin walls that reveal paintings on them when you light them from behind.... along with a real Ash tree scavenged from the property and had 1400 individual maple leaves glued on the branches.

Image may contain: people sitting, table and indoor

I made this Cajon from scrap ply and luan at the shop.  Tuned to 85hz or so.  Not bad for free

I made this from some very vintage wormy chestnut lumber

And a great deal of effort went into making a portable, rolling tech  booth for the theater.  We call him "John Wilkes".  The whole thing rolls on 9 casters and houses all of the sound and light accessories underneath.

I made this fire

And a few million other things of which I'm proud, but I won't hog the thread laugh

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/18 8:33 a.m.

In reply to HotNotch :

My favorite generation of the Toyota 4x4. Nice work.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/18 9:05 a.m.
weedburner said:

Built this sbc to Ford Toploader bellhousing from scratch...

Knurled:  "Hey, years back I saw a good how-I-did-it webpage over an Granny's Speed Shop about making a one-off bellhousing"

Also built this dirt late model car from scratch, needed something to put my homemade 4 rotor rotary engine into...

Link to the 4 rotor dirt latemodel build... http://grannys.tripod.com/4rotor.html

...Oh, okay, so it WAS you.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/2/18 11:12 a.m.

Beer.. I can make Beer

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
12/2/18 11:58 a.m.

I've made a lot of stuff and invented new products. Some quick & simple, some very time consuming like cars, homes, etc.  So to keep the thread from becoming a display of only our most intricate, complicated things that might keep people from displaying some basic things I offer this simple prototype made with hand tools and a drill press. There's a lot of amazing work being done by GRM folks!

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170518_144754_zps6awer6gd.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170518_182035_zps6hkmddrv.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170518_193818_zpsnhnrnvkf.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170519_140822_zpsvhzrkxeo.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170519_182451_zpsqeber3i7.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170519_190952_zpsdphhmtt2.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Bottom%20Feeder/20170519_190606_zpsqc1sccc8.jpg.html][/URL]

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/18 1:55 p.m.

Okay, here's simple but fun. Made these today. First two are mine.

My daughter's version

Alien, by my daughter (takes after me).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/2/18 2:23 p.m.

I made this shop art:

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/18 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Curtis, I neglected to mention you in the thread about GRM members that your spouse, etc. knows. I hope to meet you in person sometime. The sets are amazing!

My wife has a theater production degree. I shared your photos (the last few didn't download).

Here's some costumes, made by Mrs Floating doc.

My daughter made this. She'll be sure to tell you that it's a fruit bat.

shark and octopus on the left

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/2/18 5:22 p.m.

The most recent major piece I made, a new monocoque for a Chevron Formula Atlantic. Most of the tubular parts are original, all of the aluminum is new material. Customer has not yet completed the car, years on .....

1 2 3 4 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YhiQRRXl076tRS8PSWlzy2sMdds8fIKGyfoSdowSHyb49QUkVZinHA3waSo25OgK