1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 46
GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
1/8/22 12:34 a.m.
jerrysarcastic (dork in training) said:

Never did I ever think I'd say "that fan shroud looks like jewelry" but here we are...

Really nice work there!

Thanks. This is the car it resides in. Built to be driven.  I can put more up on it, if there is interest. It's a heavily modified body, heavily modified AME frame, etc. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/8/22 9:51 a.m.

That needs to be made into a Hot Wheels model!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
1/8/22 11:17 p.m.

This is sort of a re-post, for Rons who asked about it in the wagon thread. Chevron B42 chassis I constructed for a customer. 

bigben
bigben Reader
1/15/22 10:16 p.m.

I built a butcher block style workbench top out of two stair treads breadboared together and attached it to a half stack of metal shelves from Costco.

B. Yourself
B. Yourself Reader
1/31/22 1:40 p.m.

I wanted to build some shelves, drawers, and workbenches for my garage workshop, but I have very little woodworking experience.  So in order to practice for building the workshop furniture, I built this desk/bookcase built-in for our spare bedroom.  It was fun and I learned a lot about what not to do, and overall it turned out nice.

However, it took waaay more time, energy, and skill than I thought it would. So I am rethinking how to tackle the workshop. Might just buy some benches, shelves, etc. We will see.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/31/22 1:51 p.m.

That looks great!

Bonus points for using the house as practice for a garage project... wink

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/22 4:14 p.m.

Made a bathroom out of the small room attached to our bedroom. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
1/31/22 10:37 p.m.
GaryC83 said:
jerrysarcastic (dork in training) said:

Never did I ever think I'd say "that fan shroud looks like jewelry" but here we are...

Really nice work there!

Thanks. This is the car it resides in. Built to be driven.  I can put more up on it, if there is interest. It's a heavily modified body, heavily modified AME frame, etc. 

Uhhhhh can we have a thread? Gorgeous. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
1/31/22 11:44 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Eventually I'll try to make one. 

Here's another piece of the puzzle to that car. The upper shock mounts. 

Turned some slightly oversize bushings to setup the spacing for the towers and allow for film build for powdercoat, while still being a tight fight to the upper eyelet mounts on the coilover's shock body

Then sides were fabricated and counterbored for the hardware to sit in. 

Then a quick fixture setup w knocked up to locate it all. Just a piece of scrap rectangular tube.

then i fabricated the filler pieces for the front and back. Welded then in and blended them out.

Tacked together. Checked fit. Final welded this portion. Metal finished out.  Also, there are welds on the inside of the mount as well. 

Then Troy and I talked and we decided to add secondary panels so it had more depth and visual appeal to it. Required taking some out of the previously machined upper control arm mounts. No biggie. 

Which brought it to here. Just tacked together to continue on with the process of figuring everything else out before getting it all squared away for final welding

Edit: sorry pictures are kind of somewhat out-of order and I'm on my phone, so reformatting them in the right order really isn't happening. So in just going to leave it as it is.

Digging the details (something you never get from the glossy magazine spreads) so yes plz start a tread for these! :)

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/1/22 1:45 a.m.

Great build projects everyone. I don't actually build anything anymore, I just try to fix broken junk now days which is getting overwhelming. I did however build this daddy's little helper for my grandson so that when he pooped out Mom could help him get home and when he was learning to ride without training wheels dad could run along next to him and help steady the bike.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
2/3/22 1:21 a.m.

i fly fish.. needed a rack for all ( 14 ) of my fly rods      its made of mohogany.. i was very surprise on how much the wood cost..  $88.34   

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/8/22 7:55 p.m.

I just made this poster tonight for the next gallery showing of my art work. All GRM folks in the area please attend!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
2/11/22 8:56 p.m.

I needed a coaster

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
2/13/22 2:14 a.m.

Making a set of .080" alumnium door sill plates for a friends '29 model a.  Ex use the rough nature. They still have a long ways to go. This is early in the process.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/22 9:37 a.m.

Work-in-progress cutting boards.  All but the top left are end-grain.  All made with padauk, walnut, hard maple, and cherry.  Actually I think the top left might be beech instead of maple.  Got into this before the holidays last year and man is it a lot of fun.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/22 1:23 p.m.

The previous owner of our son's house needed an outbuilding for his stuff.  The city fathers said you already have an out building, so you bagged your limit, so he decided to build a doll house for his 4 & 6 year old daughters.  That's OK.  If you look in the window you will see a chalk board and a plastic table and chairs, but in real life the left wall drops down so Dad can drive his 22h lawn mower inside.

Cool.

We build a maple shed on the back of the doll house.  I build a maple evaporator out of a 50 gallon drum, sits on a frame made from old bed frames.  Grill at the bottom is rebar and it is lined with fire brick.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/22 1:25 p.m.

I donated a few 40 pound bags of coal which he throws in with the wood, keeps it running overnight.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/22 1:40 p.m.

Attic stairs suck!  Spring is really strong to lift the weight, but the arms just fold after a while.  New arms are $85 then you have to buy springs. (wear a mouth guard).

For $99 I bought a 500lb. winch that runs on 110.  Up in the attic is an outlet for the 4ft. light so I plugged it in there and disassembled the controller, dropped the 1/2" wire down to a linen closet and reassembled the controller inside.  There is a light switch on the hallway ceiling, off there's no power to the outlet.   Push the down button, it drops, unclip the hook, raise it up, do your thing.  Drop it back down to fold up.

Why don't all homes have this?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/22 1:47 p.m.

Sugar shacks smell so good.

Nothing like some of the stuff on display here, but I did come up with a cat lie detector. My wife and I share cat feeding duties on a very ad-hoc basis - whomever happens to be closest at roughly the right time puts some food out. But if you live with cats, you know they cannot be trusted.

So I put this together one evening last week. When you press the "feed" button, it wakes up, checks the time, puts the timestamp on the eink display and goes back into hibernation. It sticks to the fridge with magnets and should have a battery life of weeks. I could have it do more things, but sometimes you just need something simple.

Now we can tell if the cats are lying about their food status.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Can you make say Dog?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/22 1:58 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Simple. I can give you the shopping list to put one of these together, it's pretty straightforward to replicate. You'd just have to add your own wifi credentials and change to Dog in a text editor. Drop me an email at keith@flyinmiata.com if you want it all.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/22 3:20 p.m.

no, this is not nearly as impressive as most things in this thread, but this is what I made this weekend. 

As part of a renovation project that is getting out of hand, I decided to gut the bathroom. This is the vent stack from the toilet, which had an open crack in it. That's bad right? So I had to cut it out, which was hard because of the location. I couldn't get my grinder to the back side, so had to order abrasive Sawzall blades. Then bring the edges level, cut the PVC to the exact size, insert Ferncos, and viola. I should've been able to hang drywall immediately after ripping the old stuff out, but this little task pushed it back a week. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/14/22 3:45 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Well done! I've been there and I know how hard it is to get that done. Congratulations and on to the next part!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/22 4:47 p.m.

Thanks. This is the car it resides in. Built to be driven.  I can put more up on it, if there is interest.

oh, there is definitely interest.

1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZS4mLbXiPVWH83VHuBfXAvca6KpRNL40IB8qBvqSvkeeKPhgHbAo8kA2ndSOh7zf