1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 46
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/17/23 1:44 p.m.

I put magical smoke (hopefully) in this...

zordak
zordak Reader
3/1/23 10:21 a.m.

Cut the one on the left ​​​​​​almost 5 years ago. Made the one on the right the other night on a 3d resin printer.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/1/23 11:30 a.m.

I made more zines and uploaded two to the printer last night. 

David S. Wallens
3/8/23 7:25 p.m.

And we have zines. One arrived today, the other is en route. 

David S. Wallens
3/10/23 4:47 p.m.

Does a photo count? From last night in downtown Orlando.

That’s Hathim on the left and Lindsey on the right. Total pros. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/17/23 9:30 p.m.

Wall Mount for the junkyard 240z wheel I picked 10 years ago! Goes in my nice little 48sqft home office. I had everything laying around the garage so it was #free

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/23 10:27 a.m.

I'm gonna go ahead and put this thread in as my vote for best on the forum. Hands down.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/23 10:33 a.m.

Recently I made a new shift boot for my boxster with leftover scraps from a curtain project. The pattern is a bit out there but I figure the boxster is grey so what the heck. 

spandak
spandak Dork
3/18/23 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm into it 

I treated myself to a Function First shift knob with a delrin ball. Big fan. That would set it off IMO

and someone on here can make a beachwood shift knob that threads onto the FF shaft I'm interested. 

freetors
freetors Reader
3/18/23 11:45 p.m.

Man I think this is the only thread I've ever made that has made it more than a handful of pages!

Here's a project I've been working on: making extended length dropouts for my rigid mountain bike. The stock ones aren't really well designed for maximizing tire clearance and in fact about half the adjustment range is totally wasted because the tire would contact the seat tube. So I resigned it with the axle moved back 15mm. They're currently still in 3d printed prototype stage but I am planning on eventually machining some in the near future. With these I should be able to easily fit a 29x3.0 tire and probably still have room for a full fender for wet rides.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
4/2/23 4:01 p.m.

I lined this hinged box with copper sheet that I've had laying around for years. We've had a lot of auto theft in the last year or so, and a lot of the recent thefts are being done by using relays to get access into the car. I tested this proof of concept and it seems to work quite well. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
4/20/23 10:48 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

Does the copper prevent the signals from escaping the box??

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/23 12:52 a.m.

I turned these turn signal extensions for my brother's 356. I've had this stuff sitting in my garage for about a year trying to figure out how to get the angle cut cleanly and still be able to turn a step for the bezel to sit on.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
4/21/23 7:59 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Yes, I believe it is blocking the signal. My wife's car uses a fob. So my test was placing the fob in the box and then trying to unlock the car using the driver door exterior button. Nothing happened.  So I then took the fob out of the box and unlocked the door, got in the driver seat and placed the fob back in the box. I then tried to start the car (push button) and again, nothing / no start.  So I think it's working well to block the signal. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
4/23/23 5:20 p.m.

I bought a Bluetooth speaker kit a while back from Parts Express for a winter project but never got beyond assembling the amplifier.  My wife and I took the fun car for a ride on Friday for lunch and found this cool vintage soda box at an antique shop.

A few hours in the shop on between Saturday and a rainy Sunday afternoon and we have this:

It sounds really good too!

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
4/26/23 10:16 p.m.

USS Edelbrock

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/15/23 11:57 a.m.

Made a garden fringle for our daughter in law's Mothers Day.  Made up old silverware and ball bearings.  I tried to make a half circle with a weight on one end, from the center of the upright to hang underneath so the Bug rocks in the breeze.  2 lbs of wire and scrap metal later, I just welded the thing down! 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
6/3/23 11:17 a.m.

Made another shroud and radiator cover from aluminium. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
6/4/23 2:16 p.m.

Knocking the cobwebs off my tubing welding skills, doing a stainless exhaust on a 392 hemi powered 32 plymouth coupe for a friend of mine.  Doing out some VBand clamps for the thing. So it can go in and out easy. 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/4/23 2:59 p.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

Very nice welding, and the shroud looks amazing!  Did you hammer form the main shroud area?  I aspire to work like this.  Nowhere close to doing it currently but I'm welding stuff together.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
6/4/23 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

Thanks much. That was all done on a pullmax and metal finished out. You could easily use a hammer form, or make some dies and press it, or fab some one off steep dies for a bead roller and go that route. There's a million ways of getting the same result. I crank these things out so I'm familiar with pre-stretch and going at it with some guide fences and the pullmax, and being able to bring it back to straight.  

Unlike a lot of the other fab guys out there... I'll tell you to do it whichever way you're comfortable with and works for you. Talk to 10 guys, you'll get 15 different answers. Hammer forms work. They're more work, but if you don't have the tools at your disposal, by all means. Nothing wrong with going at it that way. 

Kendall Frederick
6/4/23 3:18 p.m.

I figured since I'm commenting, I'd put this up from a couple of days ago.  I have been watching YT channels like Make It Kustom and others who are making complex brackets and frame shapes from CNC cut flat steel, so this is my first try at that.  I drew up this bracket for my intercooler pump with an .050" slit where it needed to bend 90 degrees, had a buddy cut it, and bent and welded it. 

Yes, I could've just bent it without the slit, especially with heat, but I would like to do more complex shapes where this would be helpful without a press brake.  I figured out that I need to tighten the bend up so that the slit closes in; I welded this one with the gap shown in the first pic and it would've been much prettier without having to fill the gap.  I'll try it again soon with a more complex shape (probably one with tabs and slots to interlock).

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/6/23 10:15 p.m.

Farting around. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
6/7/23 6:49 a.m.

We did epoxy infill for one of those Lichtenberg burns a few years back. Neat effect. In that case though, a little over done in the guy's kitchen.

Kendall Frederick
6/7/23 5:26 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

That is really neat!  I have no idea how all of the intricate lines are done -- freehand?  Some way of templating them?  Looks like many hours of work.

1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dkEToXTax3ToWn8mvKQiflY8yzxviRnj8xhMq41TcEDMdLDRAASO9bnIui1eniQm