1 2 3 4
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/22 10:37 a.m.

Sick Week is this week and it embodies probably my 3rd favorite no money barred racing. #1 being endurance and #2 being rally.

I think it's 800 miles and 4 drag strips.

I am not a fan of big tire, wheelie bar cars but this little nugget caught my eye on one of the youtubes as I am a fan of Opels.

Well...that is one hell of a Manta build...damn.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/8/22 10:54 a.m.

Finnegan's Garage had a first day update about 2 hours ago. Looks like fun.

preach (dudeist priest)
2/8/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That's where I got the screen shot.

Man I'd love to run one of these events in a car I built. I am very OK with bracket racing.

My partial dream for my Opel is to do this in the 10.00s class with my wife (who is into it) as my copilot.

I'd prefer Rocky Mountain Race Week for the scenery but I am not sure about ballasting to 3000# per the rules. I am not sure the car will be there when it's done.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/22 11:40 a.m.

I love following these Drag and Drive events.  They are quickly becoming a subculture to drag racing just like No Prep has in the last couple years.  These events also serve as a good reminder that I need to just work on my projects more if I ever want to do one of these events.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/8/22 12:00 p.m.

Sucks that Tom Bailey had to bow out today. Apparently they had severe mechanical troubles that they couldn't overcome. Dave Schroeder, with the nitrous C7 Pro Mod that won Drag Week last year, also melted a few pistons and had to call it quits.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/22 12:25 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That's a bummer. There is a lot of fast cars in this event. Steve Morris' Caprice is a bad, bad unit

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/8/22 12:31 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

That is Caprice wagon is an amazing car. Also, Jamie from PFISpeed split a Honda B-series black in spectacular fashion.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
2/8/22 1:34 p.m.

I'll be at Bradenton on Friday for the last day of racing. Hope there's still some enthusiasm left by then. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/22 1:42 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to RacetruckRon :

That is Caprice wagon is an amazing car. Also, Jamie from PFISpeed split a Honda B-series black in spectacular fashion.

unknown.png (868×973)

what 80-100psi of boost will do to a stock block.  they had an issue with the e-wastegate and it gave it all the boost.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/8/22 3:50 p.m.

I was there Sunday. I haven't been to an event with the much buzz in years.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/8/22 3:51 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

They say pegged a 7 bar map sensor.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/22 3:57 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

I saw that one crusing around in Bradenton on my way to work Monday.  Is it driven by one of the Roadkill dudes?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/8/22 4:04 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:
Ranger50 said:

I saw that one crusing around in Bradenton on my way to work Monday.  Is it driven by one of the Roadkill dudes?

It might be David Newburn's.  He's Roadkill-adjacent.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
2/8/22 4:49 p.m.

Yeah that is Newburns-he bought it out of Tx a year or so ago. Have some video of it on Finnegan's Garage.

1320 video Top Cars of Sick week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opusBNpkcyA

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/8/22 6:04 p.m.

Freiburger and Finnegan are there in a red 3rd-gen Firebird with a mystery small block, a T-56 and the weirdo 9-bolt rear end.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/8/22 6:10 p.m.

I like the rule where of you have a reaction time of over 1 second, you can't turn in that time slip. Some of the turbo guys were a little ridiculous with their 20 seconds of spooling the turbos at other events. I've been expecting to see a car with a laptop mounted to the decklid so their tuner can be tweaking things while it's staged 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/22 6:34 p.m.

So much carnage day 1! So many cars out already. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/8/22 6:49 p.m.

This one was kind of impressive too. This was the Dodge Ram with the nitrous motor. Melted a piston on a pass, he tried to restart it on the return road and the crankcase was full of nitrous. Blew the valve covers apart, bulged the oil pan out.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/22 7:02 p.m.
NickD said:

I like the rule where of you have a reaction time of over 1 second, you can't turn in that time slip. Some of the turbo guys were a little ridiculous with their 20 seconds of spooling the turbos at other events. I've been expecting to see a car with a laptop mounted to the decklid so their tuner can be tweaking things while it's staged 

its now 2 seconds apparently

preach (dudeist priest)
2/8/22 7:37 p.m.

Rained out today.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/8/22 7:52 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/8/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

But it is allowing some to fix their junk and still be in...

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/22 10:27 p.m.

If Bailey is out(official results not updated yet), these guys are leading. That's a big mess

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/9/22 6:23 a.m.

That red/white/blue 3rd-gen Camaro with the twin turbo LS that's running in Unlimited is a gorgeous car.

Also, really impressive is that the guy who is leading the stick shift class, a 9.065 with a '65 GTO, is from Canada and doesn't have a truck and trailer. So he drove 3000 miles south from Canada, is running the event, and then is driving 3000 miles back home.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
2/9/22 11:36 a.m.
NickD said:

That red/white/blue 3rd-gen Camaro with the twin turbo LS that's running in Unlimited is a gorgeous car.

Also, really impressive is that the guy who is leading the stick shift class, a 9.065 with a '65 GTO, is from Canada and doesn't have a truck and trailer. So he drove 3000 miles south from Canada, is running the event, and then is driving 3000 miles back home.

That is epic!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XCG4woflArDglYlyHr2Y8HYx2FToynyfI6KtU0btodBNlC4jZTthz6A0SmBNk6Nh