1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/23 5:27 p.m.

Some Vintage Racing at Bridgehampton from a couple of seasons ago.   That was a lot of fun!!  I was in the orange Corvette.

dean1484
2/23/23 11:41 a.m.

Racing last night was really good. There was a great battle at the front that should make for some really good replays.  The Handycap system is doing its job and pulling the field together. Although Sauce continues to have good finishes even with a significant weight penalty.   

Thanks to everyone that showed up!!!  The more people the join in the better the racing is. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/23 11:58 a.m.

I've realized that low-speed corners are the Lexus' weak spot and it's gonna hurt next week...after tuning it far more than I've ever done before, I only managed to squeeze a high 1:32s lap out of it on Red Bull Ring. Good thing I took full advantage of the conveniently perfect gear ratios on Daytona laugh

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/23/23 12:08 p.m.

Good racing last night!

The 2019 911 is fast, but it will definitely bite you if you get complacent, even for a second!

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
2/23/23 1:08 p.m.

I need to get in on this at some point, any pointers for someone whose fastest car they've driven in AC has been the ND cup car? GT3 cars seems a bit intimidating.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/23/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

Just jump in and do it.   Seat time is your friend.

I'm a whole 3 weeks into AC and the only cars I've driven are the GT3 cars in the GRM races...  I'm actually looking forward to driving something a little slower.  cheeky

The Classic GT stuff Dean posted above is what really interests me. 

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
2/23/23 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I would love to run some old stuff. Enjoyed wrangling the RS550 around a bit, but need to get an H pattern shifter as paddle shifting it just felt wrong (and took a long time to get the auto clutch and blip set up right for it).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/23/23 1:59 p.m.

The GT3 cars, compared to the older cars, mostly need to be driven to avoid any sliding.  The older cars are far more tolerant to that (if nothing else, no aero).  We will likely go with some slower or more vintage cars for the next series (GT is the fastest we have run). LOTS and LOTS of possibilities out there, feel free to suggest, it's probably out there!

There are some great collection available of classic cars, including NASCAR, TransAm, Classic Touring and GT.  One thing we have not done, that might be fun (and wildly different handling to a GT3 car) is classic F1 (there are a number of classic tracks available if we want to run those).  The cars below are referred to GPL.  I am guessing that is (1967) F1?  F1 cars should have wings by 67 though right?  Or was that that last non-wing year?

If we want to do a sort of classic GT3, there is set of a DRM cars (which should be balanced?):

If you want to check out just one sites collection of classic series, look here:  (look under the Cars and Tracks Menu, Cars)

https://thracing.de/

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/23/23 2:28 p.m.

Pretty much any pre-'75 touring cars, big or small bore would be cool... maybe small bore if you guys already did the big stuff.  Not sure how to balance performance, though...

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/23 2:53 p.m.

GPL probably refers to the sim Gran Prix Legends. I actually have a copy in a drawer somewhere. 

https://oldgamesdownload.com/grand-prix-legends/

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/23/23 4:22 p.m.
BradLTL said:

You can pick up a PC that will work for $600ish, connect it to your TV as a monitor, attach your wheel to a card table... and there you go, from zero to sim-racing for less than $1000.

So... What you're telling me, is to stop overthinking things and just keep an eye out for a cheap G27?

BradLTL
2/23/23 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Well... We are on the "grassroots" site

dean1484
2/23/23 11:58 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

That about sums it up!!!   

dean1484
2/24/23 12:14 a.m.

@Air

I like the older cars.  I like the old F1 cars but I vote we keep things a bit tamer for the moment.  

dean1484
2/24/23 12:27 a.m.
bumpsteer said:

I need to get in on this at some point, any pointers for someone whose fastest car they've driven in AC has been the ND cup car? GT3 cars seems a bit intimidating.

To me the GT3 cars are much easier. I can not drive the slower cars well at all. Just jump in and go for it. Seat time is your friend and we are here to help. People can ride along with you as you are driving and give you some ideas in how to improve.  We do this all the time. I often jump in and watch the in car of the guys that are faster than me so I can see what they are doing.  

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
2/24/23 10:09 a.m.

For those looking for sim setups, I just got an email from Fanatec about a new direct drive wheel bundle for $499...

Fanatec DD bundle

Two pedals, and paddle shifting only, but I don't think I've seen a cheaper DD option.  The wheel base is available separately, and still quite a bit cheaper than the next option up if you wanted to bundle with three pedals and a shifter.

dean1484
2/24/23 4:58 p.m.

Race results from this Wednesday 

Next week is the halfway point of the season. The handycap is now starting to really pull the faster people back.  Sauce now has a record HC for any of the series we have run. Next week is Redbull ring. This is where we did most of the series testing.  It will be interesting to see how things shake out.  I ran over a second faster than my best testing lap in the 911 even with my handycap. I am hoping to keep it on track and compete for a win.   

Prodarwin should be back and I know he is good here. I am sure he will be pushing hard for a win now that he is back from his 2 weeks off.  This should be a really good race!!!  

I may try streaming it on my YouTube with OBS if anyone wants to watch the fun and listen to us banter back and forth.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/24/23 5:08 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Prodarwin should be back and I know he is good here. I am sure he will be pushing hard for a win now that he is back from his 2 weeks off.  

We'll see :)

As with last season, I am highly confident I wont make enough of the races to be in contention for an overall win, but I'll still join in the fun when I can.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/24/23 5:20 p.m.

Has there been any consideration of more diversified race days and/or times?  Only running Wednesdays from 5:30-7ish local can put a bit of a damper on West coasters with recurring family obligations.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/24/23 5:28 p.m.

Yeah, it's a compromise.  I am on the west coast also and it was sometimes a bit of a rush to get home, but I work from home now, so no issue for me now.  Of course, the east coasters have the opposite problem, we can run after after 11 pm for them.

When we had more participants with Gran Turismo, we did run a Sunday series also.

dean1484
2/25/23 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

We try and be as accommodating as possible. I am east coast so it can run late for me. We do have the power to delay starts. If you know you are running late ping us on discord from your phone and we can delay the start a bit.  Also while we try and start qualifying at 9:00 eastern we are always late. Mostly because I am not watching the time all that close and we obviously want as many people to have a chance to join us.   The short of it is we are flexible. This is for run after all. I will delay a start if it means we get another player.  

As Aircooled said we use to have a Sunday series when we were on the PlayStation Platform and it developed a good following. If there was enough intrest we could start that up again.

The other thing is you don't have to race the Wednesday stuff. Many of us practice quite often other times during the week and you could join in for that.  It is more of an informal get together thing. Kind of like a digital cars and coffee track day thing  you are welcome to just join us then.  It is why I keep the server is up 24/7.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/25/23 12:07 p.m.

HIghlights from last race.... close finish on second race!:

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/25/23 4:02 p.m.
Driven5 said:

So... What you're telling me, is to stop overthinking things and just keep an eye out for a cheap G27?

Well, that was quicker, cheaper, and easier than expected. Two days and less than $100, including the cost of the burger/beer lunch and poor-mans scenic cruise (Puget Sound Ferry) ticket.

Looks like the hardest part will be getting everything setup and configured... Then on to some off-hours driver training.

dean1484
2/25/23 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Very nice!!!!   Looking forward to seeing you!!!  

BradLTL
3/1/23 7:55 p.m.

Race day! Starting in about 1 hour, the server is up for practice (or at least I assume it is).

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZkMvg4y3MbeMoWEl2uF3K9rnFfvCwBwmHYAWWH9w1UYkdKRzXP5NBWRUORXOVa4a