1 2
rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
11/5/12 3:46 p.m.

Lets get some info going on what people play, why and with what. Ill try to make it concise.

Setup: Fanatec GT3RS w/ Clubsport Pedals. Highly recommended, pedals and wheels are amazing, shifter is terrible, particularly the attachment. Single monitor, basic desktop computer and office chair.

Never been in a league but have been looking for one recently. Typically I like GT1/3-esque race cars, touring cars and some open wheelers.

Just let my Iracing expire. Great tool, not fun enough though and requires too much time. Also expensive. Great and most organized community, pretty great system to develop new drivers. Physics are hit/miss for me, on the general they are decent, there is definitely an element of them being artificially difficult. Particularly with cars sliding. Favorite car was the Mustang. Only racecars.

Live for Speed (LFS). Just tried this after 2 year absence. Don't know if it was the trial by fire of Iracing, but man is this game much more fun and easier to drive with slip angle. One time fee got me all the cars and tracks. The physics feel the most "right" to me in this game. Great but dwindling community, getting dated with updates being far and few in between. No real tracks or cars, but obvious car copies: You get your "porsche" car, Lotus 7s, Turbo 200hp RWD (944 turbo/FC turbo looking car), Turbo kit roadster, and some open wheelers. Awesome autocross editor lets you make your own courses.

Rfactor. Largest community, game is a bit of a bandaid hackjob because the game comes very basic originally but many mods are available. One time fee like LFS. Game experience depends entirely on mods, some are terrible, some are great. I personally have very little seat time but I am a fan of the Porsche Cup car mod. You can download pretty much anything you can think of for this game, question is whether it is accurate or well done. All tracks and cars are free. Probably will download the FSONE 2009 and the infamous cart mod. Largest supported racer, many leagues and racing of all kinds.

Dirt 3. Not very realistic (you go with Richard Burns Rally for the realism) but SO MUCH FUN. 600 hp group B flying around like mad? Yes please. It was cheap, and I found myself playing it much more than Iracing because it was fun. I would say this is on par with GT5 for realism except on dirt. Flashy, fast and fun.

F1-2011 Great looking, somewhere in between Gt5 and hardcore sim. Much more polish than a lot of the mod-sim racers. Not a very serious community. Fun to play through the story mode, this one wont keep you hooked like RFactor for 10 years.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/5/12 3:48 p.m.

Why no you rallycross or ice race?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/5/12 4:17 p.m.

Personally, I like GranTurismo simply because we have a great GRM league.

I'm also joining an indoor karting league this winter to help keep myself sharp between whatever ice races I can find. Crossed fingers for some real winter weather this year.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/5/12 4:18 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I'm also joining an indoor karting league this winter to help keep myself sharp between whatever ice races I can find. Crossed fingers for some real winter weather this year.

We can only hope...

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
11/5/12 4:18 p.m.

In reply to rwdsport:

There are very active Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 4 groups that race every week and use the GRM Forum as a base of communication. This coming Wed. night is the first race for the dual series consisting of UTL in the spirit of the original small bore 2.5 TA cars. The other series is for Race modified 69 Camaro Z28s. It looks like we're going to have full or nearly full fields. Come join us.

The rules and details for the two series are found here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-9/55703/page1/

I'm not sure what the Forza guys are doing right now.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/5/12 11:44 p.m.

Oh, bummer I am Forza all the way. I do have a wheel that I bought for GT5 however.

Have you tried SimRaceway? I think they purchased LFS or Rfactors engine?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/12 8:07 a.m.

I've been playing through NFS:S2U (w/ minimod), next I want to do RBR and F1 2012. I'm just catching up on all the driving sims I missed while holding off on buying a G25/G27, which saved me $0 in the end. I might try playing Rfactor online. I'm also working on a custom analog+digital handbrake controller made from an old gamepad. I only game on the PC so Forza is right out.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/6/12 8:23 a.m.

Get the Historic GT & Touring Cars for rFactor Real Feel FFB mod. Screaming around Mid-Ohio or Barber in a 60s Abarth, 73 RSR or E28 is amazing. Those guys really put a lot of time and effort into the look and sound of the cars.

I also let iRacing expire. It is just not engaging enough in variety of available cars or series with decent participation. For as much as they tout the realism... I didn't find it's "reality" to be any better than rFactor with a few mods and it is a hell of a lot more money.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
11/6/12 10:36 a.m.

I also support the GT5 suggestion. Vast selection of cars, pretty good physics, and the group that graefin posted is a butt-ton of fun.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/6/12 10:57 a.m.

iRacing, Logitech G25, budget 3 monitor setup.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
11/6/12 12:14 p.m.

Sorry boys, no can do on the GT5. Although I do have the game and system, its in family mode in the family room, whereas my wheel and PC are in the dungeon. The game is honestly a big difference with the wheel, nearly impossible to catch oversteer with the dpad becomes casual driving with the wheel.

I remember I got gold on the first try on one of the oval tests on my friends wheel. Went home and could not best a bronze with the dpad. Being able to dial in steering angle exactly instead of tapping to dance between plus/minus 200 degrees is a big bonus.

I am going to have to try the historics, sounds like my cup of tea. Anyone participate in any rfactor open wheel series or the PCC?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
11/6/12 1:45 p.m.

Your Fanatech wheel wont work on ps3?

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
11/6/12 2:26 p.m.

It will, but I have no space to set it up in the family quarters. Not worth the trouble, also, having tried both the sim racing on PC is on a different level.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
11/6/12 2:59 p.m.

I'm in the process of building a new gaming rig (parts are slowly trickling in from the 'egg), and have a G25 sitting in wait.

Looking to do some LFS again, Richard Burns Rally, and the like; I'd love if there was a Forza/GT5-like game for PC with all the licensed cars/tracks and modification system, but I think the closest thing is NFS:Shift/Shift2.

Also gonna do a Winter Karting series with the local sports car club; we have a good electric karting place here locally that uses 20hp karts.

jde
jde Reader
11/6/12 6:18 p.m.

For those without rFactor, I'm not sure I'd buy it for full-price these days, as ISI are well underway developing rF2. I believe you can pay for it now, and get access to the beta.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
11/6/12 8:11 p.m.

I loved iRacing way back in 2008. Unfortunately my computer had a very hard time running it. I have a new computer that will run it and just got the email confirming it will run on windows 8 so I will be joining again.

I will still run with our awesome GT5 league though.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/6/12 8:59 p.m.
rwdsport wrote: It will, but I have no space to set it up in the family quarters. Not worth the trouble, also, having tried both the sim racing on PC is on a different level.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=914885

GameboyRMH
11/7/12 8:09 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: but I think the closest thing is NFS:Shift/Shift2.

Skip the first one, and when you get the second one add the "minimod," or it will feel like every tire is a Kumho XS and every steering system is in desperate need of a full overhaul.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/7/12 9:19 a.m.

Oh what is this magic you speak of some minimod for shift?

GameboyRMH
11/7/12 9:28 a.m.

http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-2-handling-minimod-released

paul
paul HalfDork
11/9/12 5:20 p.m.

Big LFS fan, been playing it for sometime now; we should get a GRM league going! The lx6 & fzr are awesome 'sim' cars...

I use the Driving force GT wheel/pedals. No real complaints considering the price.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
11/10/12 4:55 p.m.

I would be very interested in doing this! Although I must confess, the open wheel cars ruined street cars for me. The FOX (formula ford equivalent?) is just sublime on south city long. All the feedback, the late braking and left foot braking...

The Formula V8 is my choice for the longer tracks.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/10/12 6:19 p.m.

That is the wheel I have

paul
paul HalfDork
11/11/12 5:03 p.m.
rwdsport wrote: I would be very interested in doing this! Although I must confess, the open wheel cars ruined street cars for me. The FOX (formula ford equivalent?) is just sublime on south city long. All the feedback, the late braking and left foot braking... The Formula V8 is my choice for the longer tracks.

Yeah, the Fox is a blast. The raceabout is a handful, but really rewarding with a quality setup. My s/n is 'suffolk brewer'...

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/13/12 10:39 a.m.

I have a pretty fast connection and computer, I could host LFS games if needed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U2LTKF7NOWqUp8mLztpUBKa677Zj4JIE4Ojge5LT3ZoBZ5NHDEIHnr5nJGKbnych