Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
6/18/18 9:24 p.m.

Since fixing to tow pig's multiple electric gremlins I have discovered the radio is just a POS that shuts off at random.

The truck is a 2002 F350 base truck,used a single DIN radio with an install kit (small pocket above the radio) from Crunch Field last time .

Any suggestions on a replacement, just need's to do AM/FM and either Blue tooth.or AUX jack input.

Thanks, Paul B

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
6/18/18 9:30 p.m.

I recently picked up a cheap JVC single DIN off Amazon for ~$79.  Does BT phone/music, USB and Aux.  Also SiriusXM ready, and a couple other services I'm not familiar with.  Nothing great, but sounds decent in my beater NB.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
6/18/18 10:16 p.m.

Had a JVC head unit back in the day, good radio but sold.it with the car. By chance do.you know.the model number?

Thanks, Paul B

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
6/18/18 11:14 p.m.
slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
6/19/18 7:32 a.m.

And in the $20 category:  Cheap AM/FM/USB/MP3/Bluetooth

Oh, yeah, it has a remote.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/19/18 7:41 a.m.

I just ordered a Kenwood unit from Crutchfield for $90 that has way more features that you're looking for. If you're not super picky just go to the local WalMart and look at a couple. Every unit now has aux or BT, and digital media receivers (no CD player) can be had in-store for $50. Just grab one and go without waiting on shipping.

I sprung for the higher end deck mostly because it can connect to a phone app for audio setup, had 6 amp outputs, and was satellite ready. Extensive customization of EQ and speaker outputs is a PITA through a single DIN unit, so I wanted to see if the app made that easier. The other stuff is futureproofing.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
6/19/18 7:45 a.m.

Been a fan of Pioneer stuff.  Had a bunch of them in the "Super Tuner" family.  Many of them of indeterminate age that came with vehicles.  Seem to hold up and the tuners work very well.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/19/18 9:54 a.m.

You can put a double DIN in those trucks using a dremel and an Explorer install kit from Metra.  Works tip top.  I have an Alpine double din in my 2002 F250.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
6/19/18 10:17 a.m.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Paul

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 11:26 a.m.

Any suggestions to look more OEM like and less like a carnival?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
6/19/18 12:43 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I hate that, too.  The Pioneer's are pretty clean looking though.

Pioneer DEH-S5000BT Front

I look for the ability to operate the unit with my big meat sausage fingers.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/19/18 12:48 p.m.

The Kenwood I ordered is less subdued than the Pioneer I have in the Mustang (which looks even slicker than the one above) but it features lighting that is all one color and can be user-adjusted. This way I can adjust it to match the dash lights and look a little more factory.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 1:04 p.m.

Both Blaupunkt and Pioneer have some interesting options.  

Sadly, what I really hope for is a back lit LCD display.  I doubt I'll ever find one of those.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/18 1:19 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Both Blaupunkt and Pioneer have some interesting options.  

Sadly, what I really hope for is a back lit LCD display.  I doubt I'll ever find one of those.

I'm with you. I found one, but it costs a fortune, and I don't think it even has a tuner. Sony RSX-GS9

This one is probably worth a $40 gamble. No bluetooth though, not sure if that matters for you or not. No CD player either.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 1:31 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Of the modern features I actually use, BT is one of them- hands free calling and streaming music.  But that gamble does show there is a possibility.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/18 1:35 p.m.
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 1:57 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Don't see why not.  And even better, my car is a Miata, so an "hardened" stereo would not be a bad thing.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia New Reader
6/19/18 3:07 p.m.

Any easy ideas on using the $20 Walmart unit  as a "Boombox" in the shop  or yard ?

do you need to redo all the presets if you disconnect the battery ?

Thanks for your ideas

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/18 3:24 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I have a spare computer power supply that I'm hooking a $30 BOSS media receiver to in the shop. I've used battery chargers in the past for running head units before, but want something a bit more permanent this time. 

Typically disconnecting power will clear your presets and settings, but since I don't listen to radio is not much of a concern for me. Some units are getting memory these days, but I have no idea which ones. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/29/18 9:40 a.m.

As a follow up, on anther board, someone suggested just having a hidden BT amp, which made me look- and I could easily add one to my existing system.  Which gives me the modern, hands free music and calling that I want, and keep the original head unit.

Now I need to see if I can get the head unit cleaned up so it will work.

FWIW, it's MORE expensive than getting a modern head unit.  Quite a bit more for the low end head units that have BT and all the hands free features.  But given I hate those units.....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/29/18 10:10 a.m.

I plan on adding one of those hidden units to my boat at some point, they're pretty cool. I know what you mean about refurbed older units. I found some place online that sells refurbed 1.5 DIN units for the ZJ that have had bluetooth and aux added. Very cool solution but they were $300-$500 and you still had the crappy late 90s amp inside and two sliders for audio control.

In other news I finally got the deck I linked above installed and bypassed the factory Infinity Gold amp. Man, the new stereo sounds SO much better and the app controls to adjust everything are killer even though the app is clunky.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
6/29/18 7:38 p.m.

I loved my JVC mechless in my last car. I loved the front and rear 3.5mm jacks and the front and rear USB ports.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
6/29/18 8:28 p.m.

Looking at some Pyle Bluetooth hidden amps myself too.   Though mainly because I want to use the radio location for other things.  

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
6/29/18 10:15 p.m.

Delphi makes a simple looking unit for big rigs that should work well in a car. I'm not sure if the connections on the back are universal or not.

https://www.iowa80.com/browse/semi-truck-electronics-radios/SATELITRDS/

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/18 10:33 p.m.

I just bought this for the CRX of DooM:

Cheapie Blaupunkt at Wallyworld

I don't think it even has AM but it's mech-less, has Bluetooth and a remote.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1UCP7B24YZTUbNH8FpoHfwfCjG9K0Km20NcOu7heTkT28RZDKgdsEhZFxHn0ACF5