David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/15/16 11:40 a.m.

As the 1990s came to a close, Honda was riding a massive wave of popularity. The Integra Type R was the benchmark for every other sport compact. Swarms of modified Civics prowled the streets. The Honda brand simply dominated the import tuner scene.

And after a brief hiatus, the Civic Si was back. For the 1999 model year, the masses …

Read the rest of the story

trucke
trucke Dork
11/16/16 8:22 a.m.

Those are great cars! A friend of mine bought one new as a birthday present for his wife. She was 70, yes 70! Sadly, a couple of years ago, someone ran a red light and totaled it. My friends were only slightly bruised. Insurance paid out handsomely.

NickD
NickD Dork
11/16/16 8:50 a.m.

Arguably the best Honda Civic Si we received here in the US. I would love to own one but all the ones around here are rusted to death or have been beat within an inch of their life.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
11/16/16 4:54 p.m.

I was amazed at how close one of those was to my '98 GSR sedan when one happened to park next to me. Almost identical size and dimensions. Love me some Honda B series motors. Mine suffered death by minivan, passed smog within 6 weeks of being totalled, so it ended up on the road again fairly quick with a salvage title.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
11/16/16 5:00 p.m.

Clean simple lines. Never dug the polished rims tho'. Brings out my 'Practical Classics' side.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
11/17/16 1:54 p.m.

It's like GRM knows my craiglist history LOL

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/17/16 2:24 p.m.

My wife and I bought a blue 2000 Civic Si brand-new, and it appeared in the mag back in the day. Sadly we sold it two years ago. The car was doing just fine, but it was time for her to drive something new so we moved her into a then-new Civic Si sedan. We miss the old one but, to be honest, I like the fact that she now has side-impact airbags and a few other modern touches. The four doors makes road trips a bit easier, too. If we had unlimited space, that 2000 Si would still be with us.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
11/17/16 7:16 p.m.

Worked on mine today - put black manual mirrors of parts car on instead of the power mirrors that don`t work anyway.

Up here they were SiR, but since mine was originally a US car, we can call it an Si

farmerfloyd
farmerfloyd
11/24/16 12:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: As the 1990s came to a close, Honda was riding a massive wave of popularity. The Integra Type R was the benchmark for every other sport compact. Swarms of modified Civics prowled the streets. The Honda brand simply dominated the import tuner scene. And after a brief hiatus, the Civic Si was back. For the 1999 model year, the masses again had their turnkey, hotted-up Honda Civic. The Civic Si concept was nothing new. Honda had been offering factory-built, performance-tuned Civics for decades, with the first Civic Si coming stateside for 1986. The original Civic Si formula was simple: Take a competent chassis and punch up the performance courtesy of a horsepower hike, increased grip and bigger brakes. The Civic Si package was civil, too, incorporating a slightly upmarket interior and a sunroof. The package worked well on both road and track.
farmerfloyd
farmerfloyd New Reader
11/24/16 12:26 p.m.

I am 74 years old and came across 89 CRX in 1997 and put in a 94 GSR B-18 and what a car installed a Integra ls 5th gear ( 5100 rpm was a 100 mph) much better then screaming down interstate. Then added a 1992 GSR (B-17) 160 hp with 201k miles and checked bearings (no wear), put pan back on and now 10 years later it has 326k miles (Never had pan off since) worked on 3rd gear twice. Love that car and faster then a 94 gsr. lighter, Built a 71 Datsun 510 with drivetrain from Honda S-2000 (9000 rpm, 242 hp) and 700 lbs lighter then S-2000. Fast as 450 hp Vette. Love all my Honda V-techs

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
6/25/19 12:00 p.m.

Man I saw a clean one of these the other day and I don't remember the last time I neck snapped at a Honda but it definitely made me look twice.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/19 1:03 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

The blue and red just look great. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tPD7gJqGHKWoB8AZsYCik6311bO48J3EBqtjz2j0KVg7CJ6PEOOaupuSMLGUgI8W