1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/21/18 3:40 p.m.

Prius one morning gave a red triangle on the dash and a code of POA4B. Gas engine would not engage, battery only. 

I had it towed in Friday. I'm picking it up tonight after being told "chewed wires". 

I hop in and have a big red triangle and no gas engine! 

I am now sitting here why they try to decide what they charged me $399 for. 

Invoice

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/18 4:05 p.m.

Because Kasper are filthy crooks.  You should have been there when i laid into their sales manager on the floor in front of other potential customers 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/21/18 4:08 p.m.

Do we need another Hennessy honda thread? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/21/18 4:26 p.m.

I hate Kasper too!!!  I mostly hate them because they peddle the ultra-scammy Warranty Forever.  

They pulled the car back to the front and told me it was a P0121 code.  They said it's cleared and it is okay.  I had forgotten to bring my own code reader.  I left and got about half the 3 miles home and it was reading a CEL again.  I stopped home and got my reader which said P1116.  

I took the car back and have left it there and got a ride home from the Service Shuttle.  

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
5/21/18 4:30 p.m.

Not that I'm taking the dealer's side, but does this cost include replacing the portion of the wiring harness that was chewed? At an independent shop, they might just splice in and solder some wire to repair it, but I'm wondering if because it is the dealer, they are obligated to actually replace the harness.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
5/21/18 5:43 p.m.

At first reading it was a Toyota dealership I was thinking your thread title was some kind of joke. Sadly it’s not. I thought the only crooked dealer service depts sold what were once known as “American made” products. Apparently not anymore.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/21/18 6:10 p.m.

I just heard today that one of the Japanese carmakers's wiring is so tasty to rodents that the manufacturer is now selling a rodent resistant or repellant tape to wrap wires in.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/21/18 6:12 p.m.

Payment for chewed wires might also be a comprehensive insurance claim.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
5/21/18 6:14 p.m.

That looks like 2.5 hours of diag/work. Did they give you an estimate when you dropped it off? I'm more surprised the RO doesn't have a longer explanation for line A.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/21/18 6:18 p.m.

How do they know it was a red mouse that chewed the wires? Unless said mouse body was found after chewing on a hot wire? laugh

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/21/18 6:20 p.m.

Materials for repair order are listed as $25?  What materials if they didn’t do anything?   

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
5/21/18 6:30 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

I just heard today that one of the Japanese carmakers's wiring is so tasty to rodents that the manufacturer is now selling a rodent resistant or repellant tape to wrap wires in.

My brother in law used to be a mechanic at an Acura dealership and rodents chewing on wires was common because the rodents like the taste of the soy based insulation that covers the wires. The replacement wiring harnesses often came with a "soy free" label on them, to prevent future incidents.

wae
wae SuperDork
5/21/18 7:23 p.m.

But hey.  At least you got a car wash.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/18 8:05 p.m.

I didn't think labor was sales taxed. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/21/18 8:17 p.m.

I'm not happy with my toyota dealership.  Are they turning into GM from the 80's or is it me?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/21/18 8:23 p.m.

Did they write down the vin from you car and then give you an estimate for the 30k maintenance that included an automatic transmission filter and fluids, despite the obvious manual transmission? Or adjust the labor cost of the spark plug change portion of the same maintenance for a manual transmission model so that it came out the same price overall despite  $40 less in parts?  Ah, the Toyota dealership experience. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/21/18 9:41 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I'm not happy with my toyota dealership.  Are they turning into GM from the 80's or is it me?

Tom suddard seems to agree

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/21/18 10:34 p.m.

I just want to know what the problem is. Repair shop antics are old news to me. I recently had to do the first noteworthy repair to our '07 at 268k. The electric coolant pump for the inverter system failed. $54 Amazon Prime. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/18 8:18 a.m.

I had bought a dash cam about a month ago. BlueSkySea $50.

I went last night to the car and pulled the SIM card.  It took forever to review footage and I only get footage if the car is running (ignition on).  I do however have these two which point to the tech stating a stuck throttle body but rather than fix or present this as the reason for code, they just clear the code and send me on my way.   

Video #1 picks up conversation at 41 second point and that conversation continues on Video #2.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/22/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

since you were recording inside a private establishment..  It's interesting to me to see if this would stand in court...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/18 8:29 a.m.

Not trying to take to court.  Not try to be adversarial.  Just trying to continue to make the car run reliable.  

I had to have the car towed in to the shop due to the fact the gas engine would not run.  That gas engine does now run but with a CEL on.   

However, curious question... Was I recording inside a private building or was I recording inside my vehicle (my private domain)? 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/22/18 8:34 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to John Welsh :

since you were recording inside a private establishment..  It's interesting to me to see if this would stand in court...

I don't think that matters. I think you take it to the manager, ask for them to correct the charge and the service provided, and take it elsewhere.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/22/18 8:35 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Not trying to take to court.  Not try to be adversarial.  Just trying to continue to make the car run reliable.  

I had to have the car towed in to the shop due to the fact the gas engine would not run.  That gas engine does now run but with a CEL on.   

However, curious question... Was I recording inside a private building or was I recording inside my vehicle (my private domain)? 

I think you're in a private building. I remember a dealership suing someone who posted a video to youtube of something similar.

wae
wae SuperDork
5/22/18 8:39 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter since you're recording a conversation with knowledge of at least one party (or in some states without knowledge of all parties).  That's pretty much not allowed, court or not.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/22/18 8:45 a.m.

Surely rodents are a justification for the legality of assault rifles?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJJNDz9drrRx6DGIdhRUOVqGL7Kcbi62NGrQzVjUrpK7INi9o5uoHTPHBIOdsHQw