Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
9/3/20 9:00 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the April 2013 issue of Grassroots Motorsports]

Unless you want to be constantly giving a point-by, the days of the 100-horsepower track car sadly seem to be over. The reality is that today’s track scene requires a bit more grunt.

While it’s possible to whip up some zillion-horsepower special, what about realistic …

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
9/3/20 11:08 a.m.

Good advice and great picks but as someone who is tracking 100hp car , unless you're running big horsepower tracks you won't be doing constant point buys.  Granted I'm a better than average driver and by virtue of instructing I know every pavement seam on my home track but it still comes down to driver.

The only reason I bring it up is there is this notion you need a 300-400hp car to go to track days. An old Miata or Civic with the bone stock engine works just fine.Sorry for the thread hijack of sorts but I really hate the notion that somehow one couldn't show up in a Honda Fit and have a good time.

Note I am aware that a Miata was the first car on the list and it's definitely my pick of the bunch, cause I'm cheap.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/20 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Your notion isn't wrong.. and that's before you even start talking the $$ of consumables on the faster cars.

i do think this list is missing a Honda Fit ot 90's Honda/Acura hatchback..

driver95 (Forum Supporter)
driver95 (Forum Supporter) New Reader
9/3/20 3:59 p.m.

I think the general feel of this article reads as the writers picks if you were going to replace your current vehicle anyway. The reality is if you want to have fun at a track day then go to one! I track a 2003 Accord with 215k miles and it's a blast.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
9/3/20 5:55 p.m.

@driver95 why so few miles? :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lFsM3Yvh0WX0it7OcOL92HZUrF3u2ceKRRSsNEDGezi98eHTcSVp3HQQWLJUeO8Y