Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/7/22 9:00 a.m.

I've been browsing various older cars on Marketplace the past year:  MR2, 944, C3 Vette, CRX, anything Datsun...

I owe about $5k on the Crosstrek - maybe skip all that, pay off the Crosstrek, and have a $5-10K downpayment for a new GR Corolla?  The BRZ becomes the toy?

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
9/7/22 9:57 a.m.

My guess is that dealers get greedy with markup on the Corolla, but you might find a dealer willing to take your reservation who agrees to msrp. I'd have trouble committing to something like that without ever having driven the new car though, the nice thing about classic toys is that you could drive one a while and if it doesn't suit you, someone out there will likely want to buy it from you when you're done.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/7/22 10:00 a.m.

If you're cool with the monthly payments, I'd say why not go for the Corolla? Sure, you won't get the old-school car experience™, but you'd be getting a pretty awesome piece of kit that even comes with a warranty.

And, in the end, both the BRZ and Corolla will likely become desirable classics if you hold onto them long enough.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/7/22 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Jerry : 

Toys always require work!    And money.
      New cars typically are pretty close to paid off before they start getting greedy and needy.   But they have a habit of getting old and wanting a replacement.  Its  the shiny new object syndrome. 
Nothing wrong with that, if that's your priority.  Eventually enough time goes by  and you'll wonder, is that all there is?   

What you want is a toy you can buy out of pocket change, One where if things change ( hey,  life happens) you can shove it in a corner and leave it alone.  It's not worth enough to sell it in a down market.   Simply by stopping buying things your overhead eases off but you can go ahead working on it in your spare time.  Cleaning, fixing, adjusting, etc.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/22 10:32 p.m.

*carefully notes Jerry's tendency to sell cars a couple years after purchase*

Uh, yeah, what everyone else said about buying a GR Corolla.

smiley

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/7/22 11:32 p.m.

Kenosha, Wisconsin discounts Toyotas $300 right now with upper end Tacomas less $750 off sticker.  I think I was #10 on the GR list?  

Then the dealer throws around they dont know if they might only get one next year?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/8/22 7:00 a.m.

I love the new GR Corolla, I don't like Toyota's buying system.

With the demand for the car I think it's going to be hard to find one that doesn't have a big ADM.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/8/22 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QDAlVWHpb1mPkxLNBTsunYibxvporQAZ5uBkZjLLi2aECMFYeXeEV0BjkJtLOAlk