1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/2/18 11:44 a.m.

At least it's not your tree.  You could be facing that dilemma too.  

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
3/2/18 11:51 a.m.

that would mean home insurance covering it and putting money in the pocket. So are we hoping for the mini's demise or not?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/18 11:58 a.m.
John Welsh said:

At least it's not your tree.  You could be facing that dilemma too.  

Hopefully.  I don't think we're quite... excuse me... out of the woods yet on this... still 35mph w/ higher gusts going on for the next 6(?) hours, with 25mph predicted tomorrow

sleepyhead
3/2/18 12:01 p.m.

some pics of the Sonata

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
3/2/18 12:01 p.m.

You’re best off filing through your auto carrier for a comprehensive claim and then letting them try to subrogate the owner of the tree for the damage.  

Just because their heir tree fell doesn’t necessarily mean that they were negligent and owe for the damage.  Sometimes bad stuff just happens.   Was the tree in obviously bad condition before today?  This is quite a strong storm we are having in the east coast right now.  

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/2/18 12:05 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

25-35mph winds? that's called tuesday here. 

Also, DAMN THAT TREE! 

sleepyhead
3/2/18 12:10 p.m.
Sonic said:

You’re best off filing through your auto carrier for a comprehensive claim and then letting them try to subrogate the owner of the tree for the damage.  

Just because their heir tree fell doesn’t necessarily mean that they were negligent and owe for the damage.  Sometimes bad stuff just happens.   Was the tree in obviously bad condition before today?  This is quite a strong storm we are having in the east coast right now.  

yeah, that was the second phone call we made (we were expecting a roof mat'l delivery today).  Which is how that car ended up in the spot... which is great, since it's the only currently on comprehensive.

rep: "I see that you've declined rental coverage"
thinking to myself: "yeah, we've got five cars for two drivers... don't think we'll need a rental."

I'll let insurance do it's thing.  I'm of the "sometimes bad stuff happens" opinion... and also, the HOA around here is pretty sticky about getting approval to down trees, part of the ambiance.  We're frankly amazed the tree it landed in didn't come down too.

sleepyhead
3/2/18 12:14 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

that would mean home insurance covering it and putting money in the pocket. So are we hoping for the mini's demise or not?

I think John meant more "dealing with the car and dealing with having to remove the tree"... which... true

as for MINI's demise.  {meh} we'll be fine either way.  It was sleepywife's "good daily car", and we were planning to take it across the pond this summer... but we've got time and options.

As for immediately, she can get around in the "Z"... which she has much more emotional attachment to... or the Sonata, if it comes all the way down to it.  Frankly, I'm super lucky it didn't get hit, because it's supposed to be in the garage.

I think, come 2021, we'll be a 3 auto, 1 manual family for a little while

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
3/2/18 12:55 p.m.

... damn trees.  I had a similar experience last year with a neighbors tree.

sleepyhead
3/2/18 1:19 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I dunno, I think you ended up with a better setup of cars cheeky

one nice thing about it happening now is I don't have to deal with all the leaves!  surprise

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/2/18 1:44 p.m.
Sonic said:

I had a tree fall from my side of the property line and cut the neighbors house (trailer) in half. Their insurance didn't even talk to me. It was during a hurricane, but still. 

sleepyhead
3/2/18 2:31 p.m.

that neighbor's day has just gotten worse... massive tree from their other side just knocked a skylight into the corner of their house.  I checked, they're all okay.

Like I said, I'll let you know tomorrow if we made it through.

sleepyhead
3/3/18 7:51 a.m.

Well, we're not in Kansas anymore...

...but that's good, because we weren't to begin with; and I'm not very good at b&w phone shots.

Otherwise, we've made it through.

In driving the Sonata are last night, I think I've confirmed that the oil is seeping out of the oil filter cap.  also, I probably have a loose heat shield somewhere.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/18 12:31 p.m.

Took the car out for coffee with the family.  It did fine... although it'll be nicer once the suspension is cleaned up.

Also, found a branch strike I hadn't noticed before...

and there's some more paint scuffs on the rear pax door.  This thing's headed for "no E36 M3's given territory"

sleepyhead
3/5/18 12:02 p.m.

First test spray:

Good from far, by far from good.  looks ok-ish because: phone pic.  I'll probably need to wait for warmer weather, and shoot in the garage.

Also dropped in an order for front B4's, H&R's, and SPC's... and got a call from TireRack about recommending B6's for those springs.  LOL
Heck, I had to order the B4's against a '08 'cause the '06 didn't have them listed anymore.  So, let's hope they fit? wink 

edit: got a call in to Porterfield, we'll see what the quote looks like

sleepyhead
3/5/18 7:36 p.m.

I think this might be my go-to radio removal video...

The real question is going to be... to re-insert or 'simply-remove' that trim piece?

edit:
wow, ease of assembly?  i.e., the door speakers are riveted on.  Guess it's been a long time since I went diving into car-audio...

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/5/18 7:41 p.m.

YAy! New parts 

sleepyhead
3/6/18 11:22 a.m.

got the quote back from Porterfield, and it's a bit more than I was hoping for.  I think I might go G-Loc again this year.  We'll see what kind of response I get out GoTurnStop.

sleepyhead
3/7/18 11:17 a.m.

minor update today:
driving sleepykid#1 back and forth to school today, opened the cubby below the hvac controls... and recoup is up!

• mechanical pencil
  • Mercedes Pen
  • leaked-out Alkaline AAA
  • $12.25 in a fiver, and bunch of coins
  • a few more coins once I attack them being stuck into the cubby with battery acid sad

Also, removed the pax vertical dash cover, and unhooked the glovebox damper in advance of work around the dash.

edit:
Total Recoup:  $15.75
Total Spent: $100 + $176 + $557 = $833

Total Project: $2900 + $808 = $3708

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/7/18 11:26 a.m.

A Mercedes pen! So jelly.......

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/7/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'm sure for the right price it could be yours. ;)

I'll be sure to bring my official Hyundai pen along. It's not for sale.

sleepyhead
3/7/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth & Bob the REAL oil guy. :

of Annapolis

I should put it on Ebay for $100... it even still writes!

I'll note, that the Hyundai was replaced by a Merc sedan... but the Sonata kept getting used "some" since it was outside, and already had "suburban hangar rash"

sleepyhead
3/7/18 12:17 p.m.

Springs and front shocks just showed up...

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/7/18 12:47 p.m.

I love the smell of fresh parts in the morning.

sleepyhead
3/10/18 11:57 a.m.

Well, the car survived a week of "Daily Mr. Mom" errands... about 130miles.  So, a baby step forward.  

I managed about 20mins with the car today, so far.

• Glove box & damper - 4.25#s
  • Radio head unit - 5.5#s
  • Dash Pax Side Cover - 0.25#s

Total: 10#s

Which was probably a good thing, as the radio was only held in by the bottom two Phillips head screws.  The airbag light and hazard switch mounts are pretty close to being toast... so, I might have to fire up the cardboard-AD... and do some wood-interior fab.  (Those lights/switches are required for me).

Dunno how much more time I'll get with it today.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7TqhdEKLZL83DPfBJwuR5wMgPudQETiz1hhQjWVnb5ogw83N7oElljsxghLNjQr