1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/18 8:14 p.m.

Moving forward-ish...

edit: so, just because I yanked the radio, and plan to pull the speakers, doesn't mean I like a "tuneless car"... so I took a $50 BestBuy Holiday Card, and got a $75 Bluetooth speaker... and somehow picked the one that fits the hole in the dash.  Although, there's a lot of reasons why it won't stay there.  There's an off-chance it'll end up where the glovebox was... maybe in place of the center console... although, from moving it around, I think the best sound would come from mounting it where the sunroof is now.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/18 8:17 p.m.

fancy sound system

sleepyhead
3/12/18 8:21 p.m.
MrChaos said:

fancy sound system

honestly, I probably shoulda bought a Sony sad

but, this is a budget project wink

MrChaos
3/12/18 8:25 p.m.

it is removable for weight savings though

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/12/18 9:22 p.m.

Mount it low. COG is important. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
3/13/18 9:30 a.m.

so.... how will we decide who gets to control it? What if I want to listen to some death metal on the long slogs to stay awake? lol..... the idea of 3 middle aged white dudes listening to death metal in a Sonata while traversing the country to beat a civic makes me giggle a little. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/13/18 10:47 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

the idea of 3 middle aged white dudes listening to death metal in a Sonata while traversing the country to beat a civic makes me giggle a little. 

This is your real life. Go back in time and explain that to 17 year old Bob.

sleepyhead
3/13/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

I plan to get a cheap ~$150 android wifi tablet to run tunes, navs, and track data with.  We 'll have to see about loading music files onto it.

After totalling a car when I fell asleep behind the wheel in college... my rule has been "driver controls music"

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/13/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I bet 17year old Bob would have been stoked to hear that. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/13/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

17 year old Seth would have KNOWN that he would kick some Hyundai ass. cheeky

sleepyhead
3/13/18 11:04 a.m.

In other news... just got the call that the Countryman is totaled.  Good enough check will be coming in from that... although that means I need to make some decisions/research fast.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/13/18 11:06 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

17 year old bob had never heard of Hyundai and was a GM person. I didn't learn of the finer things in life until my late 20's. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/13/18 11:07 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I had a feeling with the crumpled quarter. 

sleepyhead
3/13/18 4:43 p.m.

I meant to post this earlier, but if I had more time/talent, I'd probably be trying to build something like this:

instead of buying the iHome speaker.  Probably would have gotten better sound at a cheaper price that way?  Something to think about if you come along and read this later... or are thinking of interesting ways to make a removable speaker setup for a racecar.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/13/18 5:19 p.m.

Does your speaker accept a 3.5mm cord?  My Infiniti Q45 #2 has a non-working factory radio.  I managed to purchase a Polk Audio Camden Square speaker on closeout at Sam's Club for under $100 (this was 3 years ago.)  It has a huge battery with a 24 hr battery and it seems to go that long.  Great sound.  Durable as heck.  7"x 7"x 4" 

With a 3.5mm cord, I plugged in my portable XM radio receiver and had endless XM radio the entire time.  The XM unit was plugged into the cig lighter.  The other end plugged into the speaker.  The antenna for the XM sat on the dashboard.   Super easy.  I still have all this stuff.  It's all I used in the car for the drive to Gainesville and back for a couple of years in a row.  

sleepyhead
3/13/18 8:11 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

3.5mm aux-in port is confirmed.  This speaker claims 8hr of run time, iirc... which could be enough (?)

I have no problem trying one or the other out... and am open to solutions.

MrChaos
3/13/18 8:13 p.m.

i mean it should charge from the USB charger like a phone so you can plug it in if needed.

sleepyhead
3/13/18 10:05 p.m.

it should, but we'll have to balance charging up 3 phones, and any other ancillary devices too.  fortunately the Sonata has a 100W (?) plug and a standard plug in the center console.  Although, it'd be nice to have another charging port accessible to the rear pax area.  I'll put that low on the list of things to get done, though

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/14/18 9:51 a.m.

I've got my 20,000 mAh power bank I'll bring that can be recharged in the hotel in about 2 hours. I planned on using that for my phone and GoPro. It'llrecharge an iphone something like 7 times from dead, an iPad 3 times and a lap top once (supposedly). 

sleepyhead
3/14/18 10:02 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

Not the morning I was expecting...

The sonata took some minor battle scrapes... but will just add to its "character"

for those keeping track, this was quoted as $12k to fix

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/14/18 10:05 a.m.

For what it's worth we used a 5 port charger thing Matt found, it worked great for keeping everything charged all at once. Granted we weren't running a speaker off it but we did have 2 phones, tablet, camera charging off it simoultaneously without issue.

I don't see one on amazon that looks just like this but I do see multiple others in the $10 range.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/14/18 10:09 a.m.

I've also got double USB plug accessory plugs. I think I have two, so that would be 4 items charging at once off the two aux outlets. 

sleepyhead
3/14/18 11:21 a.m.

I'll admit, I like the idea of having a bunch of ports pulling the most out of the 120W port that we can manage... and the fewer adapters we have to sort around, the better...

I might have to get another small weatherproof box to slam most of that stuff into while we're at the track, to minimize things getting lost/damaged

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/18 11:48 a.m.

Rather than storage box, look toward a Dry Sack type of answer  

One that is pseudo clear is easier to find items in.   Major disadvantage of a box is that when empty, it still takes up the same amount of cargo space.  When the bag is empty it has a minimal footprint.  The sack provides no protection from physical damage but very good at keeping dry.  

Literally available everywhere.  Often in the camping or Kayak area.  

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/14/18 12:05 p.m.

yes, a weatherproof storage solution would be good, we kept our mess of cables in a cardboard box. Which obviously became worthless after it rained.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d55YDXlu3EvVCmU8AXkDz0b8RekjBQmiVjGmebRsN4Oo7v9vm4FAPZdyrd7C5GlF