1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/18 12:16 p.m.

I'll have to post a pic up later of our assortment; including the 4L ones we use as diaper bags.

I've done that the last two years with opaque 8L Sea-to-Summit bags for my GoPro gear... and fishing around in the bag for that stuff became a hassle (on top of the normal GoPro hassle:  is it on? is it recording pics or video? etc)... so they ended up staying in the bag.  A box is easier to open and "see all the things" and pick out the one you need in a glance.

edit:

so, that's...

• 6 - 8L
  • 4 - Compression Sacks
  • 3 - 2L
  • 3 - 4L
  • 3 - In use (1 diaper bag, 1 depleted diaper bag, 1 "hospital sleeping bag")
  • At least 2 more of 2L or 4L size that I didn't find easily offhand while corralling sleepkid#2, who's like... why do you have all these dad!?
sleepyhead
3/14/18 2:11 p.m.

Hey Bob, any thoughts about manual Tiburon seats being "plug'n'play" for the airbags... in the Sonata?

driving the Sonata around, I've felt "on top" too much... and have already been thinking about trying to figure out how to drop the power seats down some via the way they're mounted to the "stubs"...

and then Seth's thread got me thinking about Genesis and Tiburon seats... and I figured Tib seats might match up better, and I can find a pair via car-part for $100 total.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
3/14/18 2:37 p.m.

I don't know. I know that they are plug and play in the 01-06 Elantra.... and they bolted in too. But those two were built on the same platform. 

EDIT: check the plugs. If they are the same you should be good. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/14/18 2:43 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

yes, a weatherproof storage solution would be good, we kept our mess of cables in a cardboard box. Which obviously became worthless after it rained.

Two of the last three years I've had an overflow bag. We use it to put cables and the rest of the stuff that migrates into the cabin during transits. Might be a hat, might be snacks, either way, if it was in the car when we got to the track it's in the overflow bag. The only year I didn't use one was when I was with some dude who had a bag for literally everything. cheeky

sleepyhead
3/14/18 6:57 p.m.

alright, GLoc R12F/F8R brake pads are in the making/baking, and should be shipped Friday.  $350 (OneLap special price)

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
3/16/18 8:00 p.m.

Sigh.   Maybe next year.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/16/18 8:45 p.m.

In reply to hhaase :

I'm 99% certain you're younger than Tim, Bob or me. There are plenty of guys who waited until they got their ducks in a row before taking on this silliness. We'll still be here when you're ready. 

sleepyhead
3/17/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to hhaase :

yeah, trust me:
rushing a car and/or a driver that aren't really ready is not the way to do OneLap.  It's recipe for greater heartache than you're feeling now.  I've made both mistakes in the past.  I'm very fortunate that things have turned out as well as they have... and that includes a 20 year friendship that three years later is "still on the rocks".

don't worry about missing this apex, or knocking that cone... there's a whole bunch more to ace ahead of you

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/17/18 10:09 a.m.

I really like what Tims doing here by introducing new people to this sickness. I’d like to do something similar in a couple years if the financial situation stays on this track. 

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
3/17/18 4:16 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to hhaase :

yeah, trust me:
rushing a car and/or a driver that aren't really ready is not the way to do OneLap.  It's recipe for greater heartache than you're feeling now.  I've made both mistakes in the past.  I'm very fortunate that things have turned out as well as they have... and that includes a 20 year friendship that three years later is "still on the rocks".

don't worry about missing this apex, or knocking that cone... there's a whole bunch more to ace ahead of you

Completely agree,  which is why I honestly feel zero regret about pushing things back.  I want to enjoy it, not force myself through something when things aren't lined up properly and thus ruin the experience.  Situations like that are called 'work'.   So I'll sit here cheering you guys on, using that as motivation to get my own run sorted out.

In fact, I'm just about to head to the garage to set the ignition timing and work on some new mounts for the coilover remotes.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/17/18 4:48 p.m.

I carried one bag when I did One Lap.  Much easier to load/unload.  If I do it again tho I'll take a tire trailer and just have the bags in it.  Unhitch, hit the track.  Hitch up, leave the track.

sleepyhead
3/17/18 5:21 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

yeah, but what did you do with the cassette tape collection when you were done with the transit?  or did you run the same Maxell UR 90 mixtape the whole time?

laugh

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
3/17/18 6:29 p.m.

I listened to the same damn 8 track the entire time sonny!  Now get off my lawn!  cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
3/17/18 6:32 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

I really like what Tims doing here by introducing new people to this sickness. I’d like to do something similar in a couple years if the financial situation stays on this track. 

Tim's a good guy. We talked quite a lot about dragging people into this nonsense when we were driving around in the Mini together. I'm enjoying the process of developing and improving a car with a friend right now, but sometime in the future I'll be doing the same thing he is. This sort of thing needs to be shared. 

sleepyhead
3/17/18 8:27 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

Tim's a good guy. We talked quite a lot about dragging people into this nonsense when we were driving around in the Mini together. I'm enjoying the process of developing and improving a car with a friend right now, but sometime in the future I'll be doing the same thing he is. This sort of thing needs to be shared. 

thanks for the positive vibes; the next two weeks are going to be pretty tough on me... stuff like this is going to help me see the otherside of it.  it's much appreciated.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/18/18 6:12 p.m.

So today’s trip showed me one thing. I have to pee every 3 hours at max. But 600 miles a day isn’t hard for me yet. 

sleepyhead
3/19/18 5:00 p.m.

I think I was wrong about the oil filter....

I think this banjo bolt (?) on top of the transmission is the source of my leak.  Although, there's still a possibility of another leak on the trans on the front side.  but that little... depression in front of the bolt was full up with transmission fluid... and the car leaves a pretty good spot on the ground if it's parked "nose down a hill" (i.e. the driveway) pretty much under here.

which is not to say the oil filter hasn't leaked, or isn't leaking... it's just much less than this, I think.  Although, I reserve the right to be wrong.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/19/18 5:06 p.m.

trans cooler line? A pair of new crush washers would likely fix that. 

sleepyhead
3/20/18 6:41 p.m.

An important box showed up today...

sleepykid#1 wanted in on the picture

sleepyhead
3/20/18 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

yesterday was only conducive to that amount of poking around.  didn't get to dig any further.  and today and tomorrow are probably out because of weather.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
3/21/18 10:13 a.m.

Before removing it, I'd check to make sure it's tight. It could just need a little tightening up. 

sleepyhead
3/26/18 11:31 a.m.

Haven't had much time to work on the car... do I've been working to firm up my GI tract instead! laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/18 11:53 a.m.

One Lap prep. Don't want to shock the system. 

sleepyhead
3/26/18 1:42 p.m.

Alright, Longer Update

The Sonata is currently over at my preferred shop (R&R Auto).  With the wife's car totaled, and the wife out-of-town for two weeks, getting the car to them is the only way I'll have it ready in time for OneLap.  And I might actually have it prepped enough for me to get it onto some kind of track time before OneLap.

It would have been nice to have done this all myself... and if I were in a position to have run this kind of project in OneLap 2019... or if I'd bought the car back in October, then I probably could have pulled it off.  Alas, that's not the case... so I'm going to leverage some professionals; even though Bob very gallantly offered to drive out here and wrench on the car 'till it was good.  I do appreciate that offer, and I'm sure Bob and I will be wrenching on the car a little bit the night before tech inspection.  Hopefully that makes up for it?

Does this destroy the "budget car at OneLap" project/ethos?  I dunno... I'll leave that up to the rest of y'all to chime in with your own opinion.

The reality is this two weeks I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with sleepykid maintenance;  cheeky  let alone car maintenance.  There's also an outside chance this car will be needed in the family for the next three years as a primary car.  although, that might not be workable once the car is setup for OneLap.

Hopefully, though, later this week I'll have some pictures for y'all of me painting wheels.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/18 2:18 p.m.

As someone who's done the whole "parenting small children alone for extended periods" just make it though today with all three of you healthy and as happy as can be. Then the next day. 
Just like eating an elephant. 

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DyoLidiJ7CYLwvgOzyHSPy9KJPhFeghlFjk6dN8nVOY1nkAHbR0BG3qrHkF3OUMj