1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30
Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/11/18 1:34 p.m.

The H&R's not needing to be compressed is normal in these (and all the other Korean Cars I've used them in). They're physically shorter so it fits without the need for compression you would normally need. They will make noise until they get settled. Then fine. Did he also shorten the bump stops? It's been a little while but I thought at least hte fronts had to be cut down. 

I've got some nice things to wrap the oil seepage if needed. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/18 1:52 p.m.

Unless the instructions said to cut them... probably not.

I'll wait on the leak then...  there's still an outside chance it's minor angel

sleepyhead
4/12/18 6:50 a.m.

looks like shakydog's done some recon....

sleepyhead
4/12/18 12:52 p.m.

car is picked up... I'll get a pic later... definitely need to shorten the bumpstops in the front, I think.  Might also weigh ordering up the eibach's to install into the front as a mixed set frown

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/12/18 1:36 p.m.

Totally forgot Gateway was on there somehow. That looks fun. 

sleepyhead
4/12/18 2:17 p.m.

Yeah.  One question I'm wondering about is if 4th is long enough that I'm going to be WOT through the oval turn onto the front straight?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/12/18 2:25 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

Yeah.  One question I'm wondering about is if 4th is long enough that I'm going to be WOT through the oval turn onto the front straight?

Gateway is a1.25 mile oval with a VERY flat infield section. You will not be topped out in 4th coming to the front straight. The banking you run thru is the larger radius of the two ends but still not going to limit you. The NASCAR trucks (and Busch cars a few years ago) shifted for the small end of the track.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/12/18 2:54 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

So you're saying I should take Thursday off as well..... Got it. Already put in. 

sleepyhead
4/12/18 6:47 p.m.
stafford1500 said:
sleepyhead said:

Gateway is a1.25 mile oval with a VERY flat infield section. You will not be topped out in 4th coming to the front straight. The banking you run thru is the larger radius of the two ends but still not going to limit you. The NASCAR trucks (and Busch cars a few years ago) shifted for the small end of the track.

Thanks for the details on that.  Although, I should probably be a bit more specific, and say that "I wonder if 4th is long enough that the available acceleration will be low enough that I'll be able to hold WOT through that corner {whereas the 'vette in the supplied video has to hold to 'maintenance throttle'}?"    i.e. TL;DR... "I wonder if the sonata is so slow that'll be WOT the whole way around the 'oval part' "?

sleepyhead
4/12/18 7:21 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

So you're saying I should take Thursday off as well..... Got it. Already put in. 

Uh, I'm going to try and do the bumpstops here... if I want any chance of getting some track time in the thing before OneLap.  As it sits now, I probably won't make it out to Indy until 6pm.  I'll have to coordinate with the sleepywife and sleepyparents if I want to get out there earlier.... which might be a good idea anyways.  Hmmm.

The engine/transmission is clean, and I don't see any seepage yet... although I think the car's only got 15miles on it.

Here's how it sits tonight:

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/13/18 9:44 a.m.

Typical H&R stance, ass high at a rest and unloaded, level in motion. 

Are those new tires I see in the garage?

stafford1500
4/13/18 9:59 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
stafford1500 said:
sleepyhead said:

Thanks for the details on that.  Although, I should probably be a bit more specific, and say that "I wonder if 4th is long enough that the available acceleration will be low enough that I'll be able to hold WOT through that corner {whereas the 'vette in the supplied video has to hold to 'maintenance throttle'}?"    i.e. TL;DR... "I wonder if the sonata is so slow that'll be WOT the whole way around the 'oval part' "?

You will likely be accelerating thru 3rd gear thru the banking in NASCAR 3-4. The exit for the infield is more than halfway down the back straight, so 2nd gear out of that corner and probably shift to 3rd at the entry of NASCAR 3. 

stafford1500
4/13/18 10:03 a.m.

Maybe give this a quick read, for any tracks you may not have driven before.

Track drive description

sleepyhead
4/13/18 4:22 p.m.

I should probably be doing a bunch of other things... but... racecar

Any input Steve? cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
4/13/18 4:51 p.m.

Just trying to separate flow coming off the back of the car? 

If you want to build a splitter I'll buy and drop ship you a rivnut installer and you can return it to me for One Lap. I need to get one and this would be a good excuse. 

sleepyhead
4/13/18 6:00 p.m.

I need to trim it up... the thought for it is along the lines of this...

or...

but, probably a bit longer with the ability to add/remove a gurney... maybe.  The point being to extend the trunk and help reattach the flow that separates off the back window... and make the car "seem" a bit longer, which helps lower drag.  The gurneys will help add a little bit of rear downforce, and there'll probably be a gap in the middle without gurney because the outsides will make the most downforce.

technically, yes the front splitter is more important... but I've got to do some juggling to get to that. The subframe already has nut-certs for the valence panels which I'm going to try and reuse.  But, a rivnut tool would be a bunch of help for the... uh, spoiler.  Once I figure out the best place to order rivnuts from cheeky

sleepyhead
4/13/18 6:25 p.m.

Sleepykid#1 gave me some help with the layout :

(also titled "hooray for $3000 cars!)

Then we moved to backup prep checks... i.e. do the kia/genius wheels fit the TL at all?

The 18x8's are close... but need a 10mm spacer and longer studs. I still need to check the Optima wheels on the back.

sleepyhead
4/13/18 9:33 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

Typical H&R stance, ass high at a rest and unloaded, level in motion. 

Are those new tires I see in the garage?

nope, OLoA 2016 vintage Dunlop Star Spec ZII's on 17x7 (iirc) 4x100 Motec wheels, one with a slight bend in the rim (that hasn't affected the bead-seat)... which I need to clean up and get up for sale on the board

mazdeuce - Seth
4/13/18 9:44 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

nope, OLoA 2016 vintage Dunlop Star Spec ZII's on 17x7 (iirc) 4x100 Motec wheels, one with a slight bend in the rim (that hasn't affected the bead-seat)... 

I still feel bad about that. sad

sleepyhead
4/13/18 10:24 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

in the scheme of things... that taco is salsa under the bridge

btw, I've got a VA plate for that car if you want

sleepyhead
4/14/18 10:28 a.m.

I think I either need to work on my masking skills...

Or buy a bunch of 3m stock?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/14/18 10:39 a.m.

I've used black Plasti-dip in the same location on a Taurus and it worked wonderfully.  

sleepyhead
4/14/18 11:55 a.m.

I've got a bunch of satin black from the wheels... hopefully it blends well enough.  If so, at some point I'll hit the driver's wiper {arm} too

sleepyhead
4/15/18 2:20 p.m.

This is where I'm at so far today...

Also, my phone is E36M3'ing the bed when shooting with flash sad

sleepyhead
4/15/18 3:02 p.m.

so, a question about order of operations...

anti-roll bar, remove brake line bracket, loose up the clamp at the bottom of the shock, big bottom bolt in the LCA, then the 3 cowl-mount bolts?  

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wHX9wmg6coX6qyn3sTGtAuK83hs6RjWIrWdAIEHPM48ZgEwPchcNeNr0KW1PNVjk