1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30
Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/23/18 10:26 a.m.

damn, that was fast. 

EDIT: Do I need to get 2 new tires for the trailer "just in case"? 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/18 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

I should note, those are the old OEM springs, from the shop.  The top mounts are from Advance.

re:trailer... uh, I dunno

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/23/18 11:15 a.m.

So yes. I'll get them in the coming week, just in case. A little insurance for smooth sailing. Are you just going to change the fronts or both front and rear back to stock?

sleepyhead
4/23/18 11:35 a.m.

I'm going to start with the fronts, and see how it looks/drives

re:trailer
If the car's going to need a trailer... I might just limp it to the closest dealer, and buy something that we take across the pond, and use that to finish out the trip in as "exhibition"

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/23/18 11:43 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

well fine. See what happens when I try and be proactive! lol

sleepyhead
4/23/18 12:04 p.m.

Sorry, I was putting out like four fires at the same time right now.

One being I completely misunderstood a part of a message a I got from John... I talked to Brocker about it... which snowballed just a tinsy bit.  Also, my packing tape apparently packed it in.  Sleepykid#1 was being ornery, and Sleepykid#2 needed a diaper change.

End Result:
So, now there's a pretty good chance we're going to be seeded behind the Prius... and I owe Brocker at least 1 beverage in South Bend.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/23/18 12:17 p.m.

Note to myself... Sarcasm does not translate well to the written word, especially in times of heightened emotions.  

Sorry for any grief I may have caused.  

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/23/18 1:00 p.m.

Damnit John! Stop causing problems. I have a problem with that too. I like to be sarcastic and all but it doesn't come through well in text form. 

sleepyhead
4/23/18 2:56 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

So if that's really him, and he really shows up, what are the chances that it's just a nice low key operation. cheeky

so, it sounds like it really is, and a big tire company is footing the bill.  so, probably not?

sleepyhead
4/23/18 2:57 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

Damnit John! Stop causing problems. I have a problem with that too. I like to be sarcastic and all but it doesn't come through well in text form. 

I seriously need to remember to take my self less seriously

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/23/18 3:00 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Don't worry, I take you plenty less serious enough for both of us. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/23/18 3:27 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Falken has done  a pretty good job in the past of pulling the semi up, dropping the drivers off, and just being normal. 

Pastrana is a little different though. He has enough star appeal to draw actual fans to come meet him, maybe. 

I do believe that getting the Hyundai up and running is of the utmost importance though. 

sleepyhead
4/23/18 4:41 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I think getting a bunch of sleep, and upshifting my brain from 2nd to 5th is of even more importance before tackling the tophat and spring swap.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/23/18 5:05 p.m.

The tophat failure is.. odd.

Why were you shortening the bumpstops again? Less bumptstop + blown tophat seems more than coincidental to me. Seems like you'd want to go the opposite direction. But maybe I missed something.

Edit:

Sleepy, I'm local and I'm pretty sure irish44j would come help too if you'd like to schedule some extra wrenchpower..

sleepyhead
4/23/18 6:34 p.m.
bluej said:

The tophat failure is.. odd.

Why were you shortening the bumpstops again? Less bumptstop + blown tophat seems more than coincidental to me. Seems like you'd want to go the opposite direction. But maybe I missed something.

Edit:

Sleepy, I'm local and I'm pretty sure irish44j would come help too if you'd like to schedule some extra wrenchpower..

"Let me explain.  No, there is too much.  Let me sum up..."

The car (2006 Sonata {double wishbone}) is recently lowered on H&R's w/ "OE/B4 Bilstein" front shocks by I shop that I trust... and it's been unhappy since then.  I pulled the strut/spring assembly thinking the bumpstops were creating the "crashing feel" over road imperfections, and bought some extras to cut ahead of time so I'd be able to swap back if I needed... only to find 0 bumpstops.  The top mounts were worn... but this is my first time messing with this stuff... so I cobbled it back together with a "best guess" based on this video (which is also how I figured out I was missing bumpstops).  It's possible there were no bumpstops in the car before I took it in for the work.

The bumpstops softened the "crashing over road imperfections" some, so I took it to Dominion for a shakedown, and subsequent failure.

Before the Bilstein's, there was a certain "underdamped" quality to the ride over driveway end drops, and speedbumps.

Let me talk to sleepywife before commenting on your offer.

sleepyhead
4/24/18 7:22 a.m.

One step forward...

One step backwards...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/18 8:33 a.m.

Oh, the frustration... 

sleepyhead
4/24/18 9:02 a.m.

honestly, right now... if I've got to replace 1, I should probably replace 10

if I'm going to do that... I might should just do that to the TL... which will allow me to drop spacers on it, and run the Genesis wheels on the front.

then do the Koni STR's while I'm in there

sleepyhead
4/24/18 10:51 a.m.

... a-a-a-a-nd, the TL is "VA safety inspected"

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/24/18 12:23 p.m.

<———— sad (but realistic) face. Well, at least we can use Korean wheels! Right?

sleepyhead
4/24/18 1:13 p.m.

With studs, centering rings and spacers... yes, I think so.  I think we'll bring one of the 17" MSW's as a spare.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/24/18 3:22 p.m.

Aren’t 3 studs enough for one trip?!?

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/24/18 3:31 p.m.

So a broken stud and you’re bailing on the Sonata?  It seems like it is 10 ARP wheel studs, 4 cut stock springs,  and an alignment from being ready, and you have a whole weekend to do it.  Instead of a half coil off of the stock springs, how about some of those rubber spring spacers in the lowering springs for more travel? 

I personally I’d rather take the TL as it is a better car, but after all the work/drama/talk on the Sonata, it feels like a shame to not take it over something so small.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/24/18 3:44 p.m.

My only concern is that you've got two puppies who are going to show up in South Bend wanting to do the whole week. You've seen enough people mechanical out, you've done it yourself. What's the best way for the three of you to complete the week? 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/24/18 3:50 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Seriously... I'm OK with a mechanical if that happens. Would it suck? sure, but it's part of the experience. BUT.... like bringing the truck home from Tucson we were on edge for 2.5 days waiting for something to fall off, break, leave us stranded etc. That was extremely stressful and tiring. 14 hours of driving a day waiting for the vehicle to implode.... it's exhausting. I get why he's going the backup route and respect it. Mostly, I'm thankful that he's looking out for all 3 of us with the move. 

Now.... is the resident Hyundai humper sad that he's not going to be part of the first Hyundai one lap car(this year)? Absolutely. Is it going to taint my experience or make me want out? Oh god no. Even if it is in an overpriced Honda. wink

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x6JcDkuiSnmjxe7Nk5k0LEhrlNj9CqKCzNGF2hlA71CjmQlkXA4G0gggszzYGRM8