In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

thanks, I needed that

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/24/18 4:07 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

You said taint. laugh

its how I feel when I get out of hondas! I feel tainted!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/18 4:14 p.m.
Sonic said:

So a broken stud and you’re bailing on the Sonata?  It seems like it is 10 ARP wheel studs, 4 cut stock springs,  and an alignment from being ready, and you have a whole weekend to do it.  Instead of a half coil off of the stock springs, how about some of those rubber spring spacers in the lowering springs for more travel? 

I personally I’d rather take the TL as it is a better car, but after all the work/drama/talk on the Sonata, it feels like a shame to not take it over something so small.  

I get how this looks, and I think that's part of what's eaten me up inside since Sunday.  And it's odd to say, but it's a momentum thing.  I'm not turning the corner on the car, and the problems aren't sure to be resolved with those things... and there's a good chance the oil leak is going to pop up again, or the transmission is going to decide it's not up to the challenge.  There's door lock that's sticking a bit.  I haven't gotten around to blanking off the radio.

All weekend to get this done?  Maybe... but it's probably going to be more like 6hours... 10 if I'm lucky.  I've got a lot on my plate I'm not discussing on the forum, and the moving truck shows up the middle of July.

If that weren't the case, it'd be a lot easier to back off and put another year into building the thing... I've got some ideas about adapting the "shock upright" (link?) to take a "generic coilover"... and I'm wondering if the upright to upper arm link needs shortening... or something.

Drop down after OneLap, and I'll sign the title over to you for $1k, and you can prove me wrong.

sleepyhead
4/25/18 10:11 a.m.

Got rubber?

(Also a sleeping sleepykid#2)

sleepyhead
4/25/18 10:19 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Now.... is the resident Hyundai humper sad that he's not going to be part of the first Hyundai one lap car(this year)? Absolutely. Is it going to taint my experience or make me want out? Oh god no. Even if it is in an overpriced Honda. wink

I'll have to check msrp... but, I had the thought after reading this, that 3.8 Genesis coupes are coming down in price to make a viable/interesting SSGT2 Big Bore entry for someone.  Probably not me... at least for a while... but somebody.

Edited to change "Small Bore" to "Big Bore" because that's how it's going

sleepyhead
4/25/18 1:04 p.m.

studs and spacers got ordered this morning before sleepykid#1's school delivery.  I got some "slip on" spacers, and some "spacer with studs" spacers, in part because I wasn't sure how big the depressions in the Genesis wheels' hub were, and the 15mm spacer insisted on >14mm.  Fortunately, the Genesis has 24mm.  Optima wheels have 9mm... so, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Other thing of note:
17x8" OEM TL wheel with used front 235/45R17 Conti ExtremeSport  = 45#s

18x8" Genesis wheel with new front 245/40R18 Conti ExtremeSport = 50#s
18x7.5 Kia Optima whl with new rear 225/45R18 Conti ExtremeSport = 43#s

so, I've picked up 6#s with the change.  I think I can live with that.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/25/18 1:31 p.m.

well, I've lost 13# so we're at a net positive.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/25/18 2:27 p.m.

Back in business! Is it time to pack yet? 

sleepyhead
4/25/18 6:00 p.m.

grr... so, log onto amazon to check the centering rings... and they say they'll arrive May 8th.

anyone got a better source that'll do overnight shipping?

I need to go from 67.1mm to 64.1mm

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/25/18 6:02 p.m.

discount tire? Tirerack? I got my last ones from the tirerack. 

sleepyhead
4/25/18 6:08 p.m.

used the tirerack chat thing, and they claimed they "don't carry those"

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/25/18 6:16 p.m.

They aren't needed.  Just gradually tighten two of the lugs to get the wheels centered, then tighten the other two/three/four/six. 

In years of crapcan racing we have never used hubcentric wheels. That's something close to 40,000 track miles on our cars.  No issues.  The hub center only really is for lining it up to bolt it on, the clamping load of the studs is what holds it together. 

sleepyhead
4/25/18 6:23 p.m.
Sonic said:

They aren't needed.  Just gradually tighten two of the lugs to get the wheels centered, then tighten the other two/three/four/six. 

In years of crapcan racing we have never used hubcentric wheels. That's something close to 40,000 track miles on our cars.  No issues.  The hub center only really is for lining it up to bolt it on, the clamping load of the studs is what holds it together. 

sounds good to me, I'll take 40k of track experience

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/25/18 6:27 p.m.

I used them in the wife’s accent years ago. But nothing else has ever had them. Only had a single track day with aftermarket wheels. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/25/18 7:49 p.m.

Aluminum, shipped to arrive by Friday  $9.99

DONE.  While sitting here in a parking lot I found these and had them shipped to your house. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-Rings-Pack-Aluminum-Centerbore/dp/B00DIK47BC

sleepyhead
4/25/18 8:15 p.m.

so, I was chatting about this on Facebook... looks like I picked wrong with plastic on Amazon.

I'm not really a member... in fact, I've only had 2 orders with them between now and 2013 surprise

so, I lay blame at that... ignorance (?)

edit to make it explicit:  Thanks John!

sleepyhead
4/26/18 7:28 p.m.

I got about an hour and a half of work in today... but getting anything done in my house is usually first a big game where you have to move a bunch of blocks to get one block clear. So, that cuts down progress.

Nevertheless, Acura is in the air!

Since all the parts I need show up tomorrow, I worked on the trunk...

Optima spare in, the a matter of a quick cardboard template... some measuring...

Some ham-handed circular sawing, routing and sanding... and it fits!

Needs some more sanding and some paint. That'll help us pick up a bunch of space over last year.

sleepyhead
4/27/18 7:22 a.m.

so, apparently I was a little too liberal throwing wheels and tires around last night... the back is giving me the warning this morning to slow down and "ab it up"

man, 40 really is right around the corner surprisewink

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/27/18 8:01 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

50 has just entered my rear view mirror!  frown  Good luck with that.  

Amazon has informed me that your package is on the truck for delivery today via the mail man.

In 30 days I have sent more Amazon packages to your house than you have in 5 years, Ha 

sleepyhead
4/27/18 8:40 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

it's already doing a little better, just got to stay conscious of it.  might have to pack up one of the Optima wheels to take with me as an exercise equipment?

technically, you and Seth have managed that... with Seth doing it by accident

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/18 8:44 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

You said taint. laugh

dammit, beaten to the punch again!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/27/18 9:27 a.m.

My back is about the only thing not broken anymore. My biggest pain is the knees and shoulders. 

sleepyhead
4/27/18 10:09 a.m.

so, I was poking around the front end of the car, trying to figure out brake ducting... and noticed that one side does not match the other, anymore...

for those keeping track, these are about 9" long, and raise up 4.5" from horizontal

edit: also, the Optima on the rear using the "tighten up slowly" method gives me 9.25 turns to 90ft.lbs

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/27/18 10:22 a.m.

IIRC, that lower portion was part of the actual fender liner. The whole liner is about $40 locally.

EDIT: I have a friend checking it out for me from my former employer.

EDIT 2: I can pick it up in the morning and we can install it Thursday.

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SgjA5Ybk46Je6BOfoxI0jITRgckOs6OvxIE5QARDMBc45JOlgennf3OK3x7HXpD6