Fuelrush
Fuelrush New Reader
11/4/17 10:49 a.m.

I have a 16' Chevy 3500 Diesel Dually. I have an opportunity to buy a 06 Polimino Winter Creek 915 RS slide in camper on the cheap. Like $6,000. It's pretty big (full bath with slide out) Is it possible to pull an enclosed trailer. I've seen all the extended tow bars etc. I have a Exige and an Exocet I would be towing. I'd like to have a trailer for both. Or just one and a golf cart. Is this doable and if it is would you really want to? I've considered building out a car hauler trailer or gooseneck that has a camping quarters. What's the better option? The slide in is nice cause I could use it for other camping areas other than the track. Again maybe my question is would you really want to go this route.

What are you guys doing to camp/shower at the track with your own facilities. I can't do these huge pricey rigs. Thanks!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
11/4/17 10:59 a.m.

A '16 Chevy dually 3500 is a huge pricey rig in my world so this is above my pay gradewink

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
11/4/17 10:59 a.m.

I have a 9’ slide in camper and tow pretty heavy with it on my truck sometimes. I have the Torklift Superhitch  receiver and extension. Serious piece that is the ticket for this. Many times I have done family vacations where I have the slide-in on my truck and haul an RV camp trailer for someone. It works great because most of the weight is still the truck/camper combo, not trailer, so no tail wagging the dog. Super stable. I hope to do an enclosed trailer someday for the race car but for now I am just living with an open trailer. Jcamper

Fuelrush
Fuelrush New Reader
11/4/17 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Haha, the dually is a long story and mostly an accident lol!

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
11/4/17 12:29 p.m.

It's absolutely possible especially with something called a trailer toad.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1011rv-trailer-toad-extreme-towing/

Rodan
Rodan Reader
11/4/17 11:37 p.m.

We've been doing the camper + enclosed trailer for a couple of years. 

I researched a bunch of options, with the primary goal of being able to transport a car in an enclosed trailer, and also having living quarters.  Didn't want a motorhome (extra registration/insurance/maintenance) when I already have a pickup.  Most 5th wheel 'toy haulers' aren't rated high enough even for a Miata, and have high ride heights making for steep ramps.  Gooseneck race haulers with living quarters are pricey, and looong... 

We ended up with a Lance 981, and a 24' enclosed trailer.  The Lance has a slide, and while heavy, provides plenty of living space for our use.  I went long on the trailer, so I could load a motorcycle in front of the car, while still having room for a workbench.  It's worked very well for us.

DSC_9813 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

We've taken several trips where we just hit an RV park and use that as a base camp for a few days, and unload the car to enjoy ourselves.  Utah, the Black Hills, etc.  We've also used it to trave to motorsports events... the only problem is we can only haul one car.  In the rare cases we take two, my wife has to follow in the other car.

DSC_0645 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

IMHO, a full ton dually is just about required.  Anything less, and you'll be tapped out unless you have a very small camper.  The Torklift Superhitch and Supertruss are about the only way to carry any significant tongue weight with an extention, which again will be a requirement unless it's a small camper.  I've also used the Torklift Stableloads with great success.  A Hellwig Big Wig sway bar is also a good investment.  Don't believe the brochure weights for a camper.  Make sure you're getting an actual weight as equipped.  Our camper is significantly heavier than the brochure weight.

We started having some engine issues with our first dually last summer and upgraded to a newer truck.  Big investment, but the improvements in suspension, power and transmissions make for effortless driving compared to the old rig.

MRLSTruck2 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

The 'trailer toad' may help you get away with a non-dually, but honestly, I wouldn't haul our camper without a dually.  Much less tow something behind.  Interestingly, a friend of mine 'invented' the trailer toad.  They're pretty cool, but not cheap!

All in all, IMHO the camper + trailer is the most flexible combo out there.  You have a truck for truck stuff, and can haul just the trailer for local events.  Throw on the camper for further events where you want to stay at the track, or for vacations.  Getting out to the boonies for some hiking... just take the truck/camper. 

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
11/5/17 4:42 p.m.

My camper is a wet bath with no slide outs so comes in right at 3k pounds loaded (‘99 Fleetwood Elkhorn). Makes my single rear wheel truck doable. Truck came with the camper package (overload springs and rear sway bar). I have adjustable Rancho shocks on it so I can put 80 psi in the tires and crank up the shocks for camper use, then soften everything up when unloaded so it does a great job doing double duty. Slide in campers are so great for vacations, camping, storage. 

At the track it is nice having the camper parked in front of the race car and everything is right there. 

My ultimate camper would be a northern lite; well made and even lighter. Same size and layout would be great. Jcamper

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A4C37fBgMFeT8m9Ng1iE02skhHIujuQ0VZZ4gMMAys6q1V6yt6yeKyrJ8eYUPRlp