kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/5/22 11:25 p.m.

Love the body english and manually pumping the oil. I think cornering in one of those must be very special.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/5/22 11:28 p.m.

I've always  thought those would be so fun to drive.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/6/22 1:24 a.m.

Correction: a comment in the video said:

That's the air pump. Methanol is fed to the carbs by air pressure displacing the fuel out of the tank. I pressurise the tank using that air pump - generally trying to maintain 1-2PSI. Anymore than that and the fuel tank wants to split! In my next race that day, the fuel pressure gauge failed and was happily spraying fuel over my leg whilst I pumped.

Also, it was noted that the throttle stuck and he was switching ignition on and off. I don't care how slow he's going, it looks like an absolute blast, so much driver involvement.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/6/22 7:47 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

I doubt he's pumping oil. Most of those hand pumps are to pressurize  the fuel tank. (No fuel pump due to using motorcycle engines which are gravity fed) 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/6/22 1:07 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You got it. The driver said that in the comments. Also in the description he says the gauge broke, which is mechanical, so that pressure leaked on to his leg.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/6/22 5:04 p.m.

Great video! I'll have to watch the whole thing, when I can. 
For the short bit I did, I was watching the driver, so I missed a lot. Is that 4 wheel versions, and 3 wheelers in the same race? Would love more info on the tadpoles, as I plan to use one as a commuter one day. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/6/22 5:49 p.m.

There's only one thing that could make the experience better: rain!

This was his next race:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/6/22 6:00 p.m.

How much HP does one of those make?  Cause you can get a vacuum operated fuel pump for pretty cheap.  

Gives me the same feel as a cycle-cart

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/6/22 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The class rules must forbid such a modernization. This is in the "prior to 1930" run group. He probably gets about 60 BHP at about 4000 RPM on methanol along with good torque from under 800 RPM. Given the low weight and low CG it should run close to the front.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/6/22 9:43 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That looks like a J.A.P.  Nope, not a Racial slur. It stands for J.A.Prestwich  it's a motorcycle engine. That typically ran on Alcohol because back then it was half the price of Gasoline. 
  Class  rules don't forbid such modernization. In that group originality is paramount.   It's pride that prevents updates and modernization.    

Bentley is the same way. They take great pleasure in originality even if there is only the faintest hint of original paint  they leave it as a badge of honor. 
   Patina is sadly abused, occasionally faked  but real patina, real originality is more important than speed. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rFCHSjGdwmfscFrFGP7q3mIBeduMMOIYkMOI8mqf8wvQiwHguakQULArTK9PUAhG