Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
4/26/21 6:25 p.m.

Hey guys and gals, 

My newest bad decision (Mitsubishi Chariot) has a bit of a wonky power mirror switch. I finally got up the gumption to take the switch apart and it looks like the inside of a calculator or TV remote. It has small S shaped contacts that the rubber membrane part of the button pushes on completing the circuit. I'm assuming that the rubber membrane has carbon on it or something to complete the circuit. I've attempted to clean things up with an eraser, but it seems things are only getting worse. 

This is what it looks like 

What do I do to fix this? So far my efforts seem to be making it worse. ​​​​​

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
4/26/21 10:08 p.m.

Anyone? 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/26/21 10:47 p.m.

Well, they do make electrical contact cleaner (in an aerosol can).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/26/21 10:49 p.m.

Caig brand Deoxit is a good product for dirty contacts: https://caig.com

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/21 11:13 p.m.

From my experience getting old NES game cartridges to work, I'd start with alcohol on a q-tip.   Rub it like you're polishing the brass (which, you kind of are)

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/27/21 12:57 a.m.

I believe the contact material is on the other side of the rubber cones, which are essentially acting as springs.  Should be black carbon if they are like the ones I have seen.

I have had success using an eraser (white ones seem to be less 'sticky' than the pink ones) on the grid areas of circuit board, then wiping lightly with denatured alcohol.  

I cleaned the carbon contacts on the rubber by getting a piece of cotton jersey material and stretching over a smooth piece of wood.  Soak the material with a little denatured alcohol, put the contacts on the material, then lightly and evenly compress the rubber backing and rub in a circular pattern for 15 - 20 sec.  The material is slightly abrasive and seems to clean the carbon contacts without (hopefully) destroying them.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 6:58 a.m.

Pencil eraser. 

Do not rub too hard. 

The backside of a piece of wet-dry sandpaper also works well. It is mildly abrasive. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 9:02 a.m.

DeOxit is wonderful stuff.  Easily worth the money.

Pencil erasers work well too, but depending on the composition of the rubber it can leave smeary rubber on things.  Best to clean it with a solvent after.

car39
car39 Dork
4/27/21 10:09 a.m.

Search Amazon for a Fiberglass brush.  Used to clean electrical contacts, works very well

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
4/27/21 3:53 p.m.

Okay, so I've tried most of the things you guys have mentioned, but it only seems to be getting worse.. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 5:26 p.m.

Sounds like the carbon impregnation in the silicone is going bye-bye.

So, my very tedious and questionable suggestion... world's tiniest brass grommets?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/27/21 6:58 p.m.

What year?  Any chance of finding a new one?  ebay?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
4/27/21 8:25 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

95. I don't know. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 8:45 p.m.

So, just on a whim, I searched repairing rubber membrane buttons. Looks like you need some of this. It's supposed to restore the conductivity of the rubber membrane buttons. Linky.

I also found replacement pads on Ebay. Linky

Image 1 - 100x Keypad Repair Kit Remote Control Conductive Rubber Buttons pads,1.5mm~10mm

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
4/27/21 9:21 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

So, just on a whim, I searched repairing rubber membrane buttons. Looks like you need some of this. It's supposed to restore the conductivity of the rubber membrane buttons. Linky.

I also found replacement pads on Ebay. Linky

Image 1 - 100x Keypad Repair Kit Remote Control Conductive Rubber Buttons pads,1.5mm~10mm

You're the man!!! 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
4/28/21 6:11 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I have found a few new ones available online, but they're $86 plus shipping. I'm not sure if want to pay that much, but I might. I think I'm going to keep messing with it and see if I can get some functionality out of it before paying that much for a new one. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0AnAGpUKoBOqgFkh1v6EoBq9bVhT2QXK68enWq5ALu6GD0jeay8QsRXZU0vDGaA