1 2
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/5/17 1:18 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to Knurled: 1.8 vs 2.5 = sound fast vs be fast. No replacement for displacement is still true

That's how i see it. A stock K8 MX3 is not fast. An MX3 with a stock KL swap is fast! The headflow of the two engines is good enough to rev the larger engine past 7k and still make power. What that means is that the smaller engine has no real benefit unless someone can prove that it is happy well past 8k, maybe 9k rpm, and so far the anecdotal evidence is that it's not.

Generally speaking, there comes a point when you have very good headflow where increasing displacement is a cheaper and more reliable way of increasing power than upgrading the valvetrain and reciprocating assembly for very high rpms. I think the K8 vs KL is a good example of this in a stock engine. When the bigger displacement engine still wants to go to 7k rpm before you even modify it, you do NOT need to make it smaller and doing so anyway will be a hard, expensive road playing catch up to a 2.5 with less money in it.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/17 1:46 p.m.

If I ever pursue a K8 MX-3 build (and it is indeed something I have thought about many times) it would be because the engine is already there and all the meaningful mods would swap over to a KL anyway. If you Megasquirt a K8 MX-3, add a square port intake and tubular exhaust manifolds, then upgrade the oil pump, you have pretty much built one as far as it can go without $$$ internal work, and can swap all that stuff over to any KL when the K8 lets go.

That being said unless it was free there isn't much of a reason to start with a K8 over a KL. As Vigo noted, more displacement is a much easier solution to making those big ports work than revving to 9k.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
2/5/17 1:56 p.m.

I have a K8 that I got free (from Swank F. O.), but I don't know what I'm going to do with it. Right now I'm using it as a stand-in on my extremely slow-moving KL-into-2nd-generation-626 project.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/17 2:09 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

A pair of tiny turbos would be needed, there are billet compressor wheel options for k03s, 14t and td05 turbos these days, all of which are extremely cheap and plentiful.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/17 2:20 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

La la la la la la. I can not here you.... . . ...

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/5/17 2:50 p.m.

Subbed for possible future thoughts....

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/6/17 5:38 a.m.

Get two and hook them together end-to-end and make a 3.6L V12

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/6/17 7:28 a.m.

1.0 ecoboost turbos could be the right size, just need two.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/17 11:42 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

I thought the 1L had the turbo integrated into the manifold

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/6/17 9:24 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

You might be right. I was doing that "assuming" thing.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
2/7/17 9:44 a.m.

I believe there are several single turbo exhaust manifold sets available for the KL, which I ASSUME would fit on the K8.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
huzVdNlDvoyjKJsmvaeBt0Y5Td6MqiKN3nHR5bONSAH8wpdJlOCnRZLQSqQyH5h6