1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/2/21 3:38 p.m.

I'm where Pete & Keith are on batteries; I'll put up with the extra weight just to be sure I don't get caught out.

I use a lawn tractor battery (UR1 17lbs) in the F500 & a Group 51 (Civic 24lbs) in the Datsun.  I could save 20lbs in the Datsun but if the car fails to fire on grid, it suddenly isn't worth it. I've missed getting all my runs in the F500 due to a flat battery.....never again.

I'd be more concerned with the battery location then saving 15-20lbs.  

chaparral
chaparral Dork
8/3/21 9:09 a.m.

Little Yuasa 7 amp*hour AGM motorcycle battery, mounted so that the positive terminal is less than 6" from the starter solenoid terminal and the negative terminal is less than 6" from ground, join both with 4-gauge wire, then the rest of the connections from there to the chassis and fusebox can be light duty. Get rid of your voltage drop and you'll have plenty of power to turn over the engine. 

Will
Will UberDork
8/3/21 8:21 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Will :

More info please. My Challenge car will be LM4 V8 powered and I'd like the lightest battery possible ( on a Challenge budget...laugh)

I think the actual battery I had has been discontinued (and I sold the car, so I just can't go look at it and give you a model number), but here are some of their current offerings: https://www.batterytender.com/batteries/power-sport-lithium-batteries. 

Worked great for me, but it only gets so cold in Tennessee. Wouldn't work in Montana.

As stated earlier, if you do use a trickle charger/maintainer, get one for lithium batteries. Maintainers for AGM or lead acid batteries will either kill a lithium battery or vice versa eventually.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/4/21 7:28 a.m.

I have been very happy with the Deka ETX AGM line.  I tried a smaller one initially and it wasn't enough juice so stepped up to the EXT16 which is 310-325 depending on brand and 13-17lbs.  It is trustworthy on the street in broad temps without sitting on a tender all the time.

For me the AGM motorcycle style is a significant weight loss ~50lbs and decently cheap price ~$50 shipped I have been happy.  I did need to get brass terminal adapters that were cheap off amazon, but otherwise easy.

Deka (rebranded Braile on a budget)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VB8nKlRKshUu67oPlGzr9Jb644McKFEijcu7YfQ3Y06EKylnyIyApowD6MdFXOOD