Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/10/22 1:04 p.m.
feature_image

Our Porsche 997 had been cleaned, looked over and fitted with fresh Bridgestones. It was now ready for its first event.

And that event would not be a quick cars and coffee or autocross but rather our own Orange Blossom Tour, a behind-the-scenes trip through Old Florida. These tours don’t have an age restriction on the cars …

Read the rest of the story

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/22 1:24 p.m.

Taking a new purchase on a long road trip is a fantastic idea IMHO. Did that with the S2k I picked up in Florida and drove home to WV.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/22 1:38 p.m.

I've done it and loved it. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/10/22 2:06 p.m.

Not sure if I'd be too nervous to do it now, but I did pick up my 911 in Chicago and then drove it back to Florida. Made a few stops along the way. (Saw Carl, always a tread.)

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/22 10:30 p.m.

Yes it is a great car.  Sadly I've come the realization I never drive my Porsche's enough.  I prefer messing with junk and driving what I've fixed.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/11/22 12:40 p.m.

Some day, I want to do a fly and drive to pick up a new car.

I think it sounds like the perfect vacation.

te72
te72 Reader
3/11/22 11:55 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Did this with a 1984 Supra P-type back in 2008. Friend of mine calls me and asks if I know anyone who would be interested in a 6M swapped P-type for $1000, and I jumped on that in a hurry. Bought a one way ticket to Phoenx, loaded up my tool bag, and phoned in an order to freshen up the cooling system to the closest parts store.

Stayed at a friend's house for a few days while trying to sort it out. Ended up needing a new radiator, but by that point I'd already gone through every other part of the cooling system. A bit over budget, but that car served me well for about 5 years. Sooooo slow at altitude though.

Always did think it a bit strange that they wouldn't let me bring a small bottle of shampoo with me, but a bag full of hammers is perfectly ok...

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
3/12/22 11:54 a.m.

Did you loose your sense of adventure?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/12/22 8:12 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I think I've done 5 fly and drives (well, one was a train and drive). Never had an issue, always had a blast. The funny thing is, these have always been cheap cars, two of them were under, one was WELL under, challenge price. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/22 12:12 p.m.

I've done two cross-country retrievals: Porsche 944 and Honda S2000. 

The Honda was brand-new, so no car issues although I had bad weather for the first half of the trip–like, road-disappearing-in-sand bad. 

The 944 trip was painless, too. Picked it up in Vegas and drove it to here in Florida. I think that one took place before cell phones. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
txhUL4uwib5xkoRHoQomcFLPDdyWN37Otw4HaLUMdjIB2itwe6wKKeBfnsXPRZB5