1 2 3 4 5
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/20/17 10:09 a.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

Very appropriate screen name. Perhaps you could express your opinion with a tad more tact....or follow you own advice in another thread to not post comments.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/20/17 10:11 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Have them contact me. Can't do cash, but The Mumpkin needs a new home.

I approve this message!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/20/17 10:17 a.m.

TeamEvil spelled backwards is Live Meat.

Hmmm....

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/20/17 10:20 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Now that's funny right there!!!

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/20/17 10:27 a.m.

Think I remember something about "Best finish for a College Team" Then I still got to go with the Local Trade School. Go Tech! Oh and that'd Be Georgia, not Texas

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/20/17 12:34 p.m.

If it ends with a bunch of young people enjoying motorsports, then it's ended the way I'm hoping. Anything beyond that is gravy for me.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/20/17 12:35 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

And then what? You gonna give us a great big "I told you so"??

I don't think you are listening. It makes no difference whether you are right or wrong. The comments are inappropriate and not cool.

In other words, don't be a dick.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/17 12:58 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: If it ends with a bunch of young people enjoying motorsports, then it's ended the way I'm hoping. Anything beyond that is gravy for me.

if it ends up with some potential employees coming to Detroit, too, that would be gravy for some of us.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/20/17 1:09 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: If it ends with a bunch of young people enjoying motorsports, then it's ended the way I'm hoping. Anything beyond that is gravy for me.
if it ends up with some potential employees coming to Detroit, too, that would be gravy for some of us.

Totally.

RoadAndSlack
RoadAndSlack New Reader
6/20/17 1:18 p.m.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/20/17 1:49 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: "The comments are inappropriate and not cool." You wanna be a cheerleader, go ahead, good for you, but if my comments are prophetic, then . . . an "I told you so !" will certainly be coming. After this amount of grief, count on it. If I'm wrong here, an apology will be coming along as well ! ! ! ! You can hope, but I'm doubting it. Just saying, we'll see how this plays out.

Are you really that berkleying clueless? You really don't get it? But then again, I'm just a "chimp"...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/20/17 1:56 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: "The comments are inappropriate and not cool." You wanna be a cheerleader, go ahead, good for you, but if my comments are prophetic, then . . . an "I told you so !" will certainly be coming. After this amount of grief, count on it. If I'm wrong here, an apology will be coming along as well ! ! ! ! You can hope, but I'm doubting it. Just saying, we'll see how this plays out.

I just went and re-read your post to see what you were warning us about. I still don't understand what dire consequences you are predicting. It seems to me that in the worst case the Challenge, and gathering of the funding, is being used as a resume builder for a group of young women who might each be able to fund the entire project with their pocket change. Even if that is 100% completely true I don't understand the problem. Some people build challenge cars because they can't afford to do it any other way, some build them to challenge themselves to function in a budget constrained world they are unaccustomed to. If a few bucks here or there help the future entrepreneurs of the world get exposed to a Challenge oriented mindset then I am all for it.

Am I missing something?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/20/17 2:02 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

I don't think you are the one that is missing something....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/17 2:13 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

The only "dire warning" that is really applicable here- the possibility that they take the money from the Kickstarter and disappear.

And the only real bad result is if they actually disappear.

If they start making a car, and run out of steam, I think that's ok- this isn't an easy thing to do.

If they make a car, but can't make it to Florida- that's ok- it's still work.

If they make a car, get to Florida, but it completely fails, that's ok- it's happened a lot.

I can go on, but there only one actually bad result of what these students are doing.

Oh, and the engineering school is TINY. While they may get mega yacht's of money for the school- I'd wager a bet that this project will not get much- unless it's part of a project to get a degree. It may be, but since no OEM's are down in Gainesville recruiting, I seriously doubt that it is- so this is a "for fun" project.

I can put it another way- Michigan has a massive engineering school. A Challenge car would be a drop in the bucket relative the FSAE, F-Hybrid, Solar car, etc. But I doubt the school would be interested in supporting the project.

So to review- there's only one actually bad outcome. And for most, it's not really that bad.

If there's an issue with them being a certain kind of school- big deal. I don't like the leaders of many private schools out there. But if they are interested in cars, and possibly going into some kind of automotive job- I'm 100% fine with that.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/20/17 2:14 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: You wanna be a cheerleader, go ahead...

Yes, yes I do. In a sport that is suffering from dwindling new attendees, for whatever reason, a TEAM of young people looking to enter it is a GREAT THING. I will do whatever it takes to cheerlead for them. Stop being an A$$h0|3. "Wah wah the rich kids were mean to me" is not an appropriate defense for being a douchenozzle to a team of students. go eff yourself.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/17 2:42 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Just pop this in the memory bank, this is'lt gonna end the way that you're hoping. Get back to me later . . .

As a former Georgia Tech college team member, I can tell you things NEVER ended the way we hoped. In fact, they usually turned out horribly! But we loved every bit of it and are better for those experiences. Just off the top of my head:

• First car-on-car contact at the Challenge. Yup.
  • Blowing the trans tailshaft seal and promptly closing a lane of the drags.
  • Catastrophic sub-frame separation, two years in a row, repaired by the welder that was supposed to be someone else's prize. Thanks, Miller!
  • Curious case of the fractured harmonic balancer and implementation of the Reese Rule.
  • Countless spun bearings.
  • Getting pulled over in the school's tow pig.
  • 4am night-before-Challenge emergency engine swap and road trip.
  • and many, countless late nights welding, machining, and grinding away in the shop when I should have been studying, dating, or drinking like a normal co-ed.

There is nothing wrong with a few college kids trying to fund their automotive passion while getting valuable experience. We did it, we failed a lot, and it was awesome. I wish more colleges did the Challenge, not only for more competition, but because I wish those incredible experiences could be had by others!

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
6/20/17 2:44 p.m.

OK then . . . you all don't see this in the way that I do.

No sweat, I'm gone, out of here !

It was fun for a spell—

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/17 2:46 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: OK then . . . you all don't see this in the way that I do. No sweat, I'm gone, out of here ! It was fun for a spell—

Great, imply sweeping accusations, with no indicators of what could go wrong, and leave.

If you plan on doing that again, just don't. It's a lot easier of everyone.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/20/17 2:48 p.m.

In reply to TeamEvil:

Quit while you're behind.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/20/17 3:21 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Smith College loans money to God ! They don't need donations from anyone here. Seriously . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Smith_College_people This isn't a college as much as a staging ground for world leaders. Look at the schools and the alumni of the schools in the North Hampton area—STAGGERING ! ! ! ! Just type "North Hampton, MA" in Google for a real education in privilege. The list of donating alumni is staggering. A handful of fifty dollar donations from a bunch of chimps won't even keep them in bottled water during their exhausting and strenuous build. I honestly suspect that the Go-Fund-Me Page is more for publicity, an attempt to appear human than an actual plea for donations. Those women live in rarified air, coming down to this level is all for show . . . this isn't real ! ! ! ! I know real racers who are women, I've helped work on their cars, what's going on here is nothing but a bid for good press for them and the college. Take your "donation" AND TREAT YOUR wife to dinner, you'll be better for it !

things like this are the reason why participation trophies exist. god forbid someone have nicer E36 M3 then you do.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/20/17 3:41 p.m.

If this guy is hacked off about Smith College fielding a team, please don't tell him we just got an entry from the Dr. Apocalypse Academy for the Study of the Dark Arts. I don't want to be responsible for his heart attack.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
6/20/17 4:30 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: Think I remember something about "Best finish for a College Team" Then I still got to go with the Local Trade School. Go Tech! Oh and that'd Be Georgia, not Texas

Wasn't Texas A&M second one year with a turbo 1.8 Miata?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
6/20/17 5:31 p.m.

As a Northampton resident I wish I resembled those remarks.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/20/17 5:37 p.m.
chaparral wrote:
GTXVette wrote: Think I remember something about "Best finish for a College Team" Then I still got to go with the Local Trade School. Go Tech! Oh and that'd Be Georgia, not Texas

Nope

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/20/17 5:49 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Nope

I thought Texas A&M finished 2nd in 2015.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6SAZUL0g9f4rwPttOGTLeQR0G57pFusRzFAOTyOH8UrGTRU88qVlSDN1TLB9FzO