1 ... 3 4 5
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/11/17 11:09 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: There's a few differences. One gives the 'donator' a tangible good. It's selling something versus simply asking for money. Selling goods at races and race tracks means the students have to learn how to approach the public, building communication skills and developes an enterprising spirit. A GFM page is a handful of clicks to set it up, and a mass e-mail with a link in the body. One teaches face-to-face communication, the other is a cyber hand-out. One builds character, the other doesn't seen to do that, in my opinion. I know times are changing, and this is part of it. Maybe that makes me an old cermudgeon, but I like to see folks work for what they want. My students got a LOT out of our fundraising efforts and they loved doing it. If I were doing it again, that's the road I'd go down.

On your first point- every Gofundme that I've seen, either giving or not giving money, had a tangible good that I got. I got a great cake, a wonderful dinner, and I see that this program has stuff that you get.

So for that point, a bake sale and this gofundme are identical.

The other point, I can see that. But one can argue that most of the modern economy is internet based, so if you can communicate your point well, perhaps you can sell your product over the internet. It seems that gofundme is easy, and no work. But how hard was it to go to Kroger, buy two cases of water for $5, and sell them for $1/bottle? That's not hard, either. The degree of work is very relative.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/11/17 2:30 p.m.

I like both Gofundme AND water bottles. The point is networking, not HOW you network.

I would also like to see some of them check into THIS thread. I keep coming back hoping one if them will participate in the conversation. None have.

There is no one more interested in their participation in the GRM Challenge then people on this forum.

It's too bad. It's another great networking opportunity. Like Gofundme and water bottles.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/11/17 2:58 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Ours is a little bit bigger, yes, but not nearly as pristine. We're good at making a mess, and we share the shop with FSAE, Baja SAE, Solar Car, Ecocar, and some others.

The difference is, we're funded by corporate sponsors, in addition to receiving funding from the school.

But it hasn't always been that way. We started out in a founding member's mom's garage. Took us a few years to convince the Powers That Be to care.

We're happy to see another college throwing their hat in the ring, and we're willing to help out however we can.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/11/17 3:27 p.m.

In reply to mck1117:

Thanks for chiming in, mck. I think the small engineering school at Smith has fewer than 25 students. You got to give them credit for tackling this.

If you know and if you can share, out of curiosity how much is your total budget received from corporate sponsors and the school? Must cost a fortune to send your big crew down to Gainesville for the challenge. You guys have 20+ people on your team. I always enjoy seeing Georgia Tech's entries. Keep up the good work!

FWIW Smith receives zero direct funding from their school.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/11/17 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

then someone really needs to Show them (The School) what is going on, Perhaps the school Alumni really thinks Girls Should be wives and Homemakers,ya know like before,but with an education, So's Da Man Child's can Grow up to be Productive.HA! Serious. I do not Feel that way. Heck My Mother Graduated from NorthWestern,Was A Hygenist and worked and raised 4, My Dad Graduated Air Force (WWII) and Played Golf.Lol

Ya Know Tejus hasn't Chimed in yet Either,

Oh and by the way

GO TECH!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/11/17 4:05 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

Considering Gloria Steinem, Gertrude Well, Blanche Ames and Betty Friedan are Smith grads, probably not a a school offering MRS degrees

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/11/17 5:12 p.m.

Oh Wait that was UGA

ghackenberg
ghackenberg New Reader
7/11/17 5:56 p.m.

The Smith team is happy to answer some of the questions that have come up in this thread about our school and our project! Smith College does receive big donations which allows for a fantastic quality of education as well as scholarships and financial aid for most students. For me, it was actually cheaper to go to Smith than my local state school! We are not receiving any funding from the school or the engineering department for this project. The engineering program has generously given us part time access to the machine shop, faculty advice and guidance, and they have offered us half of an outdoor loading dock as temporary "garage space" for the project. We don't have automotive tools. So we are fundraising for parts, tools, and transportation costs. I hope that clears up some of the concerns. If anyone has questions or comments for us, feel free to send us an email at smithcollegeracing@gmail.com. We look forward to meeting many of you at the track!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/11/17 7:50 p.m.

I'm in the minority here it appears.
What I've learned from this thread makes me want to go listen to a Mike Rowe podcast for some reason.....
to be clear, I'm glad the folks from Smith are throwing their hats in the ring, and I hope they have as much fun as I've had at the challenge.

And I hope I beat them. I say that the in the most good-natured way possible.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/11/17 8:12 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

At least you displayed tact and class in voicing your opinion.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/11/17 11:38 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to DrBoost: At least you displayed tact and class in voicing your opinion.

Thank you. I always try to do that, I don't always succeed

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/12/17 6:43 a.m.

And I am just Trying to be "Cute" and have some Fun, I get the Feeling I Miss my Mark.

I truely wish you Girls the Very Best, And offer any help I can.

Ya'll Call Snap-on I belive they Offer a Loaner Tool Program For Schools. Pretty sure they did where I went to A&P School and I do Know they Offer A Major Discount when We Bought tools to Go Into the Field.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/19 10:09 a.m.

Canoe

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/10/19 10:41 a.m.

Canoe deleted

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGCH0pxHApaZmj7xeXY0HR8HYp6N1XMmVQrHvf5S8hVy423epjK2CHxGDek0GBfm