1 ... 10 11 12 13 14
STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/19/17 9:44 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Hell, a Mustang hit a front porch and was headlining the news.

You got me... You'd think that people would be used to Mustangs hitting things by now. Maybe it was newsworthy because it showed a change in M-O for the Mustang. Previously, they'd been known to feed on crowds. The fact that it hit something besides a crowd could indicate that they also have an insatiable desire to destroy freestanding structures, and now, nobody is truly safe anytwhere.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/19/17 9:49 a.m.

We had a semi run into a house here and it knocked a complete corner off of it. The house was a vacant rental and nothing has been done other that yellow barrier tape and a half assed closing it in with plywood that doesn't stay up. The last tenant in the house used to park his tractor in the driveway and I thought at first he had come back and done it on purpose. But the driver of the truck that hit the house was dead. I think he had a heart attack and ran off the road. Yes it made the news, but probably more because of the fatality.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/19/17 11:40 a.m.

Another update: Current adjuster is no longer the current adjuster. He's been taken off our claim and a new one will be assigned most likely by the end of the day!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/17 3:37 p.m.

Hopefully he's being flogged before being tossed out by security.

I get mad for you whenever I read this thread!

Hopefully things finally start moving forward now!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/17 3:50 p.m.

Can I say that this is bordering on the absurd at this point.

BTW My offer still stands.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/19/17 5:24 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Thank you! I just reviewed what we discussed last week because I was this close to taking you up on your offer. Not saying I won't but the call-back we got from his boss was a good one.

We'll see if they can redeem themselves or not.

My posts do not reflect how pissed I am right now.

And thanks XLR99 et al!

It's baffling to hear that they never got any ~$40,000 estimate even though my original contractor came to that and he gave the figures to the adjuster.

I'll probably never figure out what happened this first go-round but I know the Liberty Mutual adjuster is responsible for most of it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/17 6:48 p.m.

I hope this has taken a turn for the better.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/19/17 7:15 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Mine was boring in comparison. But why does it seem every idiot who drives into a house makes the news but mine didn't even raise an eyebrow? Hell, a Mustang hit a front porch and was headlining the news.

If it makes you feel better a drunk 19 year old with a revoked license hit my uncle's house 2 months ago and it didn't make the news.

We wrote the estimate with all the "this is only for visible damages, things uncovered later subject to more $" language, and they had their check within a few weeks. I get to fix it when it gets warm because we're working with discontinued vinyl siding, and nothing breaks faster in Cleveland winters than discontinued vinyl siding, except maybe rusty brake lines.

Good luck we're pulling for you

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/19/17 7:41 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Well, getting a check "within a few weeks" makes me feel worse!

But I am grateful for all 12 pages of support!

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
1/19/17 11:28 p.m.

Good luck with the new adjuster. You deserve a break after all this.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/20/17 9:10 a.m.

FWIW, an illegal immigrant with no license or insurance dropped a wheel while texting, overcorrected, freaked out, stood on the gas, and went 200' into SWMBO's grandma's yard, took out the natural gas valve, removed a tree from the earth by the roots, and punched an F150 sized hole in her fence. The truck stopped with the bumper resting on the corner of the house, but no damage to the house itself. No news coverage.

I feel for you bud. And, I have a spare Slugger if you need it. It may help to set a precedent "right off the bat" with the new adjuster

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/20/17 5:10 p.m.

Paraphrasing my new contractor:

"I spoke with the building inspector and he gave me the requirements he wanted to get the job permitted. I will have everything to send in to the new adjuster on Monday or Tuesday. If he gives us the OK we can start right away."

Fingers crossed I won't need to go all Willie Mays after all!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/21/17 7:52 a.m.

Congrats!

Somebody still needs seriously reamed over this.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/21/17 12:11 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

I'm thinking of speaking to the previous adjusters manager and notifying him that we're dropping Liberty Mutual after over 40 years of loyal service because of this.

Then call Allstate.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/17 12:39 p.m.

Glad this is finally starting to move forward!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 1:34 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to fasted58: I'm thinking of speaking to the previous adjusters manager and notifying him that we're dropping Liberty Mutual after over 40 years of loyal service because of this. Then call Allstate.

I think a better thing to do is call them and present your story and ask them how they are going to keep you as a customer.

Alstate could care less about you. Liberty has an incentive to make things right.

I still think you should take up my offer. It may go a long way to getting you better service now and in the future.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/21/17 3:27 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Can you explain what you meant by taking you up on your offer?

I was thinking that was if I didn't get any action but if you think I can still benefit from your help, I'm ready to listen!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/21/17 8:17 p.m.

I'm glad this seems to be moving forward.

Word of caution before the new contractor starts swinging hammers is to review your contract with him. I don't want him moving forward, doing a bunch of work, only to recover part of it from the insurance company then coming to you for the remainder by putting a lien on the house. I've seen it before though usually with outrageous water or mold remediation bills.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/21/17 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

This new contractor is a family friend that originally built part of the area that was damaged, funny enough!

He also built a second tier on our back deck.

Stellar reputation in town. A guy I'm sorry I didn't use from the get-go.

Your caution is welcome nonetheless, thanks!

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/21/17 11:15 p.m.

From my many years of experience working in this industry, listen to Klayfish and Greg Voth more than anyone else in this thread. Also, if you are looking to get a different carrier, Allstate is the only one of the major carriers that I would personally never, ever, have insure anything I own. Really, pick almost anyone else. Travelers, Erie, etc... are all much much better.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/22/17 6:59 a.m.

In reply to Sonic:

Allstate was just on the top of my mind because I had just seen yet another ad on tv.

I'd do a thorough search before switching.

As far as I can tell, we've found the causes of this mess and have sent them all packing. I'll give Liberty Mutual (minus the previous adjuster) a chance to make this right before I jump ship.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/25/17 7:14 p.m.

Contractor sent off a $43,000 estimate to Liberty Mutual.

Reply from new adjuster was as immediate as these things can be.

He actually asked about being sure to include the cost of another engineer if he chose to use one.

Fingers crossed!

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/26/17 7:16 a.m.

Good luck with the shopping my friend.

While your claim is "open" you won't find any preferred carriers who'll touch you. With claim over $25k, it will most likely be 3 years before another carrier will look at you, without your agent having great relationship with underwriter. You won't get "claim free discount" on new policy. Don't be a day late with your premium, Liberty will not usually reinstate someone w/claims history. Hope you don't have a second. Pray you then don't have third claim.

Wait until claim is closed before shopping.

Just sharing. It seems no claim goes unpunished.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/26/17 8:48 a.m.

In reply to etifosi:

It was talk for the most part. And anything that I do depends on how Liberty Mutual responds after dumping the previous adjuster and so far, they're redeeming themselves.

Thanks for the heads up!

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
1/26/17 7:26 p.m.

So they dick you around for 7 months and now that they are doing what should have been done in the first place, they've redeemed themselves? You're way more forgiving than me.

Whomever told you to go through your insurance is the one that really messed up this deal though.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7nS4E0nVsdNVrBS7d3pm4pInsjm3JlJyKiH5h5f2vyA5BTEYa2gm5KPpeTxfBsq3