Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/14 7:20 p.m.

And dropped of this.

It's not mine. My business partner is a Mustang fan. He's got a 66 notch back, but has wanted a fast back for a long time.

It's a basket case, but it's got good bones. No major rust other than floorboards and it came with new ones. He's got his work cut out for him.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/17/14 7:39 p.m.

I see these pop up in the $2000 range from time to time, in similar condition, but usually a 6 cylinder, and just laugh because I know it would take me 10 years to finish it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/17/14 7:50 p.m.

Throw a hot small block in it, make sure it's functionally sound, put some fat rubber on it, and just beat the ever loving E36 M3 out of it. I don't know that i'd even wash it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/14 7:52 p.m.

Looks pretty good, should be a fairly easy resto.

Not a big Ford guy, but Fastbacks appeal to me....

Toyman01
12/17/14 7:58 p.m.

This one has been sitting for 10+ years. At present, it won't roll, but the engine will fire if you dump gas down the carb.

He's got a pretty hot 302 in his notch back with a 4 speed. He's thinking about mixing and matching the best of the two into the fastback and selling the notch back. Knowing him though, he'll change his mind a dozen times.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/14 8:47 p.m.

That's a '66 C-code, right?

That car looks nice and straight.

Before he does anything else, he should take a cup of water and pour it into the cowl vent. Then check to see if it runs out onto the driver's or passenger's feet. If it does, he needs to fix the cowl before he fixes the floors.

Woody
12/17/14 8:50 p.m.

Also, open the trunk and look at the underside of the area between the back window and the trunk opening. It should have a boxed reinforcement up there. They rust out if the window seal leaks.

Toyman01
12/17/14 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

He's trying to dig 10 years of leaves and crap out of the cowl vent now. It was packed full. It's slow going at best. He didn't think it was leaking, but couldn't tell for sure with all the leaves sucking up the water.

It's an A code car, but the engine isn't original to the car. It's supposed to be a 4 barrel 289. The engine in it is a 2 barrel and the oil filter location is wrong. He thinks it's a later block and possibly a 302. He was trying to find casting numbers on the engine this afternoon to figure out what it is.

Woody
12/17/14 9:11 p.m.

Cowls are easier to do now than they were a few years ago, but it's still a huge job.

It's cool that it's an A-code. You don't see that engine in a lot of non-GTs.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/14 5:44 a.m.

Nice.. Don't forget to fix the rust under the cowl panel...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yumiUDyCA9rjbI7WeB8zhYod5j66rxebfwKmtWIVmwpBf8l8sOnwAuvFwncbOVsa