1 2
Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/24/16 2:21 p.m.

How cool would it be to imitate the late Steve McQueen? Enter a car into a REAL cannonball. Have a heli chase with camera. And have cameras inside the car or cars. Then create the story around what actually happened. Like Lemans. That would be neat. No Hollywood cgi, no green screen edits. It either really happens or it doesn't make the cut. I know everyone on this forum would be there opening night.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/24/16 5:11 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: How cool would it be to imitate the late Steve McQueen? Enter a car into a REAL cannonball. Have a heli chase with camera. And have cameras inside the car or cars. Then create the story around what actually happened. Like Lemans. That would be neat. No Hollywood cgi, no green screen edits. It either really happens or it doesn't make the cut. I know everyone on this forum would be there opening night.

In this day and age, I suspect the "story" would resolve around who can post bail in middle-of-nowhere USA with the speeding/reckless penalties much stiffer now, and it far more difficult to avoid/get away from the police (who have cars plenty fast, cell phones, and helicopters to get you now)

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/24/16 5:31 p.m.

I make it from NY to LA routinely in under six hours. Legally. While reading a book. I think the ship sailed on efficiently driving there sometime around 1950. Racing there... Somewhere in the 1970s when the interstate system was still new.

So... So do it on a unicycle if you want to prove something. Otherwise It's been done a thousand times. It's old. No one cares.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/24/16 7:54 p.m.

Why am I just laughing out loud (and I very sober right now) while reading this thread?

hhaase
hhaase Reader
10/24/16 8:48 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Why am I just laughing out loud (and I very sober right now) while reading this thread?

Because only GRM readers could turn a discussion of IP infringement into a serious discussion about the logistics involved in making a knight rider themed recharge vehicle.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/25/16 7:29 a.m.

Who's in for the first fully autonomous cannonball with mobile charge stations, think semi with a cord out the back like in air refueling. Maybe I’ll stay and home and send the car on it’s own. Could I still win that way?

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/25/16 8:08 a.m.

If the car gets clocked driving itself at 170 in a 55, who gets arrested?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/25/16 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Elon Musk

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/16 9:27 a.m.

The core difference: Back then, some dudes wanted to do something amazing and hoped nobody would find out about it.

Now, some dudes want to do something mildly more adventurous than take a cruise...and they're really worried some people on Facebook won't see their post...oh and the profile picture update....oh, we better stage a picture with the police, lol. Selfie time!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n0Vdpa93SCMmb5CClQPiR4hl1ClEbmn62AFmjl90LF6W8clOaS2cxLSb7JWwpAGm