1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/16 10:17 a.m.

Just saw a post on Farcebook that Goodwin Racing was able to squeeze 193 whp out of an ND with a header/midpipe/exhaust combo and a tune.

Makes me wonder what Keith & colleagues are cooking up. At this rate I might end up voiding the warranty at some point.

Mind you, at the moment I'd rather keep it until I get a better handle on the gearbox.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/9/16 10:19 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Yeah, I saw that too, where they gained 40hp, largely attributed to the header they cooked up. Wish it was that easy to make power on the earlier cars

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/9/16 10:20 a.m.
NickD wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Yeah, I saw that too, where they gained 40hp, largely attributed to the header they cooked up. Wish it was that easy to make power on the earlier cars

QFT!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/9/16 10:25 a.m.

Yep, it makes it very tempting to trade in the BRZ.

Nearly the same whp as a tuned BRZ but 400-500 less pounds.......should be quite a blast.

BoxheadTim
6/9/16 10:27 a.m.

I haven't auto-Xd or tracked mine as I prefer to use paid-for, out of warranty cars for that , but given how much of a blast a stock one is on the mountain roads around here I really want to find out what they're like with more power.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/9/16 10:30 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
NickD wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Yeah, I saw that too, where they gained 40hp, largely attributed to the header they cooked up. Wish it was that easy to make power on the earlier cars
QFT!

I bet that the header, high-flow cat and exhuast took my 1.6L from 115 crank hp to 117 crank hp.

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
6/9/16 10:31 a.m.

Will you be able to do the same thing with the fiat 124 spider

BoxheadTim
6/9/16 10:32 a.m.

Different motor. But the Fiat one has a hairdryer bolted to it from the factory and people have had a fair amount of success tuning it in the 500.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
6/9/16 10:52 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Yep, it makes it very tempting to trade in the BRZ.

You can do the same thing to the BRZ and see similar gains.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
6/9/16 10:53 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
QFT!

a bit of headwork doesn't hurt....

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/16 11:55 a.m.

Yeah, That makes the new cars a lot more interesting to me I was rather impressed with the gains they are getting. I saw that on Miata.net a few weeks ago.

Nice thing is they are getting close to the HP of the tuned Abarth 500's that are running around out there. Not as much torque but also it's a lighter car.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/9/16 11:58 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
QFT!
a bit of headwork doesn't hurt....

It does when you're running Spec Miata. Ask places 1 thru 6 from the Runoffs.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/9/16 11:59 a.m.
NickD wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
QFT!
I bet that the header, high-flow cat and exhuast took my 1.6L from 115 crank hp to 117 crank hp.

I should have dynoed it before I swapped on the pieces but yeah. 1997 with intake, header, cat, timing bump, and high flow exhaust netted a whopping 115 whp. Sigh

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
6/9/16 12:03 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
NickD wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
QFT!
I should have dynoed it before I swapped on the pieces but yeah. 1997 with intake, header, cat, timing bump, and high flow exhaust netted a whopping 115 whp. Sigh

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
6/9/16 12:05 p.m.

Wow, that's ridiculously impressive. Nearly 200hp at the wheels with just those changes, amazing. Don't these SKYACTIV engines have trick headers already to help draw air out of the cylinders?

Any idea if the same kinds of gains could be seen in the 2.5 Mazda mill?

And yeah, I wish someone would come up with a way to make some power improvements in the old cars!

RedGT
RedGT Reader
6/9/16 12:25 p.m.

For the early cars, instead of spending $1900 on a header and exhaust, you spend that $1900 on a supercharger/turbocharger.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
6/9/16 12:28 p.m.

R.I.P. STR S2000

2009-2016

You will be missed.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/9/16 12:29 p.m.
fireball123 wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
NickD wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
QFT!

I'd love to have 115 at the wheels. I probably have all of ~90hp at the tires. Hopefully the BP-4W I'm building can improve on that.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/16 12:41 p.m.

So does this mean that Mazdas are finally reaching the output levels of a twelve-year-old K-series Honda?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/9/16 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Kreb:

For 1/10 of the cost.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/9/16 12:58 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Yep, it makes it very tempting to trade in the BRZ.
You can do the same thing to the BRZ and see similar gains.

It takes Flex Fuel kit, E85, and ACE Specific tune from Delicious and a $1600 header to see ~35-40whp on the BRZ.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
6/9/16 1:02 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

This is a $1900 header/midpipe combo and specific tune - so pump gas, but it's not exactly cheap

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/9/16 1:04 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Just saw a post on Farcebook that Goodwin Racing was able to squeeze 193 whp out of an ND with a header/midpipe/exhaust combo and a tune. Makes me wonder what Keith & colleagues are cooking up. At this rate I might end up voiding the warranty at some point. Mind you, at the moment I'd rather keep it until I get a better handle on the gearbox.

Do bear in mind- that package will have to come with "Off Road Use Only" tags all over it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/16 1:22 p.m.

I saw that header in an email from Good-Win racing. Meant to make a thread asking Keith what he thought about it and then promptly forgot. Hopefully he'll chime in here. 40hp is a LOT to leave on the table from Mazda's engineers.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
6/9/16 1:38 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I saw that header in an email from Good-Win racing. Meant to make a thread asking Keith what he thought about it and then promptly forgot. Hopefully he'll chime in here. 40hp is a LOT to leave on the table from Mazda's engineers.

I do wonder if Mazda did it on purpose, to appeal to the true enthusiast/motorsports crowd... The ones who actually enjoy modding their cars for more power and better handling, while leaving a fairly docile Miata for the unwashed masses?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E38HYtq5x8XB4fVGqhP54Xy7LQqBXAxkon8OInrKQYS35QTkizku1hFF0wnEIFFQ