1 2
Desmond
Desmond Reader
12/15/14 4:32 p.m.

I feel the need to make emphasis here. The differences between the AP1 and AP2 go far beyond the slight change of engine displacement. They are actually very different, and a lot of those differences are pretty substantial. I looked into buying one not too long ago.

This is a great reference: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/755380-s2000-model-year-differences/

Mind you, I will still own one of these cars one day. However, if you're looking for a fun track car, I think its worth browsing for a 350z as well. The 350z is kind of a heavier version of the S2000. Its more clumsy, but they can be made into AWESOME track day cars with just some minor modifications. You can find them anywhere from 6-15k. Spec 350z is actually getting very popular here where I'm at in our local NASA groups.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 4:49 p.m.

I thought about the 350z but with the added weight and fatter tires, I imagine that consumables would be quite a bit more than the S2000. Plus being around the same price as the S2000 with worse quality interior materials and even less of a chance of the market for them going up, I kinda put them off to the side.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/15/14 8:00 p.m.

I would love an S2K. I absolutely fell in love with them as a tech at Honda. I wish I was in a place to buy one because I feel in the next 5-10 years finding a clean one will be next to impossible.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
12/15/14 8:20 p.m.

You bunch of jerks.. Made me look...

and dang.... Garage envy anyone?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4765593757.html

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
12/15/14 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Desmond:

There are quite a few changes, I just didn't want to muddy the thread with all of them. There's a fairly big driving feel between the two as well.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/16/14 1:37 a.m.

Certain years, colors are more desirable and pricey. I recently got an 07, 85k, white with red/black interior, new top but otherwise just a nicely maintained yet driven car in stock form.

20K - yes, I could've gotten more car for the money, but I've wanted a white S2000 for a long time, and they're pretty rare. I imagine I won't lose much selling within a few years. It's my daily so I wanted the gearing and displacement of the AP2, and the ease of tuning the 06+ cars with a Hondata Flashpro. I think that is one of the reasons 06+ fetch a premium. I'm quite happy with the car thus far.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/16/14 8:03 a.m.

A lot of the driving-related stuff btw the AP1 and AP2 can be changed (e.g. springs/shocks, sways, rear subframe+upper control arms), but not all of it.

NOTE: The AP2 in Japan still had the F20C for 05/06 (I think)... even with the same engine, the chassis changes resulted in better lap times and less snap-oversteer. Best Motoring has a video out there about this. I like the frenetic F20C more than the F22C, but the good chassis changes I like (geometry, wheel/tire package) probably outweigh the "bad" chassis changes (softer springs, clutch delay valve, etc).

Forgot to address the 350Z: it's a good car, but nothing like an S2000. Not nearly as tight, and it's nose heavy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jlh3Ah74mDMgNfBHx5i4Z7mQluVuO35YVLiXJl7yhGpppIWM62NkH7sUD8uUrwAX