1 2
t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 7:21 a.m.

Looking at one for the next possible longish term ride that I'll be able to sell on for what I have in it, when that time comes. So lay down the knowledge on these cars for me, if you would be so kind peeps.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
12/15/14 8:42 a.m.

The AP1's (2000-2003) can be had for under 10K now days, but if you're I retested in selling value down the road, AP2's (2004 and up) bring in quite a bit more.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/15/14 8:44 a.m.

I thought clean ones were already on their way back up?

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 9:00 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: The AP1's (2000-2003) can be had for under 10K now days, but if you're I retested in selling value down the road, AP2's (2004 and up) bring in quite a bit more.

Hmm I thought the AP1 was more desirable due to the high redline. And if they are on the rise I guess I should buy sooner rather than later

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/14 9:03 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: I thought clean ones were already on their way back up?

From what I've seen out here, at least the gap between nice ones with a clean title and the well used examples with a salvage title is widening. It looks like prices for clean ones (especially low mileage ones) have stabilized.

Spoolpigeon wrote: Hmm I thought the AP1 was more desirable due to the high redline. And if they are on the rise I guess I should buy sooner rather than later

Desirable is relative - the AP1 is (even) more manic than the AP2, the AP2 has a little more torque and slightly more stable handling.

If I were in the market I'd drive both and decide - actually I did and both have their merits. I'd buy the best, most unmodded example that the budget allows.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/15/14 9:03 a.m.

Some people like Spool and I prefer the AP1.

The general population likes the AP2 and will pay quite a bit more for it.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
12/15/14 9:22 a.m.

AP1 for the win but it's gotta be an 02-03 for rear glass.

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
12/15/14 9:29 a.m.

I've been watching prices over the last year since I really want upgrade my miata to one. They can be found for less than 10K almost all day for salvaged and high mileage silver ap1's. But less than 15K should get you a good ap1 with nearing or above 100K miles. Low mileage ap2 can be seen listed for over 20K. They do seem to hold value really well too.

I want a spa yellow 02-03

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
12/15/14 10:13 a.m.

I had a red AP1 that I was able to purchase, drive for ~12 months, then sell private party for what I paid (minus the taxes, registration, maintenance, etc.). As others have said, clean, unmolested examples will command a premium now and in the future. From the looks of it they have already gone up slightly since I was last in the market for mine (about 2 years ago).

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
12/15/14 10:15 a.m.

Yea, it's amazing how they hold their value. But at $15k for a clean one, you're back in C5 territory.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 10:17 a.m.
bigmackloud wrote: Yea, it's amazing how they hold their value. But at $15k for a clean one, you're back in C5 territory.

Yeah but will the C5 hold it's value and I guess in my case will consumables be the same amount for the C5 as the S2000?

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
12/15/14 10:30 a.m.

Yea, I agree, kinda apples and oranges. Depends on which you prefer and long term usage. I like both and am happy to encourage you to spend your money in either direction, haha.

Consumables would probably be more for the C5, given the V8. Though I think the C5 would be easier to upgrade from a HP prospective if you desired to go that direction.

I don't recall the details, but there's a concern with valve retainers (?) for the AP1 S2K's. I believe the common upgrade is to go with AP2 parts. Might be worth familiarizing with if you haven't already.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/15/14 10:39 a.m.

In reply to t25torx: Hey! Didn't I just see you asking opinions of a very high mileage Lotus? I can't imagine any ride you could consider that would be more of a risk than a high mileage Lotus.

BUY THE LOTUS After all, what can possibly go wrong?

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
12/15/14 11:15 a.m.

I didnt realize they had gotten that expensive. Back in 2010 I got my AP1 for about $7500.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/15/14 11:30 a.m.

Here's my take. I like them both, for different reasons. The AP1's seem to have settled, and maybe risen for good examples, the AP2s are still somewhat depreciating as they are newer cars.

I've watched several AP2s sit on dealer lots lately, one low mileage '08 for close to a year. It's a very nice car and has dropped almost $5k over that time period. My guess is that since it is yellow, it may be a tough sell.

As to the C5 vs. S2000 debate, I would say there isn't one. They are vastly different cars, and the Honda would be cheaper to own over an extended period. Just in tires you would save a bundle. I know what it costs me to keep tires on the 370Z, and the C5 is even worse. Other consumables are higher as well. Of course the C5 has merits of its own.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 11:50 a.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to t25torx: Hey! Didn't I just see you asking opinions of a very high mileage Lotus? I can't imagine any ride you could consider that would be more of a risk than a high mileage Lotus. BUY THE LOTUS After all, what can possibly go wrong?

Hehe, I like exploring many avenues. I'm not averse to risk, and at that price I think the Lotus could turn a decent profit if the price on nice examples stays in the 20k range.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 11:55 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Any unmodified one will bring good money. There is a "magic spot" though. Under 60K miles bring a small uptick. 65K to 13K are about the same money, then they drop a little again. The gap between 2000-2003 and 2004-2008 cars is getting less and less as they get older, but the 06-08 seem to be more than the 04-05 for some reason. Color can make a huge difference in pricing to a lot of people. If I were to do it, I'd buy a 75K mile 04 or 05 for $15K in black. I'd drive that car to 95k miles and break even on it. I just went through a lot of this with My Son, it's documented on this board somewhere. For those of you keeping track, the last post was he bought a 2005 19K mile car that was dead stock for $22,500. It was exactly what he wanted. It drove him nuts. He was so worried about putting miles on it and/or damaging it, that he did not enjoy having it. It was too perfect to use. He sold it for $23,500 to a guy that wanted the "best, unmolested, AP2" he could find. That guy has now lowered it and cut the rear quarters with a saws all, so there's another one gone My son is shopping 911's after that Jalopnik article

Yeah I followed along with your Macco fiasco with that car. I was looking in the 120k mileage area in the $8k range. As you can see with my Wheeler Dealer posts, i'm not averse to a little restoration to get a car back to very clean status. The 996 was another car on my list. I've found some high mileage in the 15-16k range that have peaked my interest, I just don't know if they will appreciate in price again or stay low due to not being a "true" air cooled Porsche.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
12/15/14 12:12 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Some people like Spool and I prefer the AP1. The general population likes the AP2 and will pay quite a bit more for it.

This.

I suggest driving both and see what you like. From a strictly autocross perspective, I prefer the craziness of the AP1. If it were to be a DD I would take the AP2 for the few more torques and better gearing.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/15/14 12:52 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: If you grab one with 120K for @8k, it's worth that $8K until it hits @165K, so that's the kind to buy, but color makes a difference. No one wants the yellow or silver now for some reason. He's looking at an 01 with 65K 996 at the moment. Can be bought for $19K. Waiting on records. I think that might be one to grab, but I really don't know them that well. It's going to depend on the repair records. It's a black/black coupe with the 6 speed, and a sunroof. Fender bender in 2007 according to carfax.

With 65k on that sounds about right. This one is up near my parents in TN, http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/4770849040.html

95k for $18k

Hmm no Yellow or Silver, those are the two colors I was interested in, guess I'm not "normal". I would take a white one though. I hate black cars so I'll never get one in that color unless it falls in my lap for crazy low money.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/14 2:29 p.m.

Damn you all. (looks up S2000s on CraigsList)

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
12/15/14 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

I think yellow on that car is more you either love it or hate it.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/15/14 3:21 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: AP1 for the win but it's gotta be an 02-03 for rear glass.

This!

If I got another one, it'd be an AP1 with a glass window and an AP2 rear subframe FWIW I bought mine with 110k on the odo and sold it with 144k on it. Besides the softtop wear, it was just oil, clutch (wear), brake pads, tires, and one rear wheel bearing (car never had the TSB performed).

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
12/15/14 3:25 p.m.

I just stumbled across this today and it seemed relevant, NMNA http://kokomo.craigslist.org/cto/4798334142.html

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/15/14 3:53 p.m.

Why'd you have to go and do that...

Mine was Silverstone with the two-tone Black & Red interior. Best combo of the bunch!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/15/14 4:13 p.m.

WTT: built motor turbo miata with hardtop and other goodies for AP1.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1kEBHPqyePJCo3IpJ053tV3NZNIpvNxEs6eY1t5UHphAO7doZPht63DHBLlEW7QI