1 2
mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/13/13 6:51 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
yamaha wrote:
wbjones wrote: ok … I'll bite .. why do you need to cover your plates ?
Some people in the insurance/manufacturor warranty industry can get pissy sometimes and do things. remember the evo's getting voided warranties and such?
I've been autocrossing for more than 10 yrs … and while I heard those stories, I've never seen someone at an autocross taking down license tag numbers … nor have I ever known anyone personally that had a problem with their ins. or their warranty because of motorsports (a-x or track events)

What's a warranty?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/13/13 7:16 p.m.

Fwiw, I could cast them in aluminum...with GRMs permission of course...

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/13/13 8:42 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
yamaha wrote:
wbjones wrote: ok … I'll bite .. why do you need to cover your plates ?
Some people in the insurance/manufacturor warranty industry can get pissy sometimes and do things. remember the evo's getting voided warranties and such?
I've been autocrossing for more than 10 yrs … and while I heard those stories, I've never seen someone at an autocross taking down license tag numbers … nor have I ever known anyone personally that had a problem with their ins. or their warranty because of motorsports (a-x or track events)

Photos are forever. (On the Internet at least).

As soon as insurance companies start using already-existing technology to harvest license plate numbers from images on the web, it'll be very easy to cancel/hike up your insurance because of "uninsured use".

Some governments already gather this information, but I don't know if they're using it for enforcement yet.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/14/13 6:26 a.m.

according to my ins agent …it's the car that is insured … so if I've loaned my car, it's ins.

(not sure if this is the exact problem you're referring to)

plus my agent is well aware of how I use my car .. and is fine with it … even if I were to wad it up on track (the one I have collision on … they would pay (they would also drop me from their coverage … but they would pay)

so I don't see how any pics on the interwebzs would cause a problem … but then again, my tinfoil hat doesn't fit anymore … I don't automatically assume that co./the gubment are out to get out to get me all the time (just some of the time )

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/14/13 6:41 a.m.
wbjones wrote: according to my ins agent …it's the car that is insured … so if I've loaned my car, it's ins. (not sure if this is the exact problem you're referring to) plus my agent is well aware of how I use my car .. and is fine with it … even if I were to wad it up on track (the one I have collision on … they would pay (they would also drop me from their coverage … but they would pay) so I don't see how any pics on the interwebzs would cause a problem … but then again, my tinfoil hat doesn't fit anymore … I don't automatically assume that co./the gubment are out to get out to get me all the time (just some of the time )

plan for the worst, hope for the best... it's best to operate on the assumption that "they" are out to get you and be pleasantly surprised when they aren't.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/14/13 7:42 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I guess Ohio is just behind the times.

Must resist must resist

freestyle
freestyle New Reader
12/14/13 1:43 p.m.

Yes, some insurance adjusters look for info on you online. One and a half years ago, my Miata was rear ended and totalled by an uninsured motorist on the freeway. (Montero 45mph vs Miata 0mph) During the gap between the accident an settling my local agent privately told me to shop for new auto insurance NOW. The adjuster had found my name on Miata.net. I had installed Hawk brake pads and an aftermarket exhaust. To be fair this was in the autocrossing section. This was enough to cancel me. As it turns out, I got a better rate from the new company. Prior to this I had 1 moving violation in 12 years. No speeding tickets, and the only accident was being rear ended 30 years ago. My local autocross club posts our names with times and standings without shame. That wasn't brought up.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/15/13 7:27 p.m.
freestyle wrote: Yes, some insurance adjusters look for info on you online. One and a half years ago, my Miata was rear ended and totalled by an uninsured motorist on the freeway. (Montero 45mph vs Miata 0mph) During the gap between the accident an settling my local agent privately told me to shop for new auto insurance NOW. The adjuster had found my name on Miata.net. I had installed Hawk brake pads and an aftermarket exhaust. To be fair this was in the autocrossing section. This was enough to cancel me. As it turns out, I got a better rate from the new company. Prior to this I had 1 moving violation in 12 years. No speeding tickets, and the only accident was being rear ended 30 years ago. My local autocross club posts our names with times and standings without shame. That wasn't brought up.

that's why my name isn't attached to anything online.. except for facebook.. but no one ever looks for info on anyone there, so i'm safe..

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
12/15/13 7:54 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
JtspellS wrote: BTW you know anyone with a P5 without an annoyingly loud cheap cat-back? lol
(Raises hand)

what catback are you running? im coming up on due for exhaustwork on my p5

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/15/13 7:55 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
freestyle wrote: Yes, some insurance adjusters look for info on you online. One and a half years ago, my Miata was rear ended and totalled by an uninsured motorist on the freeway. (Montero 45mph vs Miata 0mph) During the gap between the accident an settling my local agent privately told me to shop for new auto insurance NOW. The adjuster had found my name on Miata.net. I had installed Hawk brake pads and an aftermarket exhaust. To be fair this was in the autocrossing section. This was enough to cancel me. As it turns out, I got a better rate from the new company. Prior to this I had 1 moving violation in 12 years. No speeding tickets, and the only accident was being rear ended 30 years ago. My local autocross club posts our names with times and standings without shame. That wasn't brought up.
that's why my name isn't attached to anything online.. except for facebook.. but no one ever looks for info on anyone there, so i'm safe..

My brother is my agent.... so I have a buffer.

dinger
dinger Reader
12/16/13 8:24 a.m.
mndsm wrote: What's a warranty?

It's an opportunity for a car dealership's service department to piss you off with their gross incompetence after you've been stupid enough to shell out the cash for a new or way-too-close-to-new car.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/16/13 7:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Well you can have my OEM after I get this

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
12/17/13 7:01 a.m.

so what are you getting?

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/17/13 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Lol just playing, I need to find something though so I don't sneak up on another unsuspecting course worker.

Did you know of anything to stay away from?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
12/18/13 9:00 a.m.

im looking at racingbeat myself. the youtube videos dont sound bad.

car39
car39 HalfDork
12/18/13 10:43 a.m.

I have a friend that was told a known engine defect on his AWD Japanese car (no names, please) would not be repaired because he had autocrossed it. Car was unmodified, ran in stock class. He now registers under an alias, and tapes over his license plate. He did find another dealer to do the work, so that part was all good. During the driver's meeting at our autox, we stress that EVERYONE on the lot has a camera, so if you want to protect your ID, take appropriate action.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
12/18/13 11:17 a.m.

Hanging out with a local VW service writer a while back I learned VW/Audi was really bad at this. Because they couldn't make a decent car and were constantly warrantying their junk, they would black list ANY modification to void warranty. They would send Corporate reps out to the legal drags and start documenting license plates and VINs of participants.

There was ONE tech at a local dealership that was modification friendly and his name was well known in the community. That guy got all the cars still under warranty for the car clubs in town. I bet that guy always had plenty of work to do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FajlmtO59cltDXUDmR9fVKOwYIJOkenQsYs8zxsIiuOSwVBf1H1QbfKaKjuP2FsZ