bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/18/18 8:03 a.m.

The ad stated they were parting out an "'87 Voolvo 760 wagon, and 5 older Volvos" call or text.  My first few attempts to text were unsuccessful, as it turns out, you can't text a land line. wink

I call, rings forever, automated answering machine robot voice eventually answers, as I'm leaving the message, the seller picks up.

I introduce myself again, this time to him, instead of the robot, and ask about the Volvos, turns out the only RWD Volvo he's got is the 760, the rest are FWD P80 cars, 850s and S70s.

I explain that I'm looking for some 15-16" wheels to replace my 14" wheels on the 242, an intercooler and some turbo plumbing.

Seller is chatty and personable, says he's retired, likes Volvos, and to tinker on them, thinks the wheels are 15" but doesn't know for sure, says he'll get back to me.  It's night time, dark out, I tell him no rush, sometime the next day just call and let me know.  He tells me he sold the intercooler already.  Bummer.

We exchange pleasantries and our conversation ends.

About 10 minutes later my phone rings, and it's the "Voolvo" guy, "yep, they're 15" wheels," and he goes on to describe them in enough detail, and I'm enough of a Volvo nerd to know they're Omegas.  I ask his price, and he said he'd take $100 for all of them.  I accept, and arrange a general time to pick them up.

I then text my folks and ask to borrow my their truck, dad says, "sure," decides he might want to go to, (a fairly blatant maneuver on his part to avoid going to a wedding shower that same day) and then asks, "do we, need a trailer?" enlightened

No, why would we need a trailer, we're just getting wheels?  Then the gears start to turn...

I call the "Voolvo" guy back, apologize for bugging him so much, and get some more info about the 760 parts car.  It ran but not well, when he bought it about 5 years ago, drove it to his house, parked it where it sits now, and he's pulled "some" parts off of it.  Then I made the mistake of asking, "do you have a title for it?" to which he responds, "I sure do."  It seems I can't help myself, because I then asked, "what would you want for the whole car?"  He thought about it for about 3 or 4 seconds, and said "I tell ya what, I'll take $300 for the whole car."

Then this happened:

The car is a basket case, all accessories had been removed from the engine, plus the radiator, condenser, oil cooler, etc.  All of which were placed in a neat arc on the ground within a 6' radius of the front of the car, as if some ritual Volvo sacrifice were taking place.

The seller kept going to the trunk and/or back seat of various other near-by Volvos, bringing back pieces of the 760 he'd stored there.  "I kept all of the fasteners, bolts, hose clamps, what not, I think they're in this trunk, oh yeah, here's the ignition coil too."  "You probably want the grille, it's over here."  It went on like that for a while.

We stuffed all the loose parts in the cabin of the car.

Even more peculiar, the turbo is missing, and it has an N/A exhaust manifold, and down pipe, yet it's obviously badged as a turbo intercooled car, and has the remnants of turbo plumbing.  It was getting dark, but peering under the exhaust manifold, it appears that the turbo drain in the block has been plugged.  I suspect someone had a bad turbo, went to the junk yard, and got the cheapest option they could find to get the car going again, which was sticking a N/A exhaust manifold on it.

Oh, and that intercooler, that was already sold, the seller said he knew the guy he sold it to, figured he hadn't used it yet, so he stopped by to check.  Sure enough, the guy he sold it to still had it, so he got it back from him, so it could stay with the 760. laugh

So now I have a Volvo wagon shaped, semi-rollable, somewhat self-contained, parts pile with a title...

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
2/18/18 8:12 a.m.

Sounds like one of my adventures, went to buy a Chrysler cylinder head and my uncle ended up buying a 32' boat.

Paul

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/18/18 8:34 a.m.

This almost happened to me.  Some 13 years ago the ex- and I went to a VSA club member to try to get a drive shaft for her M41 conversion. In the back the guy had a 740 Turbo 5 spd. $500.  Mild front hit.  Unfortunately, as much as I can't handle more projects now, I was even less able to then.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
2/18/18 8:49 a.m.

That is why I NEVER bring a trailer with me to look at car parts. GL on your project. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/18 11:06 a.m.

And I mean that in the best, GRM kinda way laugh

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/18/18 11:36 a.m.

OOOOOooooo!  Fun!

Erich
Erich UltraDork
2/18/18 3:01 p.m.

I have some complete tail lights if you need them. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/18 3:24 p.m.

So, the takeaway I am getting from your story is, you're still looking for a set of wheels.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/18 7:47 p.m.

Omegas are one of my favorite Volvo wheels if you want to sell.

I won't bring a trailer...

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
2/18/18 8:44 p.m.

Doesn't Voolvo make the Cramit?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/18/18 8:58 p.m.

I had a friend.  He married a woman that was dumb as a box of rocks.  Literally.  He bought her a used Volvo.  A sedan from the brick era.  I was talking to her one day and she said "I just LOVE my new Vulva."  I said "Uh... Volvo."  "Oh, yeah, right."

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/18/18 9:21 p.m.

Here's a slightly "better" shot in the daylight.

The engine has sat, open to the elements for Lord only knows how long.  There were pecan tree flowers/stamen and various leafy bits in the head. frown

The cam is pretty rusty thanks to the valve cover being in the passenger floor board.  I pulled the plugs, and poured a few glugs of Marvel Mystery Oil in each of the cylinders. I poured some into each of the open intake ports, and poured the rest over the cam.

I sat the valve cover back on, covered the oil filler bung with duct tape.  I'm not sure what part of the car the oil filler cap is in, or if I even have one?  I jammed some wadded up foil in the open intake ports and thermostat opening, and then covered them with duct tape. 

The missing passenger front window is  now clear plastic and duct tape as well.

I need to spend some time looking over this thing, I may have an N/A block, and not a turbo with a N/A exhaust manifold like I first thought.

It's parked in the pasture now, where it will stay until sometime this summer at the earliest.

This isn't a near term project, the goal was to get wheels and some turbo bits, as stated, but I thought, "hey, a B230FT I can replace the B21 in my 242 with,"  but now I'm having doubts.

The good news, is that it's rust free as far as I can tell, that being truly south of the Mason Dixon rust free, not what you folks up north call "rust free." wink

Even if I can't use the short block for my 242, I can still use the wheels, intercooler, and plumbing, to complete my original B21+T and "normal" tires goal.  Plus the 760 was only $300 with a title, and I've got an LT1, 700R4, and an 8.8 in the shed looking for a home. devil

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/18/18 9:24 p.m.
Erich said:

I have some complete tail lights if you need them. 

It's plausible that I might, are mine broken or just missing lenses for those parts?  There's a chance the lenses are in the car somewhere if they're just missing.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/18/18 9:27 p.m.
EvanB said:

Omegas are one of my favorite Volvo wheels if you want to sell.

I won't bring a trailer...

Bring me a set of MultiX or similar 15-17" basket weaves, BBS would be okay, and I'll trade you straight across for the Omegas. wink

These are still mostly chrome, though the plating is peeling from around the spokes.  I'll throw them in the blasting cabinet, and probably paint them some gray/silve-ish color.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
2/19/18 12:52 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

“ as if some ritual Volvo sacrifice were taking place”

lmao. Thanks!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/18 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

You never know, though... I don't think you can make that kind of assumption these days.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/19/18 9:58 a.m.

" Plus the 760 was only $300 with a title, and I've got an LT1, 700R4, and an 8.8 in the shed looking for a home. devil" YES this is where I was hoping this was going......there's some ytube of one of these sportin' an LS in extreme HOON mode.  Following here boss... 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
2/19/18 10:53 a.m.

They look broken to me, hard to tell though. I think you have bigger fish to fry than tail lights, but let me know. 

I've also been tossing around the idea of selling all the parts I used to lift mine 3", including the A/T tires mounted on steelies. If you're interested in that shebang let me know.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/18 8:51 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

And I mean that in the best, GRM kinda way laugh

Yup. Congrats. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1bfPN0ldMObgQNKX6IyRkXXxwHHScV7ZOwOPJVcgWgoO2BicSqrHJ7jcACAru4fp