RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
3/23/16 5:51 p.m.

As I mentioned in my build thread I smacked my Evo X's right front wheel against a curb on Monday during the freak nor'easter we got in the morning. The car was going less than 5mph before impact. Besides curbing the E36 M3 out of the factory BBS the alignment is slightly off (pulling slightly left at highway speeds) and I'm 99.9% sure I toasted a wheel bearing. The wheel hub/bearing replacement procedure is below (PDF warning!).

http://www.evoxservicemanual.co.uk/PDFViewer.aspx?pdf=GR00001800-26

Besides the wheel hub, what else should I look for when I have the car up on jackstands? The LCA, CV boot, and tie rods, obviously, anything else?

Also, besides forking over the dough for this thingy, what are some other ways to keep the hub from spinning when I go to remove it from the driveshaft?

stan_d
stan_d Dork
3/23/16 6:32 p.m.

Air impact gun. All of the above for inspection.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/23/16 6:50 p.m.

Holding the hub for nut removal: Remove wheel, knock center cap out of wheel, reinstall wheel, put car back on ground, insert socket though center bore hole. Don't back it off past snug until it's back up in the air if you want to reuse the bearing. Once it's broken loose you can hold the hub with a prybar between the studs. When putting them back on, a helper on the brakes should hold the wheel adequately. Never put the nut on with an impact.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/16 7:01 p.m.

Bearings. I replaced two when I dumped my car in a giant pot hole

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
3/23/16 8:00 p.m.

About the bearings: The bearings are sealed in the hub and are non-replaceable. I know in some cases you can replace the bearings on a "non-servicable" hub (I've done this before on an FC RX-7), but from looking at pictures and diagrams this doesn't appear to be the case with the Evo X.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LCeuYEJYDiBA4IKcsVOpp253okEZ410SJNzyt1w5uZ5BO3xkhZ7y5wIN754XPqsI