Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
2/16/20 10:03 a.m.

And ran across this thing at Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-hp-9-in-benchtop-band-saw-60500.html

I need to accurately cut some 3" aluminum tubing with .5" wall thickness(have a bunch of flanges I need to make and its far easier than hand cutting them). This bandsaw is made for wood obviously...but considering that you end up using a wood blade when cutting aluminum most of the time anyway I thought this might work well...and then be able to pull double duty for small woodworking projects as well...its either that, or buy the less versatile chop-saw version.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/16/20 10:18 a.m.

It will work, BUT...   You'll have to be careful to get straight cuts on 3" pipe.   That blade is fairly narrow so getting it to track straight will take patience.

Not a problem with the chop saw and its big 10" or 12" blade.

YMMV

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
2/16/20 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Accuracy will not be a high priority but even high dollar saws usually need some touching up.  Cut slightly proud of the line and file by hand for accuracy.  Aluminum and a sharp file will make quick work.   

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/16/20 11:07 a.m.

A wood saw will run at a much higher blade speed than a saw intended for metal cutting. That said, cutting aluminum is done at a higher speed than steel and with ½" wall thickness material you will likely be ok in this scenario. Just be aware of the limitations and where they may be.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/16/20 11:14 a.m.

When you say "flange" I think of a level of flatness and surface finish I don't associate with "straight off the bandsaw" even if you manage to cut pretty straight.

I don't know what the application is, so I don't know how vital that is, but it's the first thing that springs to mind (beyond the issues raised above).

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/16/20 11:15 a.m.

I cut 1/2 inch aluminum with a table saw.   It is faster than my bandsaw, which has been collecting dust.   

A bandsaw works well if the cuts are not straight.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
2/17/20 9:36 a.m.

Thanks guys...left feeling indecisive on this though...maybe the table saw is a better option. As far as flange flatness...well, these will be welded and require milling flat afterward regardless because of the heat. Maybe for this project I will just hand cut some with a hole saw and angle grinder from plate stock and put off the bandsaw purchase till later....will take more time, but should be ok I guess.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 11:32 a.m.

A good, expensive band saw will cut straight if you religiously set it up right and use a quality blade.

Few things are more inaccurate than a cheap band saw.

Curtis73
2/17/20 11:33 a.m.

If you were closer, you could come into the shop and use my metal bandsaw.  It looks like this and it does very well:

Image result for metal bandsaw

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
2/17/20 12:19 p.m.
Wicked93gs said:

I need to accurately cut some 3" aluminum tubing with .5" wall thickness(have a bunch of flanges I need to make and its far easier than hand cutting them). This bandsaw is made for wood obviously...but considering that you end up using a wood blade when cutting aluminum most of the time anyway I thought this might work well...and then be able to pull double duty for small woodworking projects as well...its either that, or buy the less versatile chop-saw version.

I use this bandsaw from Harbor Freight....

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-kit-63444.html

Usually, there's a sale on it for $99. Not sure if you can use a 20% off coupon or not. Sooo much more convenient than my other H.F. bandsaw.

https://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html

The Bauer blades are way nicer cutting..

It's 'neck can handle any size tubing I use and is good enough for shaping plate. I just put it in a vise and add a larger resting platform to steady my cutting. LOL, anyone want to buy an older H.F. bandsaw?

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/17/20 4:50 p.m.
Wicked93gs said:

I had a little Craftsman/Ryobi like that. There's no berkeleying way it will do what you're asking for. Get yourself a wood mitersaw and go to town. 

I use one of these on steel, aluminum and wood. It was the best purchase I made in a long time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Evolution-Power-Tools-14-in-Multi-Purpose-Chop-Saw-RAGE2/203633549

Curtis73
2/18/20 10:00 a.m.

crap, CA... more things to buy.

If they made a 12" with the right arbor, I'd buy a blade for my chop saw.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 4:19 p.m.

I bought a DeWalt chop saw specifically for cutting metal and I was so disappointed that I sold it. It was inaccurate and very messy. And I also gave away my old bandsaw because I couldn't keep blades blades on it. I admit that I want another bandsaw though.

For now, I cut all my metal with one of these ($99 at Home Depot):

I bought it specifically for cutting the rear shelves of Miatas for rollbar installations.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 4:19 p.m.

^It's smaller than it looks in that picture.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
2/19/20 8:43 a.m.

FWIW, I too purchased a DeWalt chop saw and am underwhelmed by it's performance. Seems like the guts of it are strong enough but the noise sucks, the cuts are sloppy, the kerf is huge and blades don't seem to last.

I think mine is getting sold for a HF hand-held band saw with a stand setup from one of the various companies who sell em

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nzeFHC713zFkRfdc2m1CPbNPvIPyVra4kGuBB1X74X0tAgCZOCZFJYYLRWXQMk4R