1 2 3 ... 5
GeorgeWalton
GeorgeWalton New Reader
3/13/15 3:29 p.m.

This is a good reason not to look at craigslist on Friday the 13th. I found a 1984 V12 XJS listed right here in my backyard for $1500. It runs well, but has been parked for about a year due to an untraceable battery drain issue that resulted in numerous tows home (now there is a surprise). After explaining to the seller all of the things that can and will go wrong with a British V12 that has been sitting that long, and learning that three other people in front of me saw it and ran, I was able to talk her down from $1500 to $500. I think I got a deal. Now what do I do with it? Its too far gone cosmetically to justify bringing it back to street car duty, but too nice to part out. Anyone have any ideas?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/13/15 3:31 p.m.

Get the mechanicals right and drive it on the street anyway? Take some pics and share those to make this thread more fun.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
3/13/15 3:33 p.m.

New coffee table?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
3/13/15 3:34 p.m.

V12 Miata. V12 Locost. V12 Exocet. V12 P71. V12 Mustang. V12 Camaro. V12 S2000. V12 Corvette. V12 Datsun Z-car. V12 hotrod. V12 1/2 ton truck. V12 mated to THM425 dropped into 1/2 ton truck bed...Need I go on?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
3/13/15 3:34 p.m.

Gut it. Sheet metal and all. Turn it into a rat rod/ buggy thing. Rally the piss out of it

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/13/15 3:36 p.m.
DanyloS wrote: New coffee table?

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
3/13/15 3:41 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
DanyloS wrote: New coffee table?

Correction, LSx swap and new coffee table

GeorgeWalton
GeorgeWalton New Reader
3/13/15 3:46 p.m.

I was definitely thinking gutting it and turning it into something barely street legal. To be honest, a big part of the reason I bought it was because I have heard that an uncorked V12 is one of those sounds that everyone needs to hear at least once in their lifetime. After that, I'm open to suggestion. I had it towed to where I work, but will get some pics up on Monday.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
3/13/15 3:51 p.m.

Group 44 clone Challenge car!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/15 3:52 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

so you're saying that it'd be a slap in the face to turn it into a coffee table?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/15 3:54 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to nderwater: so you're saying that it'd be a slap in the face to turn it into a coffee table?

Punch to the face.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
3/13/15 3:54 p.m.

Yes, Group 44 Challenge Car

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/13/15 3:56 p.m.
GeorgeWalton wrote: To be honest, a big part of the reason I bought it was because I have heard that an uncorked V12 is one of those sounds that everyone needs to hear at least once in their lifetime.

You've heard right.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/13/15 3:58 p.m.

My friend that builds V12's as a hobby says that bottom end is good for 1000 HP. Add some NOS.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/15 4:03 p.m.
GeorgeWalton wrote: I have heard that an uncorked V12 is one of those sounds that everyone needs to hear at least once in their lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if2j6yqZg0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5jtf83eKGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

Nah, sounds like crap

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/13/15 4:07 p.m.

They had one of the IMSA TWR Jaguars on display at the Rolex this year,

they ran it a bit Sunday morning. To call the sound of that V12 through open pipes glorious would not come close to doing it justice.. Gut the interior, run sidepipes on it and scare the neighborhood children..

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/13/15 4:40 p.m.

berkeley sidepipes. Short stack zoomies right through the hood.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/13/15 4:42 p.m.
06HHR wrote: Gut the interior, run sidepipes on it and scare the neighborhood children..

...And make grown men swoon.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/15 5:08 p.m.

Jensenman (Curmudgeon) is going to tell you to stuff a rotary in it.

Don't listen to him.

Sounds like an outstanding Lemons car. Get it running, cage it and throw it out there.

I would hate to feed it for 24 hours though.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/13/15 5:20 p.m.

Gut it, buy a universal wiring kit for the chassis and megasquirt for the engine and add a cage. Dont forget to upgrade your life insurance policy too

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/13/15 5:51 p.m.

There was a guy on here a couple years back. I think he might have been banned he said if you rip out all the luxury type stuff they are pretty reliable and you can easily get them to bolt up corvette wheels.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
3/13/15 5:53 p.m.

Fix it and flip it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/13/15 5:57 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: There was a guy on here a couple years back. I think he might have been banned he said if you rip out all the luxury type stuff they are pretty reliable and you can easily get them to bolt up corvette wheels.

Yeah, Mguar. He had all sorts of good jag info mixed in with very much grumpy. Loosecannon started with a Jag V12 in his emod mgb so I bet his thread has some decent info.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/13/15 6:06 p.m.

I have always wanted one of these. Use one of these: hot rod wiring harness, throw away every bit of wiring in the car for fresh stuff, and drive the crap out of it. Maybe 5 speed swap (I think a Toyota R series/aisin cousins would work nicely) once you get it running and driving alright. Those rear brakes can be a real pain I think.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/13/15 6:25 p.m.
Kia_Racer wrote: Group 44 clone Challenge car!

I like the cut of this one's jib, Smithers!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZZenyggTdOwouv7BnfPiIDslTpglPdVBd6sgBJ9B8U6EkwlbP7Ks37C2vxuhq5C7