1 2
T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
9/28/11 10:49 a.m.

Still doesn't help me too much. I think the Subie would do better in the snow as a dd than a Z06.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
9/28/11 10:56 a.m.

In reply to camaroz1985:

I haven't driven a WRX yet, but yeah, there is a lot more $'s on the sticker for the STI over the WRX. The gizmos like the controlable center diff and the si-drive are fun little gimmicks, but outside of a track I don't see that they add much except for the g-whiz factor. Bigger brakes, changes to front suspension, a little wider tires, pink STI badging everywhere ( I mean everywhere), 6 speed vs 5 speed, and some extra horespower. My guess is that this car would stay stock for the most part, other than a set of snow tires, at least for the time being. The WRX is not exactly cheap either and I think if I went that way, I'd wish I had all the bells and whistles that the STi offers.

The idea of the entire engine sitting in front of the front wheels just rubs me the wrong way, both in terms of the resulting exterior styling as well as from the sheer wrongness of it. I imagine these cars understeer rather heavily when pushed to the limit.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
9/29/11 8:26 a.m.

Depends on how they are setup. I guess I've never actually driven a stock one, though I did autocross a friends Sti in stock class. It had a huge front bar but I still wouldn't say it understeered heavily. The simple matter is that most cars are setup to understeer at the limit from the factory.

With the DCCD, and LSDs on the STi this is alleviated. If you are the person that wants all the bells and whistles and tech that the STi has to offer (and I think I am that way deep down, as whatever transmission I put into my car will have DCCD, and LSD) then go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed, and the shifter can change. I drove one that had an adjustable Cobb shifter, and it felt great.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
9/29/11 4:00 p.m.
T.J. wrote: The idea of the entire engine sitting in front of the front wheels just rubs me the wrong way, both in terms of the resulting exterior styling as well as from the sheer wrongness of it. I imagine these cars understeer rather heavily when pushed to the limit.

You get used to the engine placement/heft and even come to appreciate it at times, though these are really quite easy to balance at the edge with the throttle and brakes. A load of extra negative camber up front and big sway bars goes a loooooong way to balance out the push.

+eleventy billion for aftermarket (I like Kartboy, YMMV) shifter bushings, both the round jobbers up front (controls fore and aft slop) and the linkage mount behind the shifter (controls side to side slop). That, and Subaru's Extra S gear oil, will nearly gain that Miata shift precision in a 6MT.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
9/29/11 5:39 p.m.

Isn't the rally class the EVO and the STI are built for in Japan limited to approx 300hp? That would account for the lack of HP advances.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/29/11 10:50 p.m.

wouldn't buy a new one, I liked the old wrx's with the oval headlights over the sti's, if u can find one thats not beat, buy it

B430
B430 New Reader
9/29/11 11:55 p.m.

i have a 2010 wrx base model. i have never had it on a track, and likely wont in the near future. As a do everything car it is great though, i have driven it in mud that was giving 4x4 trucks a difficult time (i know it had more to do with E36 M3ty stock tires on the truck, but i wasnt running mud tires either) i have driven it in snow over a foot deep. show me how many other cars can do this and still run 13s in the 1/4 mile, carry 5 people, and turn a respectable time around a track right off the showroom floor. Obviously it's not the best vehicle for any one thing, but it gets the job done in a pretty wide variety of roles.

and with some aftermarket upgrades i'm sure the lap times could be improved quite a bit, being 200lbs lighter than an STi would help quite a bit too. it seems the c&d testers biggest issues were understeer which is easily tuned away and the brakes not being up to the task, which really applies to almost all stock brake systems.

all in all for a $26000 car i think you get quite a bit for your $$, which is why i decided to buy a wrx, honestly i wouldnt buy an sti, but that's because apart from the cool factor, none of the upgrades on the sti would really make any performance difference on the street, and paying almost 30% more for cool gizmos is a bit hard to swallow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mu0MypJy1q5dYxcgsUgS5gT2zOZ6lV8ENLCDNG4DibiTJEC6o7wUgtm6GWD1NODl