1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 11:41 a.m.

'22 BRZ, Crystal White Pearl, 6spd, Limited. 

I had thought about waiting for the specs on the new Z, or STi........but I realize........I'm not going to spend $40k+ on a car that will likely not be driven much. Otherwise I'd already have a Supra in the garage. 

MSRP is $32k.

Tell me why I shouldn't do this.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/21 12:04 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Other than "never fly the A model of anything", I got nuthin'.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
7/29/21 12:05 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You already know this is the wrong place to ask that question.    devil

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
7/29/21 12:08 p.m.

Because the new Z will be a lot faster, and easier to make more powa. 

Opti
Opti Dork
7/29/21 12:25 p.m.

Because the Miata RF is the better lightweight sporty car and the Camaro (especially 1LE) is the better car with good driving dynamics but more power.

I think R&T did a comparo about the best track cars under 40K and those were the three they chose. 

P.S. I am a FRSBRZ fan.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
7/29/21 12:35 p.m.

Because you can have a 128i 6 speed that performs as well or better than a brz for 12k all while being much quicker with a few tweaks?

Just trying to come up with something since you asked us to. Would also MUCH rather have a 1LE americamaro machine with huge tires and horrible gas mileage that can lap faster than most things at a track day.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/29/21 12:45 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You should do it. It's your want and your money. Do it! 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 1:28 p.m.

I understand the 1LE, I test drove one a few years ago. But they are well north of $40k. 

The Z should will make more powa and torques, but it will also still have a Nissan interior. 

In reality, I don't HAVE to do anything. We both work from home, so only having the Mazda 3 isn't a big deal. But I'm getting bored not having a fun car. 

Should I be more patient?

STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/29/21 1:33 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I understand the 1LE, I test drove one a few years ago. But they are well north of $40k. 

The Z should will make more powa and torques, but it will also still have a Nissan interior.

V6 or 4 cyl 1LE camaros seem like better comparisons to the frisbees and don't cost $40k

Opti
Opti Dork
7/29/21 1:46 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

sorry this is what I was getting at. I love my SS 1LE, but compared to the subaru the 2.0 1LE is one to check out.

25% more power. Nice Flat torque curve, better weight distribution and lighter than the V8. Factory turbo so tuning is an option. The only real problem with the 2.0 1LEs is the V8 1lEs exist and the sound. They dont sound nice. Ive had bad experiences with the gm 3.6, i know theyve  gone through a bunch of iterations since then, and hopefully they have fixed some of the early reliability problems, but Im still soured on them.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/21 1:57 p.m.

I'm in the same boat as you. Don't need a new car, but really kinda want a fun new car. I also feel this is the last period of time in history when we'll be able to choose between 2 cheap, manual, 4-cylinder, N/A, non-hybrid, non-electrified, sub-3000 lb sports cars. So if not now, then when?

How soon are your dealers saying they can get you a '22? Miata inventory is pretty limited right now. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/29/21 2:01 p.m.

If you really want one, go for it.  They're not the car for me, tho...

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
7/29/21 2:02 p.m.

Why did you sell your previous BRZ?  The new one is quite close to the old one, platform is mostly the same.  Have they fixed what you didn't like about it? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

I put a track suspension on it for a 99% street car. And I wanted something "more grown up." So I traded it for the 135i. Which ate me alive. 

I really regretted selling the BRZ. And now that the engine appears to be much more flexible and only having gained 15lbs or so.........it has. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify to myself buying something new?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 2:14 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Don't need a new car, but really kinda want a fun new car. I also feel this is the last period of time in history when we'll be able to choose between 2 cheap, manual, 4-cylinder, N/A, non-hybrid, non-electrified, sub-3000 lb sports cars. So if not now, then when?

How soon are your dealers saying they can get you a '22? Miata inventory is pretty limited right now. 

He said Oct/Nov. So I think realistically it would be Nov/Dec. 

In my heart of hearts, I really want a Supra. I think they are dead sexy. But I'd likely have to go the next year without a car to save up to keep it reasonable. 

lnlds
lnlds Reader
7/29/21 2:24 p.m.

Because the sound will probably be lacking. I'm not a fan of subaru engines but if you like the noises it makes and everything then go for it. I think sound is a very underrated "need" when shopping for a car.

Because a turn key LFX RX-8 can be had for 10k less. Great +practical chassis and reliable powerplant with a bit more character or because  the ND2 RF will have much more overhead.

https://youtu.be/nDTGx2uGWxA (LFX rx-8 content to see if it makes you feel anything)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/29/21 2:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to Sonic :

I put a track suspension on it for a 99% street car. And I wanted something "more grown up." So I traded it for the 135i. Which ate me alive. 

I really regretted selling the BRZ. And now that the engine appears to be much more flexible and only having gained 15lbs or so.........it has. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify to myself buying something new?

Have you driven the competition? It sounds like you've (kind of) already had the Frisbee experience. You have an opportunity to try something else, or go back with something you (more or less) already know. I'd make sure you drive some others before committing. Why date your ex? Find some new fun. 

Of course, if you try out the strange and like the ex better, at least you know you're not leaving anything on the table. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 3:10 p.m.
ultraclyde said:
z31maniac said:

In reply to Sonic :

Have you driven the competition? It sounds like you've (kind of) already had the Frisbee experience. You have an opportunity to try something else, or go back with something you (more or less) already know. I'd make sure you drive some others before committing. Why date your ex? Find some new fun. 

Of course, if you try out the strange and like the ex better, at least you know you're not leaving anything on the table. 

What's the competition in this price range? The ND2? 

I've already owned 3 Miatas, not an ND, but I don't really want another convertible.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/29/21 3:19 p.m.

It's not a superlative car. But overall it's a great package. You obviously like it, which is important here. Do it!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/21 4:04 p.m.

Sounds like you ruined the daily manners of your old BRZ and want to give it a second chance. The new and improved '22 model is a great way to do that. I say go for it. But hey I'm just an enabler with a keyboard. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/21 4:43 p.m.

I think I'll go ahead and put down the deposit and get myself a place in line.

It's a refundable deposit, so if I change my mind, I can get my money back. 

parker
parker Reader
7/29/21 5:07 p.m.

Enjoy.  I don't really see the camaro as being a competitor.  Just too damn big and the visibility sucks.  Quicker around a racetrack doesn't mean more fun to drive on the street.  The supra would be a lot more compelling to me it you could get it in a manual.  The Z is an unknown until they are actually available.

My FR-S is hands down my favorite of the cars I've owned.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/21 6:03 p.m.

Am I the only one that wants to see the math on the 97.3% (or truthfully the 2.7% seems more interesting...)?

Do it! The revised '22 not only has a more flexible engine which seems to have some gains without any real trade offs, but the revised chassis (although heavily based on the old one) is supposed to be 60% stiffer torsionally and 50% stiffer laterally (or do I have that backwards?) The chassis gains came from small improvements in construction, connection points, and subframe attachment.

I still love my '13 I've owned since new as a fun non-convertible sporty street car...but some of the minor tweaks to the new one seem really appealing. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/30/21 6:07 a.m.

Very nice car. Get it and be happy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6RG3LHA9bU73XA8ccg34dL3qTjQRq8aYniNPkTWkah7yQyywVC0YwNcCv9Fxxgh4