1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 1:46 p.m.

Range Rover update! It's hard to explain what the acceleration issue is, and since a super short driving video of "this is the way it acts" is boring I went off-roading as well. Stay until the end, it's funny.

So yeah, if you have any ideas on why it runs smooth, accelerates fine at partial throttle, and pops like a popcorn machine at full throttle, please throw them out there.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/21 3:12 p.m.

Does it have an EGR circuit?  Have you checked that?  I've seen defective EGRs exhibit that exact same failure mode.  But I've never worked on RR's and know nothing about them save for some dreaded "3 Amigos" of Internet lore.

2/28/21 3:22 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Does it have an EGR circuit?  Have you checked that?  I've seen defective EGRs exhibit that exact same failure mode.  But I've never worked on RR's and know nothing about them save for some dreaded "3 Amigos" of Internet lore.

That is a really good question. I will look into that one!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/28/21 3:32 p.m.

You may be missing most of an exhaust lobe.  If its consistent based on throttle opening, you are letting stuff into the cylinder, you are compressing it, you are exploding it, and you are not letting it all out...until the intake valve opens.  Thats why it only shows up at higher throttle opening.  More stuff to get rid of.

Pull the valve covers, crank the engine over and I bet you see one valve not opening all the way.

Super common on late 70's Chev v8s.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/1/21 9:16 a.m.

Eighteen hours, and nobody has called me nuts?  I never know if that's people thinking, "He's too stupid to talk to." or, "Wow.  He's so smart, we have nothing left to add."

Or maybe a poor running Rover isn't newsworthy.

3/1/21 11:28 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Eighteen hours, and nobody has called me nuts?  I never know if that's people thinking, "He's too stupid to talk to." or, "Wow.  He's so smart, we have nothing left to add."

Or maybe a poor running Rover isn't newsworthy.

I suspect the latter.

I also suspect you may be right, sigh. 

FMB42
FMB42 New Reader
3/1/21 12:07 p.m.

"Super common on late 70's Chev v8s." The same can be said about mid '70s Fiats and Alfa Romeos. But hey, a RR for a bottle of Scotch should make for a interesting conversation for some years. As for me, I'd have done it in the blink of an eye and a very stiff drink or five once I got it home.

6/9/21 1:27 p.m.

So the little local trail/area that I go off-roading in (as seen in the last clip) got bought and they are actively turning it into a sub-division now. That means I have nowhere to take this thing without driving at least 20 minutes out of the city, and since it doesn't hold all the kids anyway, it's made it useless to our fleet. So now begins the process of shining it up for sale.

So, yeah, if you have a nice bottle of scotch and want a Range Rover...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/21 10:09 a.m.

Let me know when you head down to Big Bend / Big Bend Ranch, and I will try and meet up.  It's hundreds of miles off off-roading, scenery and sunsets like you've never seen.  It's also some of the most inhospitable terrain on Earth.  

6/10/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Damn, that looks awesome! 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/21 2:30 p.m.

I wish I lived closer to you all I could steal the wives H2 and we could have fun doing truck things in the woods.  

6/10/21 2:37 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Man, if I had a friend to go wheeling with I'd totally keep this thing. I don't know anybody closer than 3 states away with a 4x4, and I already learned the hard way to not go wheeling alone. 

7/11/21 9:59 p.m.

Well it took four days of work, but it's finally all cleaned up and ready for the new owner:

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/11/21 10:40 p.m.

Maaaaan what I would DO to have some off-roading a mere twenty minutes away. Closest trails we have are two hours from me.

7/11/21 11:24 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) :

I was spoiled to have two trails next door, that are now both subdivision construction sites. The spot twenty minutes away is a serious off road trail with restricted access. The next closest public area that's easy enough is an hour or so. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/12/21 5:06 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) :

I was spoiled to have two trails next door, that are now both subdivision construction sites. The spot twenty minutes away is a serious off road trail with restricted access. The next closest public area that's easy enough is an hour or so. 

Those things do serious off road trails surprisingly well. The amount of articulation is really silly for a stock vehicle.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/12/21 8:45 a.m.

So...since you're passing this on, did you ever figure out if the cam lobes are ok or not?

7/12/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

They are not. I have a new cam for it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3xTrx21VBitpD1cLMxAkmzltArC213RFeI3BkCqTV7TrzUO0fu2UDxkcoHQSS57